The Student Room Group

Switching To Radiography From Engineering

Hi,
I'm just about to start my 2nd undergrad year studying Mechanical Engineering BSc, having had to resit 3 modules to continue. To be honest the course is far more demanding than I first thought and I have struggled to find it to be of real interest to me. As a female, I am now also beginning to think that maybe an engineering career just is'nt for me. I did originally give Diagnostic Radiography a look at prior to uni and I'm now thinking that I should give it some further consideration. My 'A' levels are suitable (3 x A grades in Maths, Physics, Biology) but my concerns are as follows: when to quit engineering (possibly, I should complete 2nd year?); are my skills transferrable and would my engineering to date carry forward to exempt me from any part of a Radiography degree; how would I finance a second degree; would I be jumping from the frying pan into the fire??? I would really appreciate your oppinions.
Reply 1
Coldredger
Hi,
I'm just about to start my 2nd undergrad year studying Mechanical Engineering BSc, having had to resit 3 modules to continue. To be honest the course is far more demanding than I first thought and I have struggled to find it to be of real interest to me. As a female, I am now also beginning to think that maybe an engineering career just is'nt for me. I did originally give Diagnostic Radiography a look at prior to uni and I'm now thinking that I should give it some further consideration. My 'A' levels are suitable (3 x A grades in Maths, Physics, Biology) but my concerns are as follows: when to quit engineering (possibly, I should complete 2nd year?); are my skills transferrable and would my engineering to date carry forward to exempt me from any part of a Radiography degree; how would I finance a second degree; would I be jumping from the frying pan into the fire??? I would really appreciate your oppinions.

Hey, I was in your position last year doing a course I wasn't particularly passionate about so I took time out to look into courses (knowing that I definitely wanted to work in healthcare), eventually deciding on Radiography. I've already done two years of another degree and just starting Radiography next week but i'll try to answer what I can.

Firstly, get yourself some work experience in a Radiography department to make sure it's what you really want to do. Most unis will want you to do this as a requirement (and some will check that you have!). You also need to realise that Radiography won't be an easy option either. I was on a pretty hardcore science degree myself but I'm more worried about Radiography simply because of all the time you have to give up e.g. for placements, which are pretty much a 9-5 commitment for several weeks at a time, as well as giving up a good chunk of your summer.

Unfortunately you probably won't be exempt from any part of the degree as clinical placements tend to start from early on in the first year. I have heard of people on here talking about two year programmes somewhere though but I think they're for graduates? (someone correct me if i'm wrong). The NHS pays your tuition fees and provide a means tested bursary. You may also be entitled to a reduced rate student loan.

Lastly (and this is just my opinion) if you really don't think engineering if for you, go and get yourself some work experience in a Radiography department and then try to apply for next year. If I were you and decided then that it was definitely for me, I would take a gap year and earn some money for the rest of my time at uni. I'll be getting a lot less funding this year than I did before and with the commitment I have to make to my course (none of this 8 hours a week malarky), I really could do without the palaver of trying to find a job as well but might not have a choice. Good luck whatever you decide to do and I hope i've helped a tiny bit :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for taking the time out to provide some good advice and encouragement, you're the beesknees!
Reply 3
:smile:
Coldredger
Thanks for taking the time out to provide some good advice and encouragement, you're the beesknees!
Reply 4
Coldredger

No worries, just a firm believer in going for what you really want no matter how long it takes. Better late than never :biggrin: .
Reply 5
Cheers, and good luck in your new course
Reply 6
First of all good luck with whatever you decide.
You need to remember though that a Radiography degree is not an easy option as well as all the course work you also have to deal with working a full day when on placement whilst still keeping up to date with assignments etc. I have had students who have done other degrees and without fail they all say that Radiography is much harder you dont get the long holidays either!!
First of all you need to make sure that it is something you want to do and for that you need to spend some time in a department you can arrange that through the clinical tutor in the department (if there is one) they will make sure you see the good the bad and the ugly side of Radiography but be prepared for them to also fill in an evaluation form some university's wont offer you a place until you have had a visit and an evaluation filled in.

Beesknees hope you enjoy your course
Reply 7
Great advice about the good, bad and ugly!! and the evaluation form. How long do you think a work experience placement should last?
I have really struggled in some of my engineering modules (namely electronics based subjects) even though I have a Physics 'A' grade, but feel that because the entry levels for radiography are lower in comparison (CCC for example) then I might find it easier to handle the academic work load - although I have heard that radiography will make big demands on my time. Am I thinking on the right lines do you think???

Latest