The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 1
My friend is at MMU Alsager which is about 5-8 miles from MMU Cheshire. To be honest there's not much to do. The halls are near the train station and Cheshire is pretty small. Manchesters not that expensive to get to.
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
Its certainly not rough, Cheshire is one of the most exclusive counties in the country but its in the middle of no where, and its a good 30 minute train ride to Manchester so clubbing in Manchester is not really practical.

If you want decent night life I would personaly avoid it.
Dont worry about it. Just live it since you're there for a reason.
themesong
My friend is at MMU Alsager which is about 5-8 miles from MMU Cheshire. To be honest there's not much to do. The halls are near the train station and Cheshire is pretty small. Manchesters not that expensive to get to.

I'll make stuff to do. I went to art school in philadelphia for four years; i can sh*t better cities than that.

-R
Reply 5
If you are on Alsager campus, then like everyone says, it's really tiny. I grew up here and it isn't so bad, as in it isn't rough (in most parts) and it's a nice enough village, but lots of students end up here thinking they're going to be just outside Manchester, when in actual fact it's an hours drive. Alsager consists of about 10 takeaways, 5 or so pubs, a handful of shops... The nearest big town (Hanley) is about half an hour away on bus or 15 minutes by car.

Basically, if you're coming from a big city it'll be a bit of a shock at first, but once you settle in and work out how to get to places it should be ok. There is a station, but you can't always rely on your train to stop there!
katestoke
If you are on Alsager campus, then like everyone says, it's really tiny. I grew up here and it isn't so bad, as in it isn't rough (in most parts) and it's a nice enough village, but lots of students end up here thinking they're going to be just outside Manchester, when in actual fact it's an hours drive. Alsager consists of about 10 takeaways, 5 or so pubs, a handful of shops... The nearest big town (Hanley) is about half an hour away on bus or 15 minutes by car.

Basically, if you're coming from a big city it'll be a bit of a shock at first, but once you settle in and work out how to get to places it should be ok. There is a station, but you can't always rely on your train to stop there!

IF there are only 5 pubs in the area. I assume they are big enough to handle large student crowds on the weekends. Am i correct?

Excuse my american english, what are takeaways. I'll assume for now they are small restaurants with take out food...chinese, indian, pubfare, etc?
Reply 7
Yeah, the take aways are exactly that, chinese, indian etc. There are also a few restaurants.

The pubs I mentioned are in the centre of the town so they get fairly busy on weekends, and are nice for a few drinks. However, for busier nightlife (clubs, gigs, restaurants etc) the nearest big town is about 30 minutes away.

This is all for the Alsager campus by the way, I'm not too sure what the Crewe campus is like but I see they're building new student halls on the edge of town. Crewe is also much bigger though I don't know much about it.
I welcome the small village seclusion. At this point, anything beats commuting to manhattan everyday and staring at a code.

When i arrive on the 13th I'll just have to try every pub through saturday. This way i wont be questioning where to go the following weekend.

As far as the takeout is concerned. I'm a great cook. So I'd have to be strapped for time to and starving to go there.

But i cant wait to be there anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending