The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Studying English and Film Studies Ba at Exeter?

Firstly I'm curious as to whether this degree is regarded as a 'doss' degree or looked down on by employers.
Secondly I'm interested in how those of you who have studied the course or knew people that had found it? What was the work load like? What was the course content like? What is post degree employment looking like for english and film study grads?

Thanks in advance,
Penelope
There was a fascinating piece in the Times the other day about so called 'doss' degrees, and how graduates with the aforementioned degrees are actually doing quite well in the recession, I'll try and find you a link...

here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article6829650.ece
and here: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=408116
and slightly more dated: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storyCode=172965&sectioncode=26

While I appreciate it doesn't answer all of your questions, hopefully it answers the first :smile:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Unless you are planning to go into "high brow" academia or transfer into law, film studies really isn't a "doss" subject. It relates very closely to English literature and an English and Film studies degree is regarded pretty much the same as straight English. (This is only my personal opinion that i've found in my experience)

It's really worth considering what you personally want to do with your life rather than what you think other people will think of it. I say that because I really wish I'd done a Film production degree but thought I could do something "better". Kicking myself for being so snobbish now I can tell you. Obviously you have to consider career options but doing something other than straight English gives you more to talk about in an interview, allows an easier crossover into media related fields and is also really interesting.

I don't actually do English and film but I think the work load is similar to straight English with maybe 2 more hours timetabled for you to attend screenings.

There's also the option for you to take film modules as part of a straight English degree which is what I'm doing. I'll come out with Ba English but all 4 of my 3rd year modules involve some aspect of film studies.

Hope that's helped!
Importantly for film studies, Exeter has the Bill Douglas Centre which is an excellent resource absolutely full of books, documents, ephemera, and more. Much of it has not been properly catalogued yet, much less researched upon... meaning that if you use the resource, you can write some really excellent and original essays.

And if, after three/four years, the mood takes you, you will be in an excellent position to write a funder-friendly research proposal for your MA/PhD. So, conventional film studies degree aside, Exeter is an excellent place to study film if you want to get your hands dirty in an archive and do some actual historical research as well as writing criticism.

As for doss degrees, would you want to be employed by someone who didn't want to employ you because they considered your degree to have been a 'doss'? They wouldn't employ you if you told them that three years of their life had been a doss...
Reply 4
How competitive is this course, I've applied and got a conditional which is AAB (A- in English)but I got an email that said if I firm it it would be ABB, I have firmed Exeter and I really need to go to uni this year due to home life, but I after sitting my first paper for English I feel like I might just miss it, do you think they'll take me, overall I'm likely to get A*AA and B(for English) so I'm not sure, and really worried.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending