The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

RadioElectric
Bingo. There's an alarming number of people here who seem to think their degrees are going to be a gateway into a higher class of work that's denied to people who didn't go to university. There really aren't that many jobs that you need a university degree for and for most of the rest the "experience" headstart that people who don't have a degree can get on you will more than make up for your academic superiority.

Seems these days that a lot more employers are specifying a degree as required to apply for a job - even though a degree isn't needed to do the job.
As government pushes degree education more and as more people go for degrees, I suspect that problem will become more common.
Higher class of work maybe, but not as high as many people want.
mart2306
Seems these days that a lot more employers are specifying a degree as required to apply for a job - even though a degree isn't needed to do the job.
As government pushes degree education more and as more people go for degrees, I suspect that problem will become more common.
Higher class of work maybe, but not as high as many people want.

These "degree required" jobs tend to ring kind of strange with me though. Most of them seem to be recruitment, management-training or sales. All areas where lots of people do as well from getting in on the ground floor and working their way up (without having a degree).
Reply 142
Ever thought people might drop out because they hate university and their course and just can't stand it anymore? It's not about thinking being a waitress full-time is the best thing to do, it's about absolutely despising university and simply not being able to continue with something they hate.
RadioElectric
These "degree required" jobs tend to ring kind of strange with me though. Most of them seem to be recruitment, management-training or sales. All areas where lots of people do as well from getting in on the ground floor and working their way up (without having a degree).

My field is charity work.
Seen a lot more of 'degree required' application forms in the past 3 years than there used to be, in areas such as admin, fundraising, caseworker, etc.
Doesn't matter you can do the job if can't get past the first sift of application forms.

20 years ago many jobs just specified O levels or GCSEs. Haven't seen one of them in quite some time.
mart2306
20 years ago many jobs just specified O levels or GCSEs. Haven't seen one of them in quite some time.

Seriously? Then you've not been looking. There are LOADs of jobs around that only ask for GCSEs as an entry requirement.
Essentially they "cba" anymore.
RadioElectric
Seriously? Then you've not been looking. There are LOADs of jobs around that only ask for GCSEs as an entry requirement.

Then they've not been advertised in the places I see jobs in on a daily basis.
Seeing as I'm not looking for a new job at the moment (two being enough for now), I'm not actively searching like many people do.
Reply 147
RadioElectric
Bingo. There's an alarming number of people here who seem to think their degrees are going to be a gateway into a higher class of work that's denied to people who didn't go to university. There really aren't that many jobs that you need a university degree for and for most of the rest the "experience" headstart that people who don't have a degree can get on you will more than make up for your academic superiority.

Yup. It seems to be "must get into uni or I'll die", but when they finish there...they haven't a scooby of what to do.
LuhLah
Yup. It seems to be "must get into uni or I'll die", but when they finish there...they haven't a scooby of what to do.

You are damn right. The aftermath of uni is vacuous.
LuhLah

What someone thinks they want to do with their life at age 18 (or 17 when applying to universities) can be quite different from what they later figure out they want to do with their life.

I learnt about the subject matter of my degree decades before I applied to do it, I think I've made the right choice. Though to me the knowledge gained comes second to gaining new skills.
Reply 150
mart2306
What someone thinks they want to do with their life at age 18 (or 17 when applying to universities) can be quite different from what they later figure out they want to do with their life.

I learnt about the subject matter of my degree decades before I applied to do it, I think I've made the right choice. Though to me the knowledge gained comes second to gaining new skills.

This is exactly my point.

People (on here mostly) need to realise that if they DO screw up in their exams, drop out or whatever, that there are always loads more options. Academia ain't everything. Look at my mum: expelled from two different schools with NO qualifications and managed to work her way up, and now shes the manager of a shopping centre/mall thing. People are so brainwashed and think that if they do well academically; everything will be nice and happy when they finish. I hate to burst the bubble, but reality dun work like that.
Reply 151
LuhLah
People are so brainwashed and think that if they do well academically; everything will be nice and happy when they finish. I hate to burst the bubble, but reality dun work like that.

Apart from when it does you mean?
LuhLah
This is exactly my point.

People (on here mostly) need to realise that if they DO screw up in their exams, drop out or whatever, that there are always loads more options. Academia ain't everything. Look at my mum: expelled from two different schools with NO qualifications and managed to work her way up, and now shes the manager of a shopping centre/mall thing. People are so brainwashed and think that if they do well academically; everything will be nice and happy when they finish. I hate to burst the bubble, but reality dun work like that.

Reality can work like that - not often, but choices you make can have a difference.
Siezing opportunities rather than watch them sail past, making themselves stand out from the crowd, doing what needs doing to get the job you want.
Sometimes that will mean not going to uni, sometimes mean dropping out of uni for a while. Or can mean staying on to do masters/doctorate.

There is no standard formula, no set way to get an ideal job. Degree close some avenues and adds others - but doesn't guarantee anything. Merely allows some different options.

Want to be a head of department in a company? Skills are essential, chances might be better with a degree but not impossible without.
Want to be a politician? Degree not required. Want to be a lawyer? I think degree might be required for that.
Different options, no guaranted place with even a doctorate.
mermania
Grades and fancy jobs aren't the be all and end all. "Being a lawyer" sounds great in theory but waiting tables is a much more pleasant and less stressful way of life tbh. You don't have to 'get somewhere' to be happy.

Word.

The whole formal education system is disillusioning for some. Surely, true education is to understand the truth of one's entire existence. And not, therefore, for the purpose of gettin qualified to meet the expectations of an employer who will exploit you anyway or becoming a slave to someone and their ideas, or being a part of a system which is detrimental to humanity. One must consider these things seriously.

I think a very difficult thing to find out is one's purpose, and formal education doesn't really help in that quest, in my opinion.
silverbolt
so she stayed and ended up becoming a lawyer? and what if she hated it? what if she didnt want to do that? what if she *shock horror* actually did not think that getting a high paid job was the be all and end all of everything? Maybe shes actually happy doing what shes doing.

to quote bruce almighty - some of the happiest people in the world go home at the end of the day stinking to high heaen.

If your friend pursued your dream of going to college/uni becoming a lawyer and making a mint and getting the big house and the white picket fence and the 2.4 children. and absolutely hated her life? In which case her life is wasted.

Money doesnt make you happy and if waiting tables does make her happy then shes richer than you will ever be.

Of course if shes a dosser and simply couldnt be bothered then i take it all back

I agree money isnt everything but look at it like this.

She had the potential to become a lawyer and wanted to. Now whats the worst that could have happened if she'd had a go at it? She goes to Uni, meets new friends, enjoys student life. But decides ''nah this isnt for me'' and drops out of Uni and gets a job. She could still get the same job she got before going to Uni.

Yes some ppl dont mind not being rich or well off, but most do. You cant say ''she could have hated being rich'' because thats like going into schools and going ''so Tom what do you want to be when youre older'' ''....erm, an author'' ''ooooh nah dont do that, you'll become rich and you might hate being rich, become a lorry driver instead'' she could hate being rich, but she could (more likely) hate being poor.
rajandkwameali
waiters, cleaners, dustbin men, etc.

most people on this forum wouldn't be these, or at least this wouldn't be their highest achievement in life. :smile:

Funny you include dustbin men but not teachers. I know a lot of binmen earn more than teachers, their salary is very respectable, on average only a few hundred less than a teacher and where would we be without them?
kratos90
Funny you include dustbin men but not teachers. I know a lot of binmen earn more than teachers, their salary is very respectable, on average only a few hundred less than a teacher and where would we be without them?

I don't understand this idea that not having a degree condemns you to working in some sort of "underclass". Maybe the people who feel this way should ask successful people they encounter whether they have a degree. I'd wager many of them don't.
kratos90

id happily be a dustbin man - you earn a mint, great pension, healthcare, short hours no weekends - whats not to like?

RadioElectric
I don't understand this idea that not having a degree condemns you to working in some sort of "underclass". Maybe the people who feel this way should ask successful people they encounter whether they have a degree. I'd wager many of them don't.

this - having a degree doesnt always work great for people. I work as a manager in a call centre two of hte people under me have degrees in architecture and law and havent been able to find work
Some people go to university with completely off-the-wall expectations, and find that it's not all that it was cracked up to be, either socially or academically. Some people go to university with a clear and accurate understanding of what it'll be like, but may decide that it's not for them. I don't begrudge most people who choose to drop out of education - with a bit of graft and intelligence you can sometimes become more successful by jumping into the business sector straight off of the bat. University just isn't for everyone.

Latest

Trending

Trending