The Student Room Group

1st year physio timetable

Hi guys,

I am starting a week today at St George's, and being a mature student, things are a bit different this time around in that I have numerous commitments to juggle ontop of studies.

I was hoping that we would be sent out timetables before term started, but this isn't happening. I currently do a lot of work as a personal trainer and this is now an issue. I have clients asking what my availability is going to be like for next week, and I have to tell them currently, I have no idea. With classes and 1:1's, I have about 20 hours a week to try and fit in around studying.

Now, we have been told we are in Monday to Friday 9-5, but as I understand it from others, there are gaps in this schedule. I think I am correct in that we get Wednesday afternoon off? I know this will be different from uni to uni and from year to year, but can anyone give me any kind of rough idea regarding the workload and the timetable of a 1st year physio? It would at least allow me to make some educated guesses as to what my free time would be.

The course will of course come first, but I have rent and food bills to pay!

Thanks
Reply 1
Ironmike
Hi guys,

I am starting a week today at St George's, and being a mature student, things are a bit different this time around in that I have numerous commitments to juggle ontop of studies.

I was hoping that we would be sent out timetables before term started, but this isn't happening. I currently do a lot of work as a personal trainer and this is now an issue. I have clients asking what my availability is going to be like for next week, and I have to tell them currently, I have no idea. With classes and 1:1's, I have about 20 hours a week to try and fit in around studying.

Now, we have been told we are in Monday to Friday 9-5, but as I understand it from others, there are gaps in this schedule. I think I am correct in that we get Wednesday afternoon off? I know this will be different from uni to uni and from year to year, but can anyone give me any kind of rough idea regarding the workload and the timetable of a 1st year physio? It would at least allow me to make some educated guesses as to what my free time would be.

The course will of course come first, but I have rent and food bills to pay!

Thanks

It has been a while (ahem!) sicne I was a first year at George's but I can almost categorically say it'll be 9-5 all days except weds afternoon at George's for at least the first term.....once you stop the CFP it frees up a little.......workload wise it depends how you want to work it. I never did uni work at the weekends (unless it was crunch time before an exam) as it was the only time that my fiance and I were able to spend together as we were living apart and I wasn't prepared to sacrifice that time. Which meant that I worked basically every evening for at least 2 hours. But some people did hardly any work during the week and did it all at weekends. It will be a totally personal exerience and something that you need to just go with and see what happens. One of my very good friends worked 25hr weeks at times when she wa son the degree - doing personal training, teaching etc, and she had no issues really. She scaled back work at exam time and worked extra hard in the holidays giving her more flexibility during term time, but she is ultra organised so it was no problem for her.

Mya dvice would be to stick to weekend work at the present with some clients during the week evenings until you knwo exactly what your timetable is and work from there. Your timetable will be fully planned out for the term once you get there so you'll eb able to see where you do and don't have gaps, so you'll be fully clued up by the end of the first week
Reply 2
All universities round the country seem to have Wednesday afternoons off - I think it's normally free to do sports instead.
Reply 3
Ok, thanks Jackie, will hang on till next Monday then. Guess I'll have to do a lot of ringing around next week once I know what my timetable is. I'm going to be a busy man...
Reply 4
Wednesday afternoon is a universal "sports/activities time"

The first week is usually pretty quiet as it's a lot of admin stuff but a lot will depend which group you get put in as the year is split into three groups and they have different routines to stop there being too many people getting uniform/photos taken/jabs done etc at one time, so it's hard to say.

I do actually have the general timetable for after that but again there's all sorts of sub groupings, so without knowledge of those it won't be much use to you.

I'd agree with Jackie though - as far as poss try to keep your time free - it's good to sit around chatting with people over coffee in the gaps as you can get to know people.

Are you coming to the meet and greet Sunday? I'll be along with quite a few other second/third years. It's on the facebook group but if not then we'' be at the Manor House pub in Tooting about half past seven (need to walk down from halls).
Reply 5
There's a facebook group? What do I need to search under? Did a search yesterday on SGUL thinking there might be something up. Came up with a few societies, but nothing physio related. I should be able to make it along yes. Got a few clients to train first, but think the last one is at 6 and I am only a 10 min bike up the road. Whereabouts is the big tree by the way? I am guessing that it's in the halls of residence somewhere, but there is no description other than that.

Third year sounds like it's getting serious hey. I think the respiratory is probably the one that I am least looking forward to, but I can also see how it is the most rewarding. I watched a band 6 doing lung draining whilst on placement, and was amased then at how he knew what all the readings on the computers meant. Guess it seems a bit daunting now, but I have two years to get up to speed!
Reply 6
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=110423959308

I wasn't interested in resp when I started the course and stayed like that pretty much through the first year but through the second year I started finding it really interesting. There's tons of drugs to think about too as well as all the readings on screen, but you get to know them gradually.

I'm amazed looking back at how much I've learnt
Reply 7
I think it's possibly the amount of material that there seems to be which makes it the most daunting. Anyway, back to the beer, is the manor pub mentioned on the freshers page this one?

http://www.themanorbarandgrill.com/find_us.php
Reply 8
I think so - looks like it on the map, it was called the garden house and I haven't seen it since the name change

or post on the FB group if you want to be sure!

Latest