The Student Room Group

The Great Mooncup Thread / FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
What about rinsing it out between uses when I'm in Africa? Obviously I'm not going to use water from a well or anything, and I know that in most countries they only advise that you don't drink the water because it's different to what you are used to, in which case it would be fine. However I'm not sure if this is the case in Kenya, anyone know any more about this?
can you get them from high street shops?? my mum sas i can get one but not off of the website. if you can which shop and how much?
Reply 62
Lessthanthree,
Loving the mooncup post! What a great read that was - highlight of my day so far I think - very informative and god was that a hilarious piece of writing.
You haven't convinced me to convert yet though I'm afraid, that would take some doing, (maybe a couple of babies) Like someone else said, tampons scare the hell out of me let alone something that sounds 3 times the size...
One question - when you remove it and put it back in, you're obviously not meant to wash it because in public loo's that would involve nipping out of the loo to sink with pants down ankles???...So wouldn't you get it all over your hands and inevitably the toilet door knob too? I guess probably not, excuse my ignorance. Again, great post!
Reply 63
Couple of questions girlies before I think about trying this..

1) I am on Cerazette and have quite funny periods where sometimes the flow is very light then sometimes very heavy. Not worried about it leaking but worried that it might be sore if theres not much blood around and it's a bit dry? Ouchies.

2) I quite often, say once every 6 weeks, get cystitis. Believe me, I do everything to prevent it, but I just..get it..I'm very run down and it's my weak spot. I know the mooncup won't especially hold bacteria but will it make my cystitis worse in anyway? Fearing if I can't get all the pee out without fiddling around with it, it won't work for me.

Thanks lessthan3 and all of you lovely ladies :smile:
Reply 64
is it hygenic? it sure doesnt to me
andyj72
is it hygenic? it sure doesnt to me
Well then you must think tampons are discusting things!!

It's cleaner and safer than using a tampon, because bacteria can't grow in it as easily, if at all...

I'm no expert but I'd say out of the three basic options [pad, tampon or mooncup] for a woman, I'd say the mooncup was the MOST hygenic!!
is it possible to get mooncups from high street shops or not??? if you can which shops and how much??
Reply 67
trish xx
is it possible to get mooncups from high street shops or not??? if you can which shops and how much??

Hey
You can get them from Boots for the same price as on the website or near enough, £17.99.

I'm now in the middle of my fourth month of mooncup use! Ive now completely removed the stem. So far so good still, i have had a teeny bit of leakage but that was because it seemed to be sitting to the side a bit (god knows how). But i've sorted that out now. Managed to convert a few of my friends and my sister too. Not my mum though!
Good luck everyone who is using for the first time.
xxx
Reply 68
Going to go on the website and do some research about cystitis and also email a few cystitis websites that I use for advise and see what they say, will post back with what I find out incase it helps anyone else :smile:
Jenna999
Hey
You can get them from Boots for the same price as on the website or near enough, £17.99.

I'm now in the middle of my fourth month of mooncup use! Ive now completely removed the stem. So far so good still, i have had a teeny bit of leakage but that was because it seemed to be sitting to the side a bit (god knows how). But i've sorted that out now. Managed to convert a few of my friends and my sister too. Not my mum though!
Good luck everyone who is using for the first time.
xxx

is the really big boots coz i looked into my local (quite big) boots and i can't find them??
Reply 70
SW
Well then you must think tampons are discusting things!!

It's cleaner and safer than using a tampon, because bacteria can't grow in it as easily, if at all...

I'm no expert but I'd say out of the three basic options [pad, tampon or mooncup] for a woman, I'd say the mooncup was the MOST hygenic!!

hmm really, ok cool. i dont really know much about them thats why.
Reply 71
trish xx
is the really big boots coz i looked into my local (quite big) boots and i can't find them??

Nope it's not a big boots at all really. Just a town-sized one. Try somewhere like Holland and Barrett, they might sell them.
Did you ask anyone at Boots?
umm...well i would be lieing if i said yes...so nope....i'll get ma mum to go and get one...
This sounds great! It has opened my eyes to the world of alternative menstrual products. Mooncup is a UK product. From my google search it would be cheaper for me to buy the North American version called the Diva Cup.

Also, have you heard of Luna Pads? I also discovered these in my search. They are reusable cotton pads and panty liners. I'm going to order a Diva Cup and some Luna Pads for sleeping.

www.lunapads.com
never heard of them til now....there again i hadn't heard about mooncups til a little while ago.....
Reply 75
Ok some cystitis things..the material the mooncup is made of seems not to let e-coli which is what often causes cystitis hold onto it. It's a better alternative than tampons which push the bacteria up further, or sanitary towels which can mean cross contamination fromthe bacteria from your bottom which isn't very nice. A website that promotes mooncups also promotes natural remedies to cystitis so it seems like it'd be quite a reasonable alternative.
Reply 76
I remember on the last thread some people were worried about going swimming with a mooncup incase it leaked, so I thought I'd make a list of things I've done with my mooncup. It hasn't leaked at all.

Normal Stuff - standing, sitting, lying down, walking
Running (sprint)
Swimming
Canoeing
Waterskiing
Kitesurfing

Any one else got anything? We could make a huge list of mooncup safe activities.
still can't fins mooncups anywhere in town:frown: will try to persude mum to let me order one... wish me luck :rolleyes:
yay my mooncup is now coming!!finally persuaded my mum:P: :biggrin:
Reply 79
yeah ive heard about diva cups and luna pads.....so diva cup is the same as a moon cup...moon cup is just the uk version right......yeah i should go get me one of htose...been meaning to for ages

Quick Reply

Latest