The Student Room Group

What's good for mech eng???

Hi, I'm applying to Uni this year for mechanical engineering, and so far I have 3 of my 5 choices:

Cardiff
University of Bath (NOT Bath Spa)
Bristol

I'm predicted 3 As in Maths, Further maths and Physics respectively so I doubt that there are many unis that it would not be worth me applying to (except Oxbridge as i got a D in french for AS). I was wondering where else is good for mech eng? And also what kind of reputation does Cardiff have for it/what's the Uni like? I haven't been there yet.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

P.S. I don't really want to go to Imperial :P
Reply 1
Loughborugh (or however you spell it) is good for engineering. Also Sussex is supposed to be good. And UCL. Erm, Imperial if you can get the grades.

Just saw the last bit - ignore the imperial bit then D:
Reply 2
why would oxbridge or imperial care what you got in french if you're applying for Mech Eng? its pretty irrelevant unless you make a years study in France as part of your course a focus of your application. subjects they're looking for are maths, physics and probably further maths
Reply 3
Oxbridge cares because if you get anything worse than As and Bs at AS level in ANY of your subjects if you're doing four, regardless if they're relevant to your course of not, they normally won't give you an interview, yet alone a place. I would apply if I got even a C, but with a D the odds are stacked greatly against me. I don't mind though, means I have one less choice to make :smile:
Reply 4
i doubt it, imagine someone applying for english getting a D in physics, it shows nothing about how good they are at english, oxbridge are more likely to question why you didn't get 3 A* predictions as thats what matters to the course.

Latest

Trending

Trending