The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Who'll be doing Law at King's in 2006?

Hey, it's Ant, aka Cottonmouth (after my favorito film character EVER), and i just want to know who else will be starting law at kings in 2006.I will be, providing i get my 2 as n a b.Who is there at the moment, doing law, and what is it like.Also, i really want to get in stamford st, cus the location is easiest for lazy, chronically late me, but ive heard the rooms are so small people die of oxygen starvation during the night. Are they worth the money? And is it true King's is full of Tories? And is it true that unless you're really rich you'll end up hustling on the streets before the first term is over? And is it true that most people don't get firsts in the finals? Sorry about the 20 questions, but i'm really curious, as it is my firm choice. And to the people there now, does it live up to it's reputation? And is anyone else worried that the college is practically on the centre of the X that terrorist bombers are aiming for?
Oh and i might aswell introduce myself now because since finding this website, ive been on nearly every day, it's great. Im Ant, as i said earlier, 18, doing law after my gap year, cool guy, vice president of my 6th form, very opinionated, no-one can beat me in debates, i can't stand the conservative party, they make me wanna throw up.If people want pix, go to www.faceparty.com/sstush, i am not very comp-orientated so cnt get pictures up on here for sum reason.

Scroll to see replies

I like this guy! hehe!

I hate tories, and WILL beat you at a debate :wink:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Hiya Ant,

I'm starting this September (or rather I really hope I will be!)

I think pretty much all of the accomodation at King's is expensive - it's London. You get very little value for money generally, but for me the location of SS Apts makes the cost a little easier to bear.

I don't think King's is full of Tories - I've never even heard that stereotype before, and I didn't get that impression the three times I've been to King's. I know that there is quite a high proportion of non-state school students, but this doesn't go hand in hand with being Tory!

Out of 17,000 students, the majority aren't going to be rich, and the majority DO survive. We get slightly higher loans - and having to manage money carefully should be good practice for life generally. I don't think many students across the whole country could claim to be 'rich' - you just make the most of what you have. It's all part of the Uni experience I reckon. :biggrin:

Of course most people don't get firsts in the finals! What would the point be in the concept of a first if lots of students got it?! I think King's is known for being relatively stingy with firsts - I've heard a past student say that one year only two people in the entire year were awarded firsts - this is less than 1% of the cohort! But, in my opinion, it's just a greater incentive to work your ass off for that damn first. :p:

And the whole terrorism issue - of course it's worrying, but there's not much we can do about it. Manchester could equally be a target. Might as well just take each day as it comes.

Oh, and your comment about hating Tory people... it might be a good idea to not be that blatant (at least when making sweeping statments without backing them up) - there are LOTS of people on TSR who are also unbeaten debaters - such as me! :eek:

Anyway, hope you get the grades, might see you in 2006! x
Reply 3
Lauren18
Hiya Ant,

I'm starting this September (or rather I really hope I will be!)

I think pretty much all of the accomodation at King's is expensive - it's London. You get very little value for money generally, but for me the location of SS Apts makes the cost a little easier to bear.

I don't think King's is full of Tories - I've never even heard that stereotype before, and I didn't get that impression the three times I've been to King's. I know that there is quite a high proportion of non-state school students, but this doesn't go hand in hand with being Tory!

Out of 17,000 students, the majority aren't going to be rich, and the majority DO survive. We get slightly higher loans - and having to manage money carefully should be good practice for life generally. I don't think many students across the whole country could claim to be 'rich' - you just make the most of what you have. It's all part of the Uni experience I reckon. :biggrin:

Of course most people don't get firsts in the finals! What would the point be in the concept of a first if lots of students got it?! I think King's is known for being relatively stingy with firsts - I've heard a past student say that one year only two people in the entire year were awarded firsts - this is less than 1% of the cohort! But, in my opinion, it's just a greater incentive to work your ass off for that damn first. :p:

And the whole terrorism issue - of course it's worrying, but there's not much we can do about it. Manchester could equally be a target. Might as well just take each day as it comes.

Oh, and your comment about hating Tory people... it might be a good idea to not be that blatant (at least when making sweeping statments without backing them up) - there are LOTS of people on TSR who are also unbeaten debaters - such as me! :eek:

Anyway, hope you get the grades, might see you in 2006! x

Hehe cheers for the reply.Yeh maybe i shouldnt be so blaant ans sure of myself- but in my experience not many people beat me in debates.Although, i get slated for the analogies i often use!Thanks for the info, it reassures me a wee bit, and yeh, good advice about the terrorism thing. I dnt want to have to bring a gas mask and chainmail suits with me!and good luck with ur exams.I have them all over the next 2 weeks and am crapping myself- especially about the English exams
Reply 4
Phonicsdude
I like this guy! hehe!

I hate tories, and WILL beat you at a debate :wink:

Haha xheers, i like thee too for your mixture of flattery, with a dash of daring.You would'nt out- debate me, ever! Gimme a topic, and when i can be arsed i'll do it over!
Reply 5
cottonmouth
Haha xheers, i like thee too for your mixture of flattery, with a dash of daring.You would'nt out- debate me, ever! Gimme a topic, and when i can be arsed i'll do it over!

Wow! Yet another King's lawyer! And another one you doesn't like tories ... it's all good!

I'll take that debate challenge!

My topic is ....

To what extent are current trade and financial cycles hindering the development of LDC industry and diversification away from primary product exports?

You'd better not do economics! :biggrin:

[PS. I'm another King's lawyer, hopefully next year] :smile:
How about something simpler and divisive.

Euthanasia...right or wrong?

Im such a badass Ill let you decide which side you wanna take :wink:
Reply 7
Phonicsdude
How about something simpler and divisive.

Euthanasia...right or wrong?

Im such a badass Ill let you decide which side you wanna take :wink:

Oooh... I LOVE this debate (in a non-weird way), but revision must take priority right now... will reply at some point though! x
Reply 8
cottonmouth
Hehe cheers for the reply.Yeh maybe i shouldnt be so blaant ans sure of myself- but in my experience not many people beat me in debates.Although, i get slated for the analogies i often use!Thanks for the info, it reassures me a wee bit, and yeh, good advice about the terrorism thing. I dnt want to have to bring a gas mask and chainmail suits with me!and good luck with ur exams.I have them all over the next 2 weeks and am crapping myself- especially about the English exams

Aaah, well good luck with exams. I think most people are cr@pping themselves right now - there's so much hanging on A2 exams; I keep reminding myself 'look, you've only got to get BCC this year to get AAB overall; but the pressure is still a bit much! Best wishes, let me know how your exams go; and I'll see you next year with gas mask and chainmail suit :rolleyes:
Lauren18

Not all Tories are bad :biggrin: See, for example, One Nation Conservatism :biggrin:

If I remember correctly from my interview, the Conservative Party has most members compared to all others at King's. Indeed, Labour and the Lib Dems had so few that their societies closed for 2004/5! :rofl: (as I said - if I remember correctly...).
Reply 10
phillipsm
Not all Tories are bad :biggrin: See, for example, One Nation Conservatism :biggrin:

If I remember correctly from my interview, the Conservative Party has most members compared to all others at King's. Indeed, Labour and the Lib Dems had so few that their societies closed for 2004/5! :rofl: (as I said - if I remember correctly...).

Well I'll be starting the LibDemSoc back up!
Everyone who goes to kings does law regardless of what they apply for. I bet I wake up hungover and a law student within 2 months.
Lauren, what will you do with your political soc?

Conservative Soc, a branch of the Tory's Conservative Future youth arm, just go drinking and date-hunting in packs. Effective, but not quite, er what's the word, civil?

What will you do? And to make sure this is relevant... make sure your proposal is legal :-P
Reply 13
feelthesunshine
Lauren, what will you do with your political soc?

Conservative Soc, a branch of the Tory's Conservative Future youth arm, just go drinking and date-hunting in packs. Effective, but not quite, er what's the word, civil?

What will you do? And to make sure this is relevant... make sure your proposal is legal :-P

We will go drinking with Charles Kennedy...

and we will send annoying emails to Tony Blair...

and we will join The Long Walk to Justice - because it is obviously going to be SO darn effective... all those people flying and sailing to the UK, the people of Edinburgh opening their doors without a care in the world... all singing along to 'Speed of Sound' as some old scruff talks about 'tilting the world on its axis'...

and we will dress in orangey yellow at least once a week as a sign of our dedication (see Pink Day in 'Mean Girls')...

* Some members may even like to dye their hair ginger; to both represent the party and Charlie; although this is not obligatory *

and we will pledge to give our future children stupid old-fashioned names such as Donald (ahem... Mr Kennedy, 'tis 2005 me dear!)...

and we will be nice to everybody and refuse to call someone a liar - even when we blatantly think that he is... because that's really clever...

and we will sell Make Poverty History wristbands... made by people in Africa who are paid a pittence...

and we will abolish the mandatory life sentence for King's murderers... because they're good people really... we blame the parents...

and we will do lots of other things, because we are the society. King's is no longer a two-society University - it's a THREE-society University.

Hmph.. I'm tired, it's nearly 1 am :eek:
Lauren18
Well I'll be starting the LibDemSoc back up!

*raise hand* im in :biggrin:
cottonmouth
Hey, it's Ant, aka Cottonmouth (after my favorito film character EVER), and i just want to know who else will be starting law at kings in 2006.I will be, providing i get my 2 as n a b.Who is there at the moment, doing law, and what is it like.Also, i really want to get in stamford st, cus the location is easiest for lazy, chronically late me, but ive heard the rooms are so small people die of oxygen starvation during the night. Are they worth the money? And is it true King's is full of Tories? And is it true that unless you're really rich you'll end up hustling on the streets before the first term is over? And is it true that most people don't get firsts in the finals? Sorry about the 20 questions, but i'm really curious, as it is my firm choice. And to the people there now, does it live up to it's reputation? And is anyone else worried that the college is practically on the centre of the X that terrorist bombers are aiming for?
Oh and i might aswell introduce myself now because since finding this website, ive been on nearly every day, it's great. Im Ant, as i said earlier, 18, doing law after my gap year, cool guy, vice president of my 6th form, very opinionated, no-one can beat me in debates, i can't stand the conservative party, they make me wanna throw up.If people want pix, go to www.faceparty.com/sstush, i am not very comp-orientated so cnt get pictures up on here for sum reason.

alright mate *nod*

watcha doin in ur gap year?
Reply 16
kidney thief
*raise hand* im in :biggrin:

Yay! 2 members... we're on our way up in the world. :tsr:
Lauren18
Yay! 2 members... we're on our way up in the world. :tsr:

woo!

dont think itll be a good idea to go drinking with kennedy tho... :s-smilie:
phillipsm
Indeed, Labour and the Lib Dems had so few that their societies closed for 2004/5! :rofl: (as I said - if I remember correctly...).

I believe that's because the single member of the Labour soc graduated so there was nobody to take over the reins :rolleyes:
If I go to KCL I'm in! Lib Dems woo!

Latest