The Student Room Group

Population Notes and Case Studies

This may be useful for some of you peeps out there. Its from a textbook, but I thought writing up the important bits would help! (Green is positive points and red is negative.)

Consequences of Migration.

Country of Departure (Source)

- Relief of shortages, eg. Food, housing, jobs, services.
- Reduced pressure on resources.
- Emigrants send money back to relatives.
- Increased influence/awareness overseas.
- If migrants return, they bring back new skills.
- Reduction of birth rate in overpopulated areas due to emigration of people of child-bearing age.

- Loss of human resources, eg. Labour, enterprise, skills.
- Communities and regions drawn into vicious circle of decline.
- Growth of emigration culture.
- Dependance on remittances.
- Premature ageing of population due to emigration of younger people.

Country of Arrival (Host)

- Enrichment of human resources, ie. enterprise, skills, capital, etc.
- Cultural diversification and emergence of a more multi-ethnic society.
- Unwanted jobs filled by cheap labour.
- Opening up of peripheral regions.

- Pressure on food supplies, housing, jobs, services, etc.
- Discrimination against immigrants, particularly if members of ethnic minorities.
- Congestion, particularly in major cities.
- Spread of disease.
- Predominance of males leading to social problems.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Please do post your own case studies and useful information relating to this!
Reply 2
Turkish guest workers in former West Germany.

Most of the positive and negative consequences of migration as outlined above apply to the guest worker migration between Turkey and the former West Germany.This started in the 1950's and was caused by the very successful rebuilding of the West German economy after WWII. A vast number of new jobs were created. Job vacancies quickly outstripped the national labour supply, thus the government was forced to encourage the recruitment of foreign labour. In particular, people were needed to fill poorly-paid and unskilled jobs. Turkey, along with a number of countries in southern Europe, was happy to supply the much-needed cheap labour.

For a time the arrangement worked well, with benefits being reaped by the turkish immigrants, the West German economy and those parts of Turkey supplying Germany with the guest workers. However, with the economic recession of the 1970's the German attitude changed. It was argued that Germans should come first when it came to filling the dwindling number of jobs. A ban was placed on the recruitment of foreign workers, but turkish immigrants continued to arrive. In the 1980's grants were offered to persuade the Turks to return home. Even greater pressure was placed on them in the 1990's with the reunification of Germany. The new Germany now had its own supply of relatively cheap labour from what was formerly communist East Germany.

Even today, there is still a sizeable Turkish community in Germany, and there is also considerable tension. The Turks resent being treated as 'second class' citizens; they feel discriminated against, particularly by the police. The Germans criticise the Turks for not becoming part of German society. They are seen as keeping themselves to themselves, maintaining their own culture, keeping their Turkish citizenship, occupying poor housing and straining social and welfare services.

Woo! That was a lot of typing. :rolleyes: At least I actually read it as I typed and now I know it!
Reply 3
Lee's Migration Model, as suggested by Geogger to learn I believe? Link here!
Reply 4
Sorry all this is in different posts, but I thought it might make it a bit easier to tackle when reading through it. Works for me. :smile:

OK, an example of a migration model that doesn't really work well is the Gravity Model. I have outlined the details below, an excerpt from a textbook.
'Newton's law of universal gravitation has been used, not too successfully, to predict the volume of migration between two places. In migration studies, the law is expressed as follows: "The number of people moving between places A and B is equal to the population of A multiplied by the population of B, divided by the square of the distance between them."'
Bleh, I bet you didn't take in any of that, did you? :wink: Simplified version below:

POPULATION[A] x POPULATION
DISTANCE ²

You probably shouldn't worry too much about how it is calculated, its just an example of a model that doesn't work too well. As stated in the textbook: 'The logic behind this is that the potential number of migrants will be bigger where the populations of the of the places of departure and arrival are large. At the same time, the friction of distance acts as a brake on migration. However, it should be evident already that migration is not simply a matter of numbers of people and distance.' <-- Underlined because this is important! This can then be linked to push and pull factors which may decide the amount of people who leave a country at a specific time, from a country because of war, for example. I hope that makes sense!
Reply 5
4give me if im wrong as it was last year wen i learnt this... but i thought the gravity model was used more for showing where people would travel to in order to get their goods. Eg. Say there is a large city A and a small village B. Most people living in between A and B would go to do wateva they need to do at city A due to the "pull of its gravity" even people who were closer to village B would go 2 city A. I think this was in the AS course and was the reason for village post offices/shops/aminities in general shutting down. Any other input?
Reply 6
OK peoples, another case study coming up.

Remittances to Pakistan.

'Many international migrants maintain links with their country of origin. A common link is the sending of money (known as remittances) 'back home' to relatives and friends left behind. In some countries these remittances represent a notable proportion of the GNP. In Pakistan the figure is around 6%.

In assessing the impact of remittance payments, it is difficult to isolate their effects from the effects of other sources of income. An analysis of remittance expenditure in Pakistan has shown that nearly 65% is spent on the consumption of goods and services, just over 20% is spent on buying real estate, while much of the remainder is invested in agricultural, industrial and commercial enterprises.

This analysis clearly indicates that there are benefits for Pakistan and other countries in exporting large numbers of migrants. The spending of remittance money on goods, services and property helps to support local jobs, whilst the investment money might be seen as creating work and helping production. On top of this there is the added bonus that emigration helps to reduce pressure on scarce resources. There is, however, a possible downside. Regular and sizeable remittances can easily lead to a culture of dependance on such money.'

:boring:

Hopefully this case study helps. It is a useful one for mentioning a location that has benefitted from migration, and it may also help your understanding of remittances and how they can benefit a country!
Reply 7
It works for both I think SnIpEs! Remember I'm getting this all from a textbook, so it should be reasonably accurate. Ugh, I remember than kind of thing for AS... so boring! :rolleyes:
Reply 8
yea sorry i believe u were using the gravity model in terms of migration and as u said is not exactly the best, the following are some u may want to look up please do not take this as thumb as its only off the top of my head:

Lee social, environmental and economic factors
Todaro economic most influencial
Ravenstein’s Law - distance
Push/Pull Origin vs. Host
Gravity distance (again)
Clarks Internal/External Forces and Stress

wow i actually surprise myself sometimes
Kittball, You said this thread was for population, ive noticed its more migration at the moment as i see population as the stuff including demographic transition model, birth rates, death rates, fertility rates etc and impacts on these.
Case studies like china and all their political intervention for lowering birth rates. Which i believe will now lead to "Birth Dearth". Mauritius is a good case study as is Africa and India. I guess there is also the underpopulation side of things for countries such as Australia, Brazil and Canada where the majority of their land is uninhabitable.
Reply 9
If you know more details on those models and case studies it would be great if you could post them! Yes well, I think migration comes into population :wink: It will be useful for section B at any rate!
Reply 10
dont worry about models too much, geogger's notes from a conference on it said you only need to only learn one :biggrin:

ive attached my notes on pop, migration & economy from a textbook of mine, theyre helpful for a general overview :smile:
Reply 11
Great stuff there; take a look people!
Reply 12
cheers for that i dont think part B is something i need to worry about too much but ill give that a good read tomorrow looks v.good nice work. I find it very hard to sit down and do notes like that, im quite good at the reading geog and making it stick. I got a C at alevel last year (6points off B grrrr) w/o doing any work really \o/ try and bump that up to an A me thinks! Thanks again.
Reply 13
Bump
Reply 14
bump
Has anyone got any good notes (or any notes lol) on the global variations in birth rate and death rate? Would very much appreciate.
Please help :tsr:
Reply 17
Reply 18
Global population = demographic transistion model! You must use that it's damn useful.

Stage one: Indigenous people
Stage two: Egypt, South Africa
Stage three: Chile, India, Brazil
Stage four: Denmark, USA
Stage five: Italy, Germany

Im just going to stick that in randomly and just describe the model, china is great since it went from 2 to 5 in short period of time.. good stuff!
Reply 19
Useful info, thankies for that jacko! Now, I am a bit lost for notes on the Development Gap! Please do share any info about this you may have here

Latest

Trending

Trending