The Student Room Group

Too many people, not enough jobs!! We might all have to leave.

Thats my thinking anyway!!! Its amazing how ultra competitive its become now to get a job in this country, obviously the recession has worsened it even more, but still.

More and more people have degrees,yet have got dead end jobs at the end of it. People who work at McDonalds even have qualifications in this country.

To get a job in a finance company you have to go through at least 2 interviews, psychometric tests, presentations, e-tray exercises.....just to get a job!! And its not like that in most other countries. Oh and this is after youve got a good degree from a good uni etc.

I think that theres too many people coming into this country, perhaps initially to study, but now also trying to get permanent work here.

Our parents generation didnt even need degrees as such, it was just CV and interview, standard.

The outlook isnt good here in the UK, think we all might have to move to Dubai or China.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Meh, there are plenty of jobs available. Some people are just fussy.
Reply 2
Clearly optimism is in the air:eek:
lulz
Move to Sudan. I heard there are loads of jobs there.
Learn a new language, move countries.
Thanks for the info, Sir. I'm on the phone trying to book the next possible flight out of Heathrow.
Reply 7
Goes against the fact my dad, who is 56 so quite old in terms of the currently unemployed people, got a 60k a year job without a Degree, and 4 months later got offered a job at their rival company, for 100k a year. No previous experience in the field either,

The above guy was right, people are fussy, or don't look hard enough.
Reply 8
I was offered a £150k job recently but turned it down as I was offered a £200k a few days later and I don't have a degree or any qualifications at all and in fact, I can't read or write and don't know who the prime minister is.

I have no experience in either field but obviously I had that special something that told people I would be great at it.
Reply 9
If people leave there will be less jobs available in the long run as businesses loose custom and have to lay off workers...
Luca118
Goes against the fact my dad, who is 56 so quite old in terms of the currently unemployed people, got a 60k a year job without a Degree, and 4 months later got offered a job at their rival company, for 100k a year. No previous experience in the field either,

The above guy was right, people are fussy, or don't look hard enough.

I disagree. My partner's dad has been made redundant twice in the past 12 months. He's a builder by trade so due to the recession there are not many building projects. He constantly looks for work/ sends out CVs for jobs where he has the correct qualifications, etc.

I feel it depends on the area in which you live. I live in Reading, which is a university town, thus this creates a limited amount of jobs, as thousands of new students enter university and look for work, the same as there are thousands of students who graduate each year and then decide to stay in the town in which they have studied.

I have looked in the newspaper and it is astonishing how many jobs require you to have specific qualifications, etc. It is extremely difficult at the moment to successfully bag a job and I think that it's extremely niave to just simply state "people aren't looking hard enough". Just because your dad was lucky enough to find a well paid job, it doesn't mean that everyone is so lucky. The same goes for people who are currently unemployed, it doesn't mean that they, in most cases, aren't looking hard enough, it just shows how difficult finding a job is, when there are a number of obstacles in the way.
Reply 11
guitargirl03

I feel it depends on the area in which you live. I live in Reading, which is a university town, thus this creates a limited amount of jobs, as thousands of new students enter university and look for work, the same as there are thousands of students who graduate each year and then decide to stay in the town in which they have studied.

That, again, doesn't mean that there aren't enough jobs. There are still PLENTY of jobs, but some people just aren't willing to relocate.

Is your partner's Dad applying to low-skilled jobs, such as cleaning and supermarket work?
Reply 12
I can't recall a time when there were more jobs than people.
Always plenty of jobs advertised even now, some better than others. A degree is becoming the minimum to apply for many jobs - I'm doing my degree now as a mature student because I want to progress in my career, where any type of degree is commonly required by the employers.

50 years ago could leave school with no qualifications and get a job. 20 years ago or so there were more unemployed than we have now - things got better. Now a degree is seemingly required for anything other than basic jobs. Will a masters be required as a minimum in 20 years?
Still possible to get a job, but what makes you stand out over others with similar qualifications? Better skills? Different workplace experiences?
Volunteer work? Spending time on the dole? Spending time adding qualifications? Learning different languages?
Reply 13
guitargirl03
I disagree. My partner's dad has been made redundant twice in the past 12 months. He's a builder by trade so due to the recession there are not many building projects. He constantly looks for work/ sends out CVs for jobs where he has the correct qualifications, etc.

I have looked in the newspaper and it is astonishing how many jobs require you to have specific qualifications, etc. It is extremely difficult at the moment to successfully bag a job and I think that it's extremely niave to just simply state "people aren't looking hard enough". Just because your dad was lucky enough to find a well paid job, it doesn't mean that everyone is so lucky. The same goes for people who are currently unemployed, it doesn't mean that they, in most cases, aren't looking hard enough, it just shows how difficult finding a job is, when there are a number of obstacles in the way.

You make a good point, depending on the trade, the opportunities vary GREATLY, the point I was trying to make, was that there are a few jobs out there, where qualifications aren't always needed and in some respect people just need to have a look.

Personally, websites like Monster aren't that bad, but with the recession have become saturated with CV's meaning gaining a job through a website like Monster will inadvertently put you up against much more competition, whereas looking in a newspaper can often be more benefitial, if people are willing to put in the effort. (I know a lot of people do try hard, but I know enough people that don't try as hard as they could, so it's all swings and roundabouts really.

Ps. This isn't in relation to your partners farther, just generally, there are definitely a decent amount of people that don't try hard enough.
All of you can pack your bags and move, I'll sit here and take the jobs you leave innit. :plz2:
Reply 15
Maker
I was offered a £150k job recently but turned it down as I was offered a £200k a few days later and I don't have a degree or any qualifications at all and in fact, I can't read or write and don't know who the prime minister is.

I have no experience in either field but obviously I had that special something that told people I would be great at it.

Sir. I read your post with interest, since I myself am in a similar situation, but with far greater serendipity, for I have recently turned down a six figure salary to begin a course of labour for an employer paying me in the region of £1,000,000 in a year! This was quite unexpected, for I am child of only two years, who has undergone traumatic surgery leaving me with the mental capabilities of a lowly chinchilla! Yea, fate smiles on me, for I must toil for only one day in every month, and my chores consist of nothing more than sampling chocolate bars! The gentleman of the initial proposition in this discussion is clearly mistaken if cases such as yours and that of my humble self are so numerous!

Ever Yours,
A Concerned Reader.
Reply 16
jobs are not a finite resource. saying there are too many people and not enough jobs is just wrong in an economic sense- the more people there are the more jobs there are. thi just takes a bit of time. give it a few years for the recession to pass (as it is starting to)
cpj1987
That, again, doesn't mean that there aren't enough jobs. There are still PLENTY of jobs, but some people just aren't willing to relocate.

Is your partner's Dad applying to low-skilled jobs, such as cleaning and supermarket work?

My partner's dad is applying for any job going where qualifications aren't an issue.

Also, concerning relocation. It's not always so easy for people to relocate. Many people have set up a life in a particular place and may have a family, etc. Plus, relocating isn't always the answer as there may be other factors in other towns/cities for the lack of specific jobs.
Reply 18
guitargirl03
My partner's dad is applying for any job going where qualifications aren't an issue.

Also, concerning relocation. It's not always so easy for people to relocate. Many people have set up a life in a particular place and may have a family, etc. Plus, relocating isn't always the answer as there may be other factors in other towns/cities for the lack of specific jobs.

I know it's not easy to relocate; but I was just pointing out that it's not a case of their not being enough jobs, more that people are too fussy, or not willing to adapt to find work.

If people aren't willing to relocate, they can't complain that 'there aren't enough jobs'.
KiiNGofLONDON
Move to Sudan. I heard there are loads of jobs there.

:rofl:

Latest

Trending

Trending