The Student Room Group

Complex Number Help

Could somebody please explain to me how to work out the following question, I have been trying it for ages and using different methods but I can't seem to get the correct answer.

The question is: a/3+j + b/1+2j = 1-j

I need to find the values of a and b which are real numbers. The correct answer is that a and b are both 2 but I can't seem to get the right answer. I've spent ages trying to different methods ; multiplying the denominators to get like terms, multiplying the denominators and numerators by the conjugates, equating the real and imaginary parts and substituting.

Will someone please explain the correct way of working it out please. :o:

Also can someone just tell me the meaning of this question. It says find the least value of x^2 -6x +11 and the value of x where it occurs. Does that mean that I just draw a graph and find the minimum point?
Unknown?
Could somebody please explain to me how to work out the following question, I have been trying it for ages and using different methods but I can't seem to get the correct answer.

The question is: a/3+j + b/1+2j = 1-j

I need to find the values of a and b which are real numbers. The correct answer is that a and b are both 2 but I can't seem to get the right answer. I've spent ages trying to different methods ; multiplying the denominators to get like terms, multiplying the denominators and numerators by the conjugates, equating the real and imaginary parts and substituting.

Will someone please explain the correct way of working it out please. :o:

Also can someone just tell me the meaning of this question. It says find the least value of x^2 -6x +11 and the value of x where it occurs. Does that mean that I just draw a graph and find the minimum point?

question doesn't make sense.

write it out exactly as it's written.

you do these questions by comparing imaginary and real parts. in this case you have 3j=-j which is obviously false so you've made a typo somewhere.

in answer to your second question don't draw the graph, complete the square.
Reply 2
I wrote the question out as it is in the book.

(a/ 3+j) + (b/ 1+2j) = 1-j

Can someone please explain how to work it out so I get a and b both equalling 2?
Reply 3
Totally Tom
question doesn't make sense.

write it out exactly as it's written.

you do these questions by comparing imaginary and real parts. in this case you have 3j=-j which is obviously false so you've made a typo somewhere.

in answer to your second question don't draw the graph, complete the square.

Yes thats what the second question I asked asked me to do first and I got (x-3)^2 +2. Now its asking me to find the minimum value of x^2 -6x +11. How do I work that out from the square? Sorry to sound kind of dumb but I've never been asked a question like this before or can't remember how to do it at least. :o:
I multiplied the top and bottom of the each of the two left-hand terms by the complex conjugate of the denominator, to make the denominators real terms. I then multiplied up to get no denominators. Then compare the imaginary terms and the real terms to get two silmulataneous equations: a + 4b = 10; 3a + 2b = 10. These then solve to give you your answer.
Reply 5
randommarble
I multiplied the top and bottom of the each of the two left-hand terms by the complex conjugate of the denominator, to make the denominators real terms. I then multiplied up to get no denominators. Then compare the imaginary terms and the real terms to get two silmulataneous equations: a + 4b = 10; 3a + 2b = 10. These then solve to give you your answer.

Thanks a lot I got the right answer now.
Reply 6
So after I've completed the square can anyone tell how to find the least value of the expression and the value where x occurs?
Unknown?
So after I've completed the square can anyone tell how to find the least value of the expression and the value where x occurs?

well, when you've completed the square, you're left with something like (x-a)^2+b so how can you minimise this (bearing in mind that you only have x to change and that anything^2 is always >=0)

Latest