The Student Room Group
Reply 1
subject? :rolleyes:
Reply 2
Why not take a Gap year and then apply once you've got the grades... then you don't have to worry because they'll barely even look at your GCSEs.
Depending on the subject you want to apply for, those grades are likely to get you an interview as long as you have a good personal statement and reference and are predicted AAA at A2. Then, if you do well at interview, plus any tests or written work you have to submit, who knows? If you really like the course at Oxford/Cambridge and you believe you have the potential to succeed there, what do you have to lose?
Reply 4
economics, so at cambridge.
Reply 5
Laws

think cambridge interview everyone still except in law and medicine - though not 100% and may yet be corrected on this
Laws
Unfortunately i didnt get the best GCSE grades, combination of As and Bs and even a D (in italian). My AS levels are likely to be AABB but i think i could get three A predictions for A2. would i instatly be rejected or is there still hope if i blow away some one who bothers to read my personal statement? i think if i get an interview ill be able to wow them.

Cambridge interview like 98% of people, but with your grades and for Economics...hmm, bit tricky really. No one really cares that much about your PS, so suggest you apply to a college which wants essays and then write an amazing essay.

As long as you do both A-level Economics and Maths, therefore achieving their minimum requirements and a AAA prediction, should be okay?
Reply 7
Laws

Yes, you'll probably get an interview, but if you are applying for economics, many colleges expect you to have done maths to A2 (and some, like Queens', like Further Maths!).
Reply 8
ill get As in econmoics and maths for sure, english lit and physics are the Bs. taking english to A2 and maybe pick up further maths AS, get the A in that and drop physics.
Laws
ill get As in econmoics and maths for sure, english lit and physics are the Bs. taking english to A2 and maybe pick up further maths AS, get the A in that and drop physics.

Do Further Maths A2 and don't drop Physics. The number of Maths/FM/Physics/Econ A-level Tab-Economists is staggering.
Reply 10
I have similar grades to you and will be applying for Engineering. Even if you get rejected you still have 5 other choices who could still accept you so you don't have anything to lose by giving it a go. Someone posted on here a page fromthe Cambridge website showing wat they do with your GCSE grades. Basically, they give you a mark from 1-10 depending on how many A*s and As you got and how good your school was - 7As from a poor school is just as highly ranked as 7A*s from a top school. There are obviously other criteria that they go on such as your PS, your interview, your A Level prediction etc.... Most people have one weak part of their application just make sure that your GCSEs are the only one and you have a chance!
Reply 11
4 A2s and further maths in one year would may be too much. am going to start in the summer so will see how it goes.
Reply 12
Cambridge interviews literally everyone. Just apply. Your grades look ok - not brilliant for Cambridge but they're ok. I applied with AAAC at AS and predicted AAB - with the lowest grades both times in Chemistry, applying for Natural Science. To a competitive college - Emma. Without Maths A-Level and with Art as my third A-Level, having dropped Eng Lit. Which is to say I got all the wrong subjects for the course. I still got an interview - indeed if I didn't freak in the interview I think I'd have at least got pooled, cus they said my admissions essay was excellent.
Reply 13
irisng
Cambridge interviews literally everyone.

Please stop this. It's not true.
Reply 14
Cambridge interviews 99% of applicants - only those who are obviously not serious applicants (e.g. those who have no chance of getting AAB whatsoever and have no extenuating circumstances) don't get an interview, and in most cases the admissions directors call the applicant's school to ask why they've applied and if there's anything else they should know. Only the REAL time wasters (1%!!!) don't get interviewed. With those grades, the original poster wouldn't be considered a time waster and would be interviewed.

Latest

Trending

Trending