The Student Room Group

The Great Mooncup Thread / FAQ

Scroll to see replies

^I've done similar. I went to Japan and completely forgot about it..Nothing bad happened, but still.
Hm, yeah. I was always really diligent with changing tampons, but since there's apparently never been any case of TSS through using a mooncup, I've been kind of lazy with it and realised yesterday I'd left it in for 24 hours :s-smilie: not something I plan on doing often, but I didn't experience any ill effects, and I was just wondering whether I was lucky, or whether it generally is okay to leave them in for that long.

On a sidenote, I'm really glad I persevered with using the mooncup :biggrin: I was ready to throw it away after the first month because I hated it and it kept leaking and feeling very uncomfortable, but I don't think I could ever go back to tampons now :woo:
Reply 722
Choccy94
As far as I know, you can buy it from any general supermarket, and I don't think it removes staining from clothes etc but will probably remove any blood 'stains' from your cup :smile:

I got some from Boots, easy to find around the baby stuff. I'm not sure if I made the solution too strong as I put a whole tablet in a container much smaller than advised. Is the cup supposed to smell of disinfectant after? I'm just worried it might harm my insides...also is it ok to put hands straight into the solution or would it be bad for skin? Sorry I'm just a bit clueless and it doesn't say much on the milton package.

---
I've probably left mine in for 24 hours too. Towards the beginning though it needs emptying so I couldn't possibly leave it that long. So I think think its going to hurt if done occasionally. One of the reasons I much prefer it to tampons, no need to hurry to change it. :smile:

Wonder if anyone has ever left one in for days/weeks because they forgot about it :eek:
hkate
I got some from Boots, easy to find around the baby stuff. I'm not sure if I made the solution too strong as I put a whole tablet in a container much smaller than advised. Is the cup supposed to smell of disinfectant after? I'm just worried it might harm my insides...also is it ok to put hands straight into the solution or would it be bad for skin? Sorry I'm just a bit clueless and it doesn't say much on the milton package.

---
I've probably left mine in for 24 hours too. Towards the beginning though it needs emptying so I couldn't possibly leave it that long. So I think think its going to hurt if done occasionally. One of the reasons I much prefer it to tampons, no need to hurry to change it. :smile:

Wonder if anyone has ever left one in for days/weeks because they forgot about it :eek:

Mine does, never done me any harm. If I can be bothered I soak it in plain water afterwards anyways =)
I think its generally ok to leave it in for up to 24 hours. The only reason they say not to leave it in for long periods of time with tampons is because of the risk of TSS and if you don't have that with tampons then there is not really a risk of anything is there?..

I have a friend as well who regularly leaves it in for long periods of time (I think 24 hours) because she is on the pill or some kind of medication which means she spots a lot, and she loves the mooncup because she can just leave it up there and not worry about anything.
mangomaz
I think its generally ok to leave it in for up to 24 hours. The only reason they say not to leave it in for long periods of time with tampons is because of the risk of TSS and if you don't have that with tampons then there is not really a risk of anything is there?..

I have a friend as well who regularly leaves it in for long periods of time (I think 24 hours) because she is on the pill or some kind of medication which means she spots a lot, and she loves the mooncup because she can just leave it up there and not worry about anything.

You don't need to worry about leaving it in. The only thing is whether it will fill up or not, and you know how heavy your period usually is. I can leave mine in for over a day and I'm fine. I love how relaxing it makes your period!
Reply 726
I have joined! :biggrin: I think I heard about mooncups for the first time right here actually, and recently thought I should give it a go. Bought one yesterday and getting on fine. Woo :smile:.
Just bought one online this now! :biggrin:
I'm actually kind of excited, there seems to be quite a hype around them.
I was just thinking yesterday how much I love my mooncup. It is really a wonderful thing.
Mine arrived today.
I tried it but...yeah, I think I'll have another go tomorrow :afraid:
chemical_bex
Mine arrived today.

Just relax totally, and try it different ways till you find what suits you.
xx
These might help
Anonymous
These might help

:confused:

chemical_bex
Mine arrived today.

Reminds me of these,when I emailed for advice
(edited 13 years ago)
hissyfit
:confused:

Reminds me of these,when I emailed for advice

Sorry I forgot to paste the links,of the different folds.

http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/453392.html
I had my first severe mooncup leakage incident today :frown: I'm not entirely sure what caused it, though. The only thing I can think of is the positioning of it, although it seemed fine when I checked it afterwards. I suppose it's possible that it was badly positioned at some point during the day, but then corrected itself while I was walking or something, but does anyone know of anything else that can cause the mooncup to leak?
Original post by LostHorizons
I had my first severe mooncup leakage incident today :frown: I'm not entirely sure what caused it, though. The only thing I can think of is the positioning of it, although it seemed fine when I checked it afterwards. I suppose it's possible that it was badly positioned at some point during the day, but then corrected itself while I was walking or something, but does anyone know of anything else that can cause the mooncup to leak?

Use a pin and make sure all the tiny holes in the rim are cleared out :smile: xx
I found that sports made mine could leak. Bad luck or holes being blocked as well...
Ah, okay. I never thought about the holes, will have to clear them out later :smile:
Reply 738
Does anyone know some effective tablets which could be used for sterilisation? I'm going travelling for 5.5 months next year and won't exactly be able to boil my Mooncup XD

Also, thank you for making this thread... it's how I found out about the Mooncup ^^ I started using mine 3 months ago, hated it the first day, had problems with removal at first but now I love it :smile: Makes everything so much easier!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by xconfetti
Does anyone know some effective tablets which could be used for sterilisation? I'm going travelling for 5.5 months this year and won't exactly be able to boil my Mooncup XD

Also, thank you for making this thread ^^ I started using mine 3 months ago, hated it the first day, had problems with removal at first but now I love it :smile: Makes everything so much easier!!

I use Milton tablets, they're designed for sterilizing baby bottles and stuff like that. :smile:

http://www.boots.com/en/Milton-Sterilising-Tablets_25422/?CAWELAID=334489049&cm_mmc=Shopping%20Engines-_-Google%20Base-_---_-Milton%20Sterilising%20Tablets

Quick Reply

Latest