The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Computer Science Year 1 - Choosing Modules?

Hey guys; I need to pick your brains if that's OK!

I'm choosing modules for Computer Science and I really would like to do Mathematical Programming which means, after looking at what clashes that the most do-able combination is:

Mathematical Programming
Introduction to Computer Security
Elements of Scientific Method

Now my problem is that I did not do a single essay subject at A level so I haven't written essays in a LONG time! Can any others who have taken the 'Elements of Scientific Method' module from Computer Science let me know what it's like? I know it's only 6 CATS but if I mess it up will it mess up my first year? I've looked at past papers and stuff but really wanted to find out what it's like from a non-essay-writer's point of view.

Reply 1
My advice is: don't get too hung up on the module choices you make now. I've just done my module registration for 3rd year CS, but they are by no-means concrete. What me and my fellow CS students tend to do is to register for everything and then deregister later in the year before the exams. You get several oipportuinties to change modules throughout the year and can de-register at any time up until april (i think).

Also, are you sure you have clashes, this is very very rare. If your basing this from your timetable, look at wether its a seminar (which there are often multiple sessions of in a single week) or a lecture.

Computer Security is an amazing first year module, i believe mathematical programming is quite ok, but A Level Maths Discrete Maths module is useful for it. They really don't give you much choice in optional modules this year, we had principles of concurrency back in my day! When choosing your modules, bear in mind that you can take modules that aren't on the list from other departments (i took Stats from the Maths dept, for example, which used to be on the main list). I also suggest thinking about doing more than 120 CATS, because it reduces the grade boundaries and doesn't add that much extra work in your first year.

As for essay writing, plenty of that in the Professional Skills module. Sorry I couldn't help you precisely about Elements of Scientific method, just register, go along and if you don't like it, deregister!
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
agreeing with basically everything timekeeper said above.
register for everything you may be interested in, and just drop it as you go along- at the start of the year i had 152 cats which i whittled down :biggrin:

comp sec was good fun, math prog was what i expected i guess- not very interesting!
i have a friend who did elements of scientific method and i remember him saying he regretted doing it, but that is just one persons view, i'm sure if you are interested in it you'll enjoy it :biggrin: he only took it because he hated stats!

and please dont worry about 'messing it up', i'm sure you'll be fine~ ^^ i very much messed up professional skills (ARGH I HATED IT UWAH >_< ) but my other modules pulled it right up (yay maths <3)!
Reply 3
I'm probably going to go for computer security, mathematical programming and quantitative economics. Sort of checked for any clashes and I couldn't see any.
Reply 4
So would you all recommend choosing modules before term starts and just changing them if we don't like them?
Reply 5
yh a little questions guys you know for the qunatiative economics i really want to do the module but as i have not studied economics before in a-level will i be disadvantaged to score highly than the economists, need sme help with that one please????
Reply 6
timekeeper
If your basing this from your timetable, look at wether its a seminar (which there are often multiple sessions of in a single week) or a lecture.

Which one is worth taking, a seminar or a lecture? I cannot understand much of the abbreviation of L and S to decide which modules to take to avoid the clashes
Reply 7
Lectures = big sessions with everyone from the module in,watching the lecturer present slides. Attend these,if you can...

Seminars = smaller groups with a postgrad student,often helping you with problem sheets and any material that was confusing in the lectures. You normally only attend one of these per week.
Reply 8
Okay, so a question to current Comp Sci students, which modules would you NOT choose to do, because it is boring and/or difficult?

The choice is...

CS134 Introduction to Computer Security 15.0
EC106 Introduction to Quantitative Economics 24.0
IB104 Mathematical Programming I 12.0
PH121 Issues In Philosophy 12.0
PH123 Elements of Scientific Method 6.0
ST104 Statistical Laboratory I 12.0

Numbers represent CATS weighting. I've just found that you can add lots of modules from other departments - are there any of them that anyone can recommend?
Reply 9
To answer the question about EC106 Introduction to Quantitative Econommics, nope, you will not be disadvantaged if you have not studied A Level Economics.
Reply 10
thanks about the economics module cos its like 24 cats and i dnt want to be struggling btw as im looking towards IB will this module be beneficial in that sense? cheers again

Latest