The Student Room Group

Biomedical Science- accredited courses?

I'm looking to apply for Biomedical Sciences. However people have been telling me that I should find a course that's accredited by the IBMS. But when I look at the list of courses that are, not many 'top' Uni's are listed on there (Newcastle, Manchester, Southampton for example), and many courses which are listed don't want particularly high grades.
I'm looking at getting AABB in my A levels, so don't particularly want to apply somewhere that only wants CCC.

So my question is, does the course have to be accredited?
And any recommendations on where to study would also be appreciated :smile:

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
the course only has to be accredited if you want to work as a biomedical scientist in the nhs after the degree
here is a list of the accredited courses:

http://www.ibms.org/pdf/acc_honours_may09.pdf

I'm sorry I can't help anymore. What do you want to become? a biomedical scientist in the NHS? if you do then I think you need to do one of the accredited degrees.
xxx
Reply 3
All the "top" unis are listed!
your course dose not have to be accredited, if you don't want it to be, but if you want to work within the NHS as a biomed, then it becomes a issue, its a good thing to have once you leave uni with as it is a fall back, what are you looking at to do after your degree?

About IBMS accredited courses
The Institute accredits honours level degrees in biomedical science and named Masters degree relevant to biomedical science. The IBMS’s programme of accreditation plays a key role in the education of biomedical scientists and helps to ensure that students are suitably trained upon entering the profession. The accreditation process, developed in tandem with HUCBMS (Heads of University Centres for Biomedical Science), assesses the university for academic content of the degree, learning outcomes and assessment, delivery, quality assurance and involvement of the profession in the development and delivery of the course. Accreditation is normally awarded for five years and universities view the process as an endorsement by the professional body. The accreditation process has led to an important foundation of dialogue and collaboration to further enhance the education of biomedical scientists.
Reply 5
Thanks for all the information. I am hoping to go on to work in the NHS, so I guess I need to go for an accredited course. Thanks for clearing it up for me :smile:

vas876
All the "top" unis are listed!

Not Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle, Bournemouth, Birmingham...
Reply 6
popadom
Thanks for all the information. I am hoping to go on to work in the NHS, so I guess I need to go for an accredited course. Thanks for clearing it up for me :smile:

Not Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle, Bournemouth, Birmingham...

Those courses are suitable and you an gain approval from the HPC after graduation.

http://www.hpc-uk.org/

You just need to pay a fee.
Reply 7
vas876
Those courses are suitable and you an gain approval from the HPC after graduation.

http://www.hpc-uk.org/

You just need to pay a fee.

So if I did a course not accredited by the IBMS, I would just register with the HPC and end up in the same place?
Reply 8
popadom
So if I did a course not accredited by the IBMS, I would just register with the HPC and end up in the same place?

Just with a degree from a more respected university doing better research, which means you will be being taught by more lecturers at the forefront of the field.

You could always email the HPC and the University you want to go to and ask them.
After your degree you can do a few more exams and learn a few more things, then you'll be fine. Tbh, I don't like that type cause it restricts what your career is.
Reply 10
Well I've spoken to a Biomedical Scientist, and she recommends taking an accredited course, as you build up a portfolio as you go. Apparently taking an unaccredited degree will mean more work in the long run. If I can find a university I like enough with an accredited course, I will go for that. Though at least now I know if I don't like any of the universities, taking an unaccredited course won't be the end of the world :smile:
popadom
Well I've spoken to a Biomedical Scientist, and she recommends taking an accredited course, as you build up a portfolio as you go. Apparently taking an unaccredited degree will mean more work in the long run. If I can find a university I like enough with an accredited course, I will go for that. Though at least now I know if I don't like any of the universities, taking an unaccredited course won't be the end of the world :smile:

Fair enough, but if i were in your position i would do it at

UCL
Imperial
Kings
Bristol
Manchester
Newcastle
Southampton
Oxbridge
Nottingham
St Georges London
Queen Mary
Cardiff
Birmingham
Sheffield
St Georges London is accredited, as far as i know, could be a good call to try that one
Warwick is a good uni and is accredIted, but it's a campus based uni rather than city.

Oh and I shall apply for UCL for biomed, had an offer for entry next week, but withdrew it.. I really can't recommed UCL and higher if you want a good uni in a city centre.

And if you're speak with a biomed scientist there're obviously gonna say that, cause to become one you have to go down that route. So you just have to ask yourself if that's what you want to be as a future career, or if you want to keep your options open. I would personally hate that job.
Reply 14
What other careers could stem from Biomedical, apart from Medicine?
popadom
What other careers could stem from Biomedical, apart from Medicine?

the Big ONE!

RESEARCH!
Reply 16
All the career paths I have researched need an accredited course- forensics, working for the HPA, research, immunology.
I'm not sure what other careers waterstorm could have been refering to.
popadom
All the career paths I have researched need an accredited course- forensics, working for the HPA, research, immunology.

No they dont, you only need an accredited course to work in the health care setting, research and forensics and PHDs depend on you getting a 2.1+ and then your institution.

How do you think the hundreds of UCL, Imperial, Cambridge, Oxford, Kings, QMUL, Birmingham, Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield ect graduates get arguable the best jobs afer their BSc?

A course from the best unis are not accredited as they don't need accreditation to attract the best candidates.

Look at UCl's prospectus the career paths their graduates take within 6 months of graduation are pretty amazing.

PHD @ UCL
Masters @ university of Vienna
Medical Scientist at Pfizer.

You can work at the best corporations, or go into amazing research, or Work in the medical profession.

Get your BMSci degree from the best university you can get into, ignore accreditation and registration and such things, the Careers dept of the Uni you go to deal with that every year.

With the best degree you can get you will have more doors open to you.

Call the universities you are interested in and ask. The only astle is that you will have to register with the HPC, that amy take some time im not sure how the system works.

Ring or email them and ask http://www.hpc-uk.org/index.asp
popadom

I was talking about being a biomedical scientist, doing an accredited course means you're kinda limited to that or something around that. Cause they have a strict course to follow, like medicine do.. so the doctors are all at the same standard. But if you did a non-accredited course it would mean you have plenty of options to choose from in terms of what modules you take and careers etc. If you want to work in a lab in the NHS then accredited may be for you, I just don't like the idea of being in a lab all my life testing and diagnosing samples of blood, urine etc - with a non-accredited course you won't really learn that stuff, but you can do the course and just learn it after with a couple of extra exams.

Meh, that's what I can remember from the King's and Southampton open day last year.. something along those lines - maybe they were just hating on it so people choose their non-accredited course rather than somewhere else.
Reply 19
Well I am truely confused now :/
I'm going to ring some universities and ask when I get a chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending