The Student Room Group

The Great Mooncup Thread / FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Had mine for like a year now. So much less waste! Awesome. And no carrying stupid little bags obviously stuffed full of 'girl things'.
I like it when I can claim to be doing good things for the environment when I'm actually just doing things that are easier for me. :cool:
Reply 841
Bump :thumbup :biggrin:

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2
Can a menstrual cup be used for discharge? I've been getting it very heavy mid cycle since I had my coil fitted.
Reply 843
Original post by Anonymous
Can a menstrual cup be used for discharge? I've been getting it very heavy mid cycle since I had my coil fitted.

Depends how soon your coil was fitted. If it was very recently then cups aren't advised - but then neither are tampons. If it was a few months ago then yes, that's fine. However,be absolutely sure that it is normal discharge, as it maybe symptoms of an infection - is it a weird colour or consistency, or does it smell? If so, doctors asap!
Original post by Juno
Depends how soon your coil was fitted. If it was very recently then cups aren't advised - but then neither are tampons. If it was a few months ago then yes, that's fine. However,be absolutely sure that it is normal discharge, as it maybe symptoms of an infection - is it a weird colour or consistency, or does it smell? If so, doctors asap!

Thanks for your reply :smile: I got it fitted four months ago. Yes I'm certain it's normal discharge and not an infection I'm in a monogamous relationship and both my boyfriend and I have been tested and have no STIs and I've had both thrush and BV in the past and it's different from that. It also only happens mid cycle then goes away, no strange colour or smell just normal discharge but more of it (although it sometimes gives me a nappy rash style rash which is comfortable :frown:) I asked the nurse about it at the clinic I got it fitted at, apparently it's a common side effect (its the copper one I got).
*uncomfortable
Reply 846
Thanks for your reply :smile: I got it fitted four months ago. Yes I'm certain it's normal discharge and not an infection I'm in a monogamous relationship and both my boyfriend and I have been tested and have no STIs and I've had both thrush and BV in the past and it's different from that. It also only happens mid cycle then goes away, no strange colour or smell just normal discharge but more of it (although it sometimes gives me a nappy rash style rash which is comfortable :frown:) I asked the nurse about it at the clinic I got it fitted at, apparently it's a common side effect (its the copper one I got).

I don't mean an STI kind of infection

Yes you can use it for discharge, theres no issue using it like that as they're not absorbant.
Reply 848
Anyone else find that they get cramps less whilst using a cup than they do with towels/tampons?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 849
Original post by gemmam
Anyone else find that they get cramps less whilst using a cup than they do with towels/tampons?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That seems to be quite a common side effect

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 850
Original post by Juno
That seems to be quite a common side effect

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did a quick google search and it seems it is. I wonder why? Its a pitty I didnt know about mensural cups when I was younger.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 851
Original post by gemmam
I did a quick google search and it seems it is. I wonder why? Its a pitty I didnt know about mensural cups when I was younger.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Two main theories seem to be:

tampons are absorbant so suck the blood out faster, which can then cause cramping as your body doesn't like it. Cups don't do this so less cramping. However, this doesn't explain the pads issue.

Cramps are partly psychosomatic. Using cups can change how you feel about periods, which means your brain isn't saying "periods are evil!" and this then causes the cramps to stop.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need help :frown: I'm not getting on with my Mooncup at all!

I got it 2 months ago. I have no problems inserting it and removing it, and it feels very comfortable (I trimmed the whole stem off as even with a tiny bit on, it felt like the inside of my vagina was being clawed out!).

My problem is slight leakage! No matter what I do, I can't stop it leaking. I'm following the instructions to insert it, and it feels comfortable - I'm running a finger around to check the seal, and it seems sealed. However, after around half an hour (sometimes less) it's leaking, and yet when I check it it's nowhere near full.

I can't work out what in doing wrong but I really want the Mooncup to work! Any ideas, ladies? :frown:
Original post by snowyowl
I need help :frown: I'm not getting on with my Mooncup at all!

I got it 2 months ago. I have no problems inserting it and removing it, and it feels very comfortable (I trimmed the whole stem off as even with a tiny bit on, it felt like the inside of my vagina was being clawed out!).

My problem is slight leakage! No matter what I do, I can't stop it leaking. I'm following the instructions to insert it, and it feels comfortable - I'm running a finger around to check the seal, and it seems sealed. However, after around half an hour (sometimes less) it's leaking, and yet when I check it it's nowhere near full.

I can't work out what in doing wrong but I really want the Mooncup to work! Any ideas, ladies? :frown:

The only thing I could recommend is trying a different brand of cup. Feminiewear.co.uk sell several different brands and some of those brands have much more selection in style, size, firmness etc.

If you're on fb, people might have some ideas on this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/femininewearforum/?fref=ts
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
The only thing I could recommend is trying a different brand of cup. Feminiewear.co.uk sell several different brands and some of those brands have much more selection in style, size, firmness etc.

If you're on fb, people might have some ideas on this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/femininewearforum/?fref=ts

I did consider getting another cup, but at £20 a pop, it's quite expensive working your way through all the cups available... If it comes to it I will certainly get another though.

I'll try the FB group... Doesn't everyone see what you post on other groups though? It always comes up on my feed when people post on statuses of groups/people I don't know and I wouldn't want everyone to know about me and my Mooncup :o:
Original post by snowyowl
I did consider getting another cup, but at £20 a pop, it's quite expensive working your way through all the cups available... If it comes to it I will certainly get another though.

I'll try the FB group... Doesn't everyone see what you post on other groups though? It always comes up on my feed when people post on statuses of groups/people I don't know and I wouldn't want everyone to know about me and my Mooncup :o:

Meluna is £11.50 and has several options. I wish I had known about them before I got my moon cup. Moon cup has been fine for me but meluna is prettier and has more choice.

I'm sure you can toggle the privacy settings in groups, you can probably control who sees the individual posts. Also, its a closed group so I think your friends would have to be members to see anything you post.

Quick Reply

Latest