The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Selenax
which would you recommend for a b.a degree?? are either of them preferable/more widely acknowledged/respectable.

Stanford is my favourite university in the world. Guess which one I'd recommend...
Reply 2
but ive got to pick one !!! haa
Reply 3
KiiNGofLONDON
Stanford is my favourite university in the world. Guess which one I'd recommend...

not being snotty but why, a little explaining would help me alot.......... :smile:and please don't just say because its in california :wink:
thames valley
Reply 5
also how to these two compere to say oxford, my teachers parents etc want me to apply to oxford and one ivy league but i cant chose between stanford/princeton as i love them both :smile:
Selenax
also how to these two compere to say oxford, my teachers parents etc want me to apply to oxford and one ivy league but i cant chose between stanford/princeton as i love them both :smile:

If your parents want you to apply to an Ivy League university and you are only interested in Princeton or Stanford, then you will have to apply to Princeton as Stanford isn't an Ivy League university.
Well, first of all, Stanford isn't an Ivy League college. All the Ivies are on the east coast. I love Stanford because it's located in a beautiful part of California that seems to have inspired a large number of people (just look at all the MNC's that started there - Google, Yahoo, Hewlett Packard, Facebook & Apple to name a few). It has one of the most incredible campuses you'll ever see, it's faculty is absolutely brilliant (with a particularly strong Philosophy department :P) and, obviously, it's in Cali so the weather is incredible. It's also half an hour away from beaches and an hour or so from San Fran. It's a dream. Be aware, however, that they don't offer financial support to international applicants.
paddy__power
thames valley

Pawns All.:yep:
captnibby1234
Pawns All.:yep:

*pwns
Reply 10
I'd probably go with Princeton simply because I find its architecture and campus stunning. Many people say the same about Stanford, but to me it looks like a Taco Bell situated on a golf course. Princeton has long been considered the most undergraduate-centric of the top colleges (except Dartmouth), but I don't know to what extent that is actually true.

As a plus, Princeton (unlike Stanford) is need-blind for internationals.

Lumina Princetonia
:love:
Princeton is proabably more respected than Stanford. Although, by only a small margin. It should also depend on location. Would you rather be on the East Coast or West Coast? (East Coast is so much better than the West Coast). What do you want to major in? Etc.
devil09
I'd probably go with Princeton simply because I find its architecture and campus stunning. Many people say the same about Stanford, but to me it looks like a Taco Bell situated on a golf course. Princeton has long been considered the most undergraduate-centric of the top colleges (except Dartmouth), but I don't know to what extent that is actually true.

As a plus, Princeton (unlike Stanford) is need-blind for internationals.

Lumina Princetonia
:love:

Stanford is widely accepted to have the most beautiful campus in both the US and the world.
KiiNGofLONDON
Stanford is widely accepted to have the most beautiful campus in both the US and the world.

It depends on your taste. In California, I think Pepperdine and Loyola Marymount both have a more attractive campus than Stanford. Nationally, I think that Sweet Briar's campus is stunning. Princeton's is attractive and I really like Swathmore and Flagler.
Reply 14
KiiNGofLONDON

:lies:

Widely accepted by Stanford students, perhaps.

It's worth noting that Stanford has not made the Princeton Review list of the top 20 most beautiful campuses in at least the past 3 years, whereas Princeton has been on it every year. In fact, it has ranked as high as #2 and #1.
KiiNGofLONDON

Yeah. OK. If you constitute the whole world.:rolleyes:

Off the top of my head:

Cornell
University of Virginia

Both of these schools have much prettier campuses than Stanford.
Baltimoron
Yeah. OK. If you constitute the whole world.:rolleyes:

Off the top of my head:

Cornell
University of Virginia

Both of these schools have much prettier campuses than Stanford.

It is a completely subjective area. That said, Stanford is the only campus I've heard described in that way by countless people, and I have to agree with them.
Reply 17
uhh facebook started at harvard.
Reply 18
OP, visit both campuses and decide from there. They're neck-and-neck in terms of academic quality and reputation (for undergrad) except for engineering where Stanford is quite stronger than most schools in the US. I had the same dilemma before but I ultimately chose to go to Stanford after visiting.

East Coast vs West Coast.
Reply 19
ILIGAN
They're neck-and-neck in terms of academic quality and reputation (for undergrad) except for engineering where Stanford is quite stronger than most schools in the US.

Although I agree that engineering at Stanford is matched only by MIT and Berkeley, the difference between the quality of engineering at Stanford and Princeton is no greater than the difference between the quality of their humanities programs, where Princeton holds an edge (arguably less).

Latest

Trending

Trending