The Student Room Group

A Level Subject Choices

We just recently had careers people come in and talk to us about what careers we'd like to go into. I want to be a journalist when I've completed school and I wanted to take for my A levels English Lit, Spanish, RS and Geography because I thought English Lit for journalism is obviously good, a langauge is good and RS and Geography would give me a wider knowledge of the world, people and economics.

However, my career interviewer advised me to take English Lang, Spanish, History and Politics & Government. The thing is, I didn't take History for GCSE and I'm not sure how good I would be at it and I don't want to sacrifice my grades. Politics is closely related to History. I didn't want to take English Lang because I thought it was a lot more about why language is used, etc rather than writing and is less respected than Lit as you can't do degrees in Lang-only in the top Unis like Oxbridge, etc. He told me I was wrong though. What is the truth? Which subjects would I be better off taking? Should I listen to him?

If it helps, I'm predicted A*s in all my subjects. And you can't do a combined Lit & Lang course at my school.
Reply 1
S_123
We just recently had careers people come in and talk to us about what careers we'd like to go into. I want to be a journalist when I've completed school and I wanted to take for my A levels English Lit, Spanish, RS and Geography because I thought English Lit for journalism is obviously good, a langauge is good and RS and Geography would give me a wider knowledge of the world, people and economics.

However, my career interviewer advised me to take English Lang, Spanish, History and Politics & Government. The thing is, I didn't take History for GCSE and I'm not sure how good I would be at it and I don't want to sacrifice my grades. Politics is closely related to History. I didn't want to take English Lang because I thought it was a lot more about why language is used, etc rather than writing and is less respected than Lit as you can't do degrees in Lang-only in the top Unis like Oxbridge, etc. He told me I was wrong though. What is the truth? Which subjects would I be better off taking? Should I listen to him?

If it helps, I'm predicted A*s in all my subjects. And you can't do a combined Lit & Lang course at my school.

These career advisor people are usually planks, you'll get better advice on TSR tbh. Take English Lit instead, it's better for your degree choice I'd say. Also English lang is looked down compared to lit at Oxbridge so... it's your call.
Reply 2
They are usually planks to be honest like the person above said.
Take what you enjoy, i'd recommend english lit over lang it is respected and more enjoyable especially if you like reading like i assume you do!
RS I loved at As level i would really recommend it. Maybe take history instead of geog i personally think it is better, but do what you can do best in.
Definitely take spanish it will look really good.

Seriously, for journalism there isnt really any right or wrong subjects,take what you want as long as you have english.
Reply 3
Do whatever A-levels want to do. No specific A-levels are required for journalism though at least one essay based subject is a good idea. On the English A-level issue, English Lit is better respected than lang but again take whichever meets your needs/ interests.
S_123

I'm no expert but:

English Lit, Spanish, RS and Geography

v

English Lang, Spanish, History and Politics.

Tbh, I prefer your options for journalism.

And yeah, go for your choices, because I like the fact that they are very contrasting to each other + with the English Lit which will give you analytical skills and a better A-level for uni.

Honestly, your choices are fine. :yep:

Don't listen to your careers advisor - if you want to do RS and Geography, do so!

I mean, why do people hail History as the master of all the arts A-levels? Pathetic.

And tbh, English Lit > English Lang. :yep:

Plus all four of your choices are VERY respected. So keep them. Plus you have enthusiasm for them, i.e. more likely to do get a better grade.

Your choices are fine and brilliant may I add. Keep them. :smile:

Btw - to the people who wants to say to the OP "Do a science", "Drop RS and Geography - they're doss subjects" - please don't.

The OP does not need to do a science, it's not by all means necessary.
And also, RS and Geo are not doss and not weaker than RS. Really hate people that say that.

:smile:
Reply 5
Jinxy
They are usually planks to be honest like the person above said.
Take what you enjoy, i'd recommend english lit over lang it is respected and more enjoyable especially if you like reading like i assume you do!
RS I loved at As level i would really recommend it. Maybe take history instead of geog i personally think it is better, but do what you can do best in.
Definitely take spanish it will look really good.

Seriously, for journalism there isnt really any right or wrong subjects,take what you want as long as you have english.

But would I be able to cope with History in A level as I didn't take it for GCSE? It was one of my worst subjects - in fact, it was the worst apart from sport - and that's why I dropped it.
I may be better now, now that I have a better understanding for essay writing. Do you think it would be okay to take if you were never really that good? (By that I mean achieving A/Bs instead of A*s in Year 9).
Your options are amazing really, hence the reason mine are pretty similar :p: I started out with History as a 5th... Didnt do it at GCSE btw and struggled to say the least... Your choices all the way XD
Reply 7
S_123
But would I be able to cope with History in A level as I didn't take it for GCSE? It was one of my worst subjects - in fact, it was the worst apart from sport - and that's why I dropped it.
I may be better now, now that I have a better understanding for essay writing. Do you think it would be okay to take if you were never really that good? (By that I mean achieving A/Bs instead of A*s in Year 9).

If you're good at subjects such as english and religious studies i think you will do well at history.

I achieved a C at GCSE and am getting A's now at a level. :smile:
It's possible, just need to have an interest in it and learn the exam technique for essay writing.

If you dont like the idea of it ,dont do it.

Latest