The Student Room Group

Training for Boxing

√Ive taken up boxing again and i need some advice on training for it.

√The ideal boxer has high fitness, good technique, speed, strength and lots of stamina..im gona build strength, stamina and fitness before i work on the others..

√my mate told me that a proper strength-training program can increase a boxer’s explosive power and speed.. what i want to know is how i can train "properly" in this way.. e.g. hitting punchbags / sparring ? (ive been going gym 4-5 months)

if anyone can help it apreciate it :biggrin:
explosive training... sub maximal weights at maximum rep speed

core strength abs, obliques, lower back

focus on slow twitch fibres in isolation

heavy compound exercises

learn to skip
Reply 2
what about building triceps/back for hitting hard punches?
ive taken up skipping as well and alls going good.

focus on slow twitch fibres in isolation

what does that mean?
alkaeda
what about building triceps/back for hitting hard punches?
ive taken up skipping as well and alls going good.

what does that mean?

the triceps and the back will develop power from the compound exercises you will be doing.

slow twitch fibres are a type of fibre in the muscle of which there are two. The fast twitch deal with the maximal strength part so a 1 rep max bench will use all of your fast twitch fibres. Slow twitch deal with the stamina and endurance part, repeating a movement over and over until exaustion wont hit the fast twitch fibres but will hit your slow twitch fibres, these type dont grow to nearly the extent as the fast twitch, but you will notice a different in the last round, as you will be less tired.
Reply 4
I'm at the boxing gym 4-5 days a week, and at the regular gym the other times.

All i can say is run. If you can't run, you can't box. It's alright saying 'i can punch' - not good enough, you need to be able to punch for rounds.

You should spar everytime you have a chance too. Nail your technique through the heavy bag and a coach.

This is pretty much my routine.

M: conditioning - core training - skill (boxing) training
T: strength - skill
W: conditioning - core training - skill (boxing) training
T: skill
F: conditioning - core training - skill (boxing) training
S: strength
S: rest (active)

With another weight session thrown in when i feel my best.

core training is just that, abs/planks, medicine ball work, if you're stuck i can post loads.
skill training is sparring, heavy bag, speed bag, technique, speed work, calisthenics.
conditioning is running, HIIT, hill work, calisthenics/bw.
strength is weights, lift explosively, compound movements. don't forget the legs, weak legs = weak punch.

Latest

Trending

Trending