The Student Room Group

does it make a difference

Hi people,

I have applied to the army scholarship and have been asked back to the scholarship board...I was wondering if I get the scholarship, will it help me for uni applications..give me an edge as most will not have one and are there any unis that particlarly like/dislike the army scholarship...I want to do medicine

thanks a lot
Reply 1
Is this the scholarship where they pay you ~£13k a year dependant on you joining the army for 5 years after you qualify?

I thought you could only get that in your third year.
Reply 2
I dont see that it would make any difference, they may ask you to justify why you want to join the army rather then working in the NHS.
Reply 3
No it doesn't make a difference if you make it or not.
Reply 4
ShinyShiny
I dont see that it would make any difference, they may ask you to justify why you want to join the army rather then working in the NHS.

Actually, that's a good point. It will definitely give you something to talk about at interview, and if you're passionate about the army it could well be something to put down in your PS. Plus if you do have to commit a certain amount of years in service to the army as a doctor it will definitely show your commitment to medicine.

So just stating it won't make a difference, in the same way that playing football or being able to sculpt wouldn't, but it is definitely something that could be expanded on and used to oyur advantage I would say.
Reply 5
Phalanges
Actually, that's a good point. It will definitely give you something to talk about at interview, and if you're passionate about the army it could well be something to put down in your PS. Plus if you do have to commit a certain amount of years in service to the army as a doctor it will definitely show your commitment to medicine.

In addition to that a lot of army medics unsurprisingly go into trauma and orthopaedics so be prepared for them to ask you some questions about it, or what specialities the army excels at.
Reply 6
Phalanges
Is this the scholarship where they pay you ~£13k a year dependant on you joining the army for 5 years after you qualify?

I thought you could only get that in your third year.

This.... I looked into this and was told you can attend meetings and be fully committed but they will only make their decision after 2nd year due to many people changing their mind.
So I don't know what OP is talking about?!
thanks a lot for the replies

this is the 6th form army scholarship, they pay 3K to do A-levels and a living expenses during uni- 3 years service
there is the med school scholarship which pays loads in 2nd year and requires 5 years service

I will be putting it down in my ps (if I get it :biggrin:) are there any unis that would like it or dislike it particularly???
Reply 8
infernalcradle

this is the 6th form army scholarship, they pay 3K to do A-levels and a living expenses during uni- 3 years service
there is the med school scholarship which pays loads in 2nd year and requires 5 years service

I will be putting it down in my ps (if I get it :biggrin:) are there any unis that would like it or dislike it particularly???

No. It probably doesn't matter but UCL banned the army/RAF from attending careers fairs.
Reply 9
ShinyShiny
No. It probably doesn't matter but UCL banned the army/RAF from attending careers fairs.

Why?
infernalcradle

I think it is good, it is a rare thing to get an army scholarship and I reckon the criteria are pretty strict. It can't be bad for you.

The medical school scholarship pays from 3rd year onwards and requires a 6 year RoS.
Phalanges
Why?

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/0803/08030703

I guess they didn't find it appropriate?
digitalis
I think it is good, it is a rare thing to get an army scholarship and I reckon the criteria are pretty strict. It can't be bad for you.

The medical school scholarship pays from 3rd year onwards and requires a 6 year RoS.

I see....lol, I'll stay with the 6th form one then :biggrin:

How do you think I could/should show it, so it gives me the best chance

Latest

Trending

Trending