The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Buffyboy
Question;

Yeah I'm submitting my application really shortly and have no bloody idea about the colleges.
Whats the selection criteria? Im good academically but dont play any sports or anything particularly extra curricular.... Don't you get accepted by a department then by your college? Does the college only care about extra curriculars? In that case I may not apply for Castle....

Im thinking old and central for college choice....

Loads of people go for Castle so I would generally not apply there unless you're the type who likes that stuff. It really depends what you like - If you're religious, St. John's is a good bet, whereas if drinking and going out is your thing maybe try St. Cuth's. They're both old and central.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
Prudy
That's my one :sad:

and mine :sad:
Reply 22
Buffyboy
Question;

Yeah I'm submitting my application really shortly and have no bloody idea about the colleges.
Whats the selection criteria? Im good academically but dont play any sports or anything particularly extra curricular.... Don't you get accepted by a department then by your college? Does the college only care about extra curriculars? In that case I may not apply for Castle....

The College choice makes no difference to your chance of getting a Durham offer - the department will decide whether you get an offer from the University, then it's just a question of which College makes the offer. Most Colleges will look mostly at the extracurrciular stuff to see how well it matches what they offer - we all offer the opportunity to study successfully and focus on academic work if that's your priority. The differences between Colleges are relatively superficial compared with what they have in common.

Latest