The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Why?
Good on you mate. Show the EU you can't be bullied
Reply 3
EU Says: Wrong answer, do we have to do this three times?
Reply 4
adamdp
EU Says: Wrong answer, do we have to do this three times?

What I was thinking. If they say no again, I wonder how long they will keep pushing it. Or will they steer ahead whether Ireland likes it or not?
Reply 5
Henry JW
What I was thinking. If they say no again, I wonder how long they will keep pushing it. Or will they steer ahead whether Ireland likes it or not?

Opinion polls seem to show it will be a yes,http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/ireland/poll-shows-strong-support-for-lisbon-426130.html
then it will be up to the Czech Republic
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/telegraph-view/6212920/Lisbon-Treaty-Czech-Republic-offers-hope-of-a-referendum.html
Reply 6
because i can!!
Reply 7
bansheeee*
because i can!!

What specifically don't you like about the treaty?
Reply 8
I've been on the exact bus where all the EU members were when they went to make the treaty of lisbon.

I'm so connected
Reply 9
We need a better way of reforming the European Union than to simply allow a few member-states to hold the rest of us to ransom.

The first referendum annoyed me. More than ever, vast amounts of information were available to the Irish people on the nature of the document, yet so many rejected it on the basis of things that were not in it, or simply not understanding its contents. I suppose the old adage about leading horses to water is quite true.

I think that demonstrates a pretty good reason why we shouldn't be having referendums on issues such as this. Few understand it, less really care. Plus, frankly, we're kidding ourselves if we suggest Ireland can hold back the tide of EU reform. Yes, they can get some concessions out of the Union if it makes things difficult, but ultimately their consent is a formal hurdle, not an ideological challenge.
This is the dilemma of the EU. If they offer referendums to the member states, they'll get answers they don't like. On the other hand, they can't just go and mess with our constitution without our consent. The logical conclusion, of course, (on the assumption Britain would have voted no in our promised referendum) is that they shouldn't mess with our constitution, but they won't accept that...
Reply 11
If the referendum is passed (which sadly, it seems it will), then I hope to the Lord above that the Czechs can delay it's passing until our saviour Davie Cameron comes into power. If this occurs hopefully he'll have the conviction to actually have a referendum on the issue.
Reply 12
Does each member state decide whether or not hold a referendum for things like this? It's a bit of a weird situation to be in where people in some countries get to vote and others don't, because our fate is decided by how people in another country vote.
Reply 13
Psyk
Does each member state decide whether or not hold a referendum for things like this? It's a bit of a weird situation to be in where people in some countries get to vote and others don't, because our fate is decided by how people in another country vote.

I think the Irish have a specific law requiring a referendum.
God I hope they vote no again.
MaxTib
If the referendum is passed (which sadly, it seems it will), then I hope to the Lord above that the Czechs can delay it's passing until our saviour Davie Cameron comes into power. If this occurs hopefully he'll have the conviction to actually have a referendum on the issue.

It is said that if there is a referendum in the UK, UK would have to remove itself from the EU. (because it would be a definitive no)
I hope the Paddy's vote the way they want to and aren't pushed around by the EU gits.
Reply 16
bansheeee*
because i can!!
Well, that's a mature and thoughtful approach to voting, isn't it?...

Latest

Trending

Trending