The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Biological Sciences 2010...

So yeah I am thinking of applying for the three year Biological Sciences course in the academic year starting Sept/Oct 2010 =]

Can anyone tell me a bit more about the course who does it?

Also is it easy to continue on to do a fourth year (to make it up to a Masters) at another university since Warwick doesn't offer this?

Also, I know that Warwick is a very highly regarded and academic university- but whats the social life like?? I want to have crazy university times to look back on, not to mention a damaged liver!! (obviously a joke.. but i do like to drink!)

:o:
I'm applying there too for 2010...i kinda wanna know the same things.
hope you dont mind me eavesdropping...
X
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Haha not at all =]

Anyone help?
Reply 3
First of all you're mistaken. You think the 4 year undergrad MSci is the same as an MSc (masters), the latter being postgraduate.

Warwick, ironically is actually in coventry... so you have cov town centre and birmingham, not the nicest location and the campus is quite bland. (I'd rather go nottingham)

As for the course, it's brilliant:

Modules 1-4: (Core) Biological Sciences modules (topics covered include Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Agents of Infectious Disease, Biostatistics, Physiology).
Module 5: (Core) Chemistry for Biological Sciences, except for entrants with A level Chemistry, who may take an Option from: Quantitative Biology; Animal and Plant Biology; Psychology; or a Language module.
Year Two
Modules 1-8: (Core) Molecular Biology (2); Immunology; Cell Biology; Evolution; Molecular Plant Development; Ecology and its Application; Neurobiology.
Modules 9-12: (Options) from: Protein Structure and Function; Ecological Principles and Processes; Environmental Health Microbiology; Bacterial Pathogens and their Environment; Bacterial Diversity and Metabolism; Clinical Microbiology; Molecular Genetics; Medical Microbiology; Eukaryotic Microbial Pathogens; Cell Signalling; Biological Oceanography; Medical Virology; Virus-Host Relationships; Virus Replication; Antibiotics and Chemotherapy; Molecular Endocrinology; Transgenic Technology and its Application; A choice of laboratory modules.
Year Three
Options to total 6 modules from: Development; Infectious Diseases and Health; Environmental Science and Management; Bacterial Pathogenicity; Biological Clocks; Advanced Immunology; Oncology; Vaccination and Gene Therapy; Exploiting Innovation in Biology; Protein Targeting; Integrative Neurosciences; Clinical Pharmacology; Science Communication; Post Genomic Research and Options from other departments.
So course is good.
But campus and area not?
sinesquared.
So course is good.
But campus and area not?

You shouldn't go off one persons opinion, you need to go and look for yourself. I was a bit wary until I visited, I'm going to be starting the biological sciences course in two weeks and can't wait.
WhatawickedDJ
You shouldn't go off one persons opinion, you need to go and look for yourself. I was a bit wary until I visited, I'm going to be starting the biological sciences course in two weeks and can't wait.

I was more getting verification...
I REALLY want to go there especially this course.
Aw thats really exciting!
Good luck and let me know how it actually is :biggrin: ?
I really want to go there too =]

Its going to be amazing!! (hoping i get in...)
Reply 8
The campus is great. There was a survey of uni campuses a few years back and it was voted the best in the country. It's true that it doesn't have big grand old buildings, but it has lots of green space and trees, is compact so that everything's in easy walking distance, and some amazing facilities including an arts centre (biggest one in the UK outside London, factfans) and the union is currently undergoing regeneration (due to finish in the next few months) after which it will be one of the best, if not the best, student unions in the country.

Warwick's fab.
Reply 9
megaduck
The campus is great. There was a survey of uni campuses a few years back and it was voted the best in the country. It's true that it doesn't have big grand old buildings, but it has lots of green space and trees, is compact so that everything's in easy walking distance, and some amazing facilities including an arts centre (biggest one in the UK outside London, factfans) and the union is currently undergoing regeneration (due to finish in the next few months) after which it will be one of the best, if not the best, student unions in the country.

Warwick's fab.

For the biologists they are separated from the main campus, secluded by a forest.

I didn't like that + the buildings are from the 70's.

Each to there own.
Reply 10
c12andn15
For the biologists they are separated from the main campus, secluded by a forest.

The walk through Tocil Wood is lovely. Gibbet Hill is hardly a million miles away from central campus.

Like you say, each to their own. I just wouldn't want anyone to be put off Warwick by the mistaken idea it's this horrible grim place.
megaduck
The walk through Tocil Wood is lovely. Gibbet Hill is hardly a million miles away from central campus.

Like you say, each to their own. I just wouldn't want anyone to be put off Warwick by the mistaken idea it's this horrible grim place.

It's far from horrible and grim!

It's about a 7-10 minute walk from the central campus and it's the nicest buildings, so bio has it good.

The physics dept however... looks like it should be demolished lol
Reply 12
c12andn15
IThe physics dept however... looks like it should be demolished lol

They're kind of on the case..not demolishing it but building a nice new bit...

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/physics/events/news/?newsItem=094d43f62240f0630122601c200d3275

Latest

Trending

Trending