The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
puppy
All these people saying they're glad they didn't get in- why did you apply if that was the case? If there're better courses elsewhere then why apply to one you don't like?

Applied because I loved the place and at the time the course seemed fantastic - and it is, except first year compulsory Maths would've killed me. I dropped Maths as fast as I can after GCSE - just to take it up at uni? I think not!

Glad I'm rejected because Maths compulsory would've killed me, Cambridge stress would've killed me, and the competitiveness of it all would've killed my self-esteem as well. I imagine I'd be amongst the average at Cambridge uni. And now I've realised what I wanna do - I wanna do Neuroscience, which is what I'm off to do in Nottingham. When I had applied I had no idea what I had wanted to do - hence NatSci at Cambridge seemed ideal - and to demonstrate my confusion with my future, I had applied to 5 different science courses, 2 of the 6 unis I had no intention of ever going to!

And anyway I've met soo many lovely people in the Nottingham subforum, it's fab! There's a nice community feel to that subforum that isn't here in the Cambridge subforum - it's friendlier over there - and going by that, I think I'll enjoy myself so much more studying at Notts instead anyway.
Reply 21
kellywood_5
You'd have to be a seriously disturbed individual to kill yourself over a university rejection! As the original poster said though, it could happen as the final straw in a series of other incidents; death of a family member, depression, bullying, illness, things like that.

To talk about final straw - I was at my rope's end when I got my Cambridge rejection. It was also partly why it was so devastating - half of it had nothing to do with Cambridge uni but everything to do with my ex, who's a Cambridge student.

And Lozza - some Cambridge students ARE snobby. But then again you get that anywhere. But there is a bit of acidity and sarcasm in the air in the Cambridge subforum, which I haven't seen in the Nottingham subforum yet - and sometimes there are people in Cambridge who thinks they're better just cus they're at Cambridge. Although there are also lots of Cambridge students who are simply lovely lovely people - I know several. No way is all Cambridge students snobby - I can just randomly name a few just sitting here and I don't even study there.

Nobody's being hostile to Cambridge - I've repeatedly said I still adore the place! I'm even considering going to Cambridge for my industrial year! And it's not "suddenly" I'm glad I got rejected - it took 6 months for me to get here and be able to see that it was actually a good thing I got rejected. Can't speak for anyone else but I certainly do not say I'm glad cus I'm bitter. If I was bitter I wouldn't still like Cambridge so much!
Reply 22
JustaGuy
I remember reading an article that says that in the 1990s, Oxford had the highest suicide rate in the country? Oxonians were apparently so caught up with their less than ideal exam results that they thought life was not worth living afterall. :eek:QUOTE]

i have heard rumours about people being on suicide watch during exam term...they are rumours but there might be truth in them...scary...

edit: oh i'm not saying cambridge students aren't snobby. i admit, i do like it when someone treats me like a scouse bimbo and then asks me where i'm studying... *evil grin* :biggrin: most of the people i know are pretty normal and non snobby. the only thing ive found is that there are some rich people who like people to know they're rich. but i guess it's hard to be snobby when you're IN cambridge and surrounded by potential newtons etc.

*sigh* i can't be snobby, i'm the thicko of my year LOL
Reply 23
Lozza
i have heard rumours about people being on suicide watch during exam term...they are rumours but there might be truth in them...scary...

At St. John's the chapel tower was always closed during exam season, and that probably happens elsewhere too.
Reply 24
d750
At St. John's the chapel tower was always closed during exam season, and that probably happens elsewhere too.

And there was me thinking that was just to stop the students having sex in it in May Week :wink:
Reply 25
Helenia
And there was me thinking that was just to stop the students having sex in it in May Week :wink:

:eek:

That's reassuring. The debauched are probably easier to live with than the mentally unstable. :wink:

EDIT: You'd have to be a contortionist to get up to anything in it, though. And the roof would just be wrong.
Reply 26
JustaGuy
I think, for the most lot of you guys here, taking the rejection in your stride is not a very hard thing to do. So you people are very lucky. But do remember that there are people who fell to depression. Sometimes, they simply can't help it. To them, saying "rejection is not everything" is pure tallk and theory, and we cannot advise them like we would advise someone in normal mental health.

That is exactly what I was talking about! People who have not got great social lives are also in a similar category. See I have this theory:
There are two sides to a teenager's life - the social and academic side. So far so good? Well most people aim for something in between. Others dedicate their lives to one of the two sides almost entirely. Those who are more social do not seem to care that much. Those who have dedicated most of their lives on their school work want to try and get in the university of their dreams. They are obsessed with their futures which motivates them into pushing themselves as far as they can go. They sacrifice their social life so that they can do just that. And when they get rejected...what is left for them? They don't have a social life and now, their academic life has also proven to be a 'failure' (This is of course very disturbed mentality). Now I will admit that my academic life is a lot better than my social life at the moment. However, I live under a different mentality. If you are that obsessed with your future then you must never give up!! Not even if you are rejected. That's the beauty of life - anything can happen! Even if you graduate from the University of Bob, you can still succeed. There are infinite examples where this has happened. However, if depression wins, then their minds will be completely clouded and they will be unable to see that there is always some hope left.
Death
That is exactly what I was talking about! People who have not got great social lives are also in a similar category. See I have this theory:
There are two sides to a teenager's life - the social and academic side. So far so good? Well most people aim for something in between. Others dedicate their lives to one of the two sides almost entirely. Those who are more social do not seem to care that much. Those who have dedicated most of their lives on their school work want to try and get in the university of their dreams. They are obsessed with their futures which motivates them into pushing themselves as far as they can go. They sacrifice their social life so that they can do just that. And when they get rejected...what is left for them? They don't have a social life and now, their academic life has also proven to be a 'failure' .

Also, it's about living for the present, not for the future. People should enjoy where they are and not waste it building for a future that either may not happen or may not be what they expected it to be. Live life to the full, but live for the present, the future's corrupt - you don't know whats going to happen (but work hard at the same time - called work play balance :biggrin: )
Reply 28
I think if I was rejected alot of my depression would come from the idea that I wouldn't get to enjoy alot of the perks of being at Oxbridge, not that I'd particularly failed to get to the best, although that would hit me. But just the lack of yummy old buildings, and may week fun, and no punting, and no accomodation for 3 years, and no generous bursaries, and no travel grants ... etc.

With regard to the social life thing, there are some people here who make me think "how pathetic are you?" It's not that they don't have social lives as such, it's just that they don't really know how to emotionally interact with people and they end up getting paralytically drunk (usually in formals) so that they can. It's something that really gets to me and I think Cambridge can be a very emotionally immature place.
Reply 29
soulsussed
Also, it's about living for the present, not for the future. People should enjoy where they are and not waste it building for a future that either may not happen or may not be what they expected it to be. Live life to the full, but live for the present, the future's corrupt - you don't know whats going to happen (but work hard at the same time - called work play balance :biggrin: )

I can't believe you managed to pack so many clichés into three sentences.
Reply 30
d750
:eek:

That's reassuring. The debauched are probably easier to live with than the mentally unstable. :wink:

EDIT: You'd have to be a contortionist to get up to anything in it, though. And the roof would just be wrong.

Well, I've never been up there. But I'm assured that it is a challenge for various members of the student body...
Reply 31
This link might be of some interest - and seem to go against earlier quoted stats

http://education.guardian.co.uk/students/story/0,9860,788920,00.html
Reply 32
suicide over oxbridge - i don't think so - its a big thing, but not that big! - unless you wasted your live savings on the oxbridge applications companies £800 interview training etc - and then still got rejected! then one should feel suicidal, lol - what a bunch of crooks they are! we should inundate them hate mail :mad:

phil
Reply 33
homoterror

With regard to the social life thing, there are some people here who make me think "how pathetic are you?" It's not that they don't have social lives as such, it's just that they don't really know how to emotionally interact with people and they end up getting paralytically drunk (usually in formals) so that they can. It's something that really gets to me and I think Cambridge can be a very emotionally immature place.

When have you met me?
Reply 34
homoterror

what about people who have great social skills (such as myself) and also like to get horribly drunk (such as myself)? wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee wednesday is going to be SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :party: :marchmell :beer: :dancing2:
Reply 35
But until then you have exams... get back to the books, now! *enjoys sitting staring out of the window with nothing to to until October* :biggrin:
Reply 36
Mop
But until then you have exams... get back to the books, now! *enjoys sitting staring out of the window with nothing to to until October* :biggrin:

*kicks you in the shins*

i have four exams left. i'm going to fail chemistry.

if anyone sees a tanned blonde girl passed out in market square on wednesday, dont steal my champagne.
Reply 37
Lozza
*kicks you in the shins*

If it's any consolation, I can't get wasted again until Saturday... stupid bumps drinking ban :frown: .
Reply 38
My cosin was rejected.
She takes her exams and stuff very serously, certainly alot more so than i do (but them again, she is a girl.

But she took it very well, i wasnt there, but her brothers said that she took it alot better than they expected.
- By the time i talked to her, about a week later she seamed totaly over it.

But it guess there people who dont take it well at all, but be maddness, i'd hate to be regected like that, which is part of the reason i didnt apply (coupled with the fact there are a much beter places for my couse)

Rejection is weird tho. I got "rejected" by warwick.
- After i'd had an offer from loughtbough and nottingham i didnt want to go, so canceled my interveiw, and didnt fill in the "virtual interview", or reply to a letter saying if i didnt reply i woulnd get an offer.
- So i know i would get "rejected", but i didnt want to go so that was fine. But still, even when i got a regection leter, it still felt really weird about it!

Daniel
Reply 39
Mop

Don't you have supervisions? =O we do :frown: 2 on Met+top, one numerical analysis and one optimization

Latest

Trending

Trending