The Student Room Group

The "Help, I don't want to be at Uni anymore" Thread

Ok so i move away to uni tomorrow.
I've had a bit of a tough time actually sorting it out and going, so i should be feeling happy and relieved, right?
Everyone else seems to be so excited about moving away, and really looking forward to their courses, and like it's the best thing ever.
But i just don't feel any of that :frown: it's like i don't even care about the coruse anymore, and the moving away and 'new start' kinda thing doesn't feel happy to me..feels like the end of a bunch of stuff, and like i'm not ready for it.
I have no idea why i feel like this, maybe i haven't picked the right uni/ subject etc but ALL my friends that are going feel totally positive about it all. Just wondering if anyone else on here is feeling the same...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Feel very much the same - very scared. You're not alone :hugs:
Reply 2
UHHH, EXACTLY the same, 'last' night out, 'last' so many things that i feel the need to recognise and other people just saying, it's the start of good things. Which it is, but we shud be allwoed to express our fears, mb just depends on kinda person!! ITS THE END OF ROUTINE! :frown: :smile: going 2mo!! :frown:
Reply 3
wrong uni & wrong couse ,expensive accomodation, no money from SLC,...............how can i feel good.:mad:
Painkiller
wrong uni & wrong couse ,expensive accomodation, no money from SLC,...............how can i feel good.:mad:

if it is the wrong uni and course...you don't have to go

i don't want to put you off cos everything happens for a reason, but don't waste your money on the wrong course and expensive accom if you really aren't happy

:o:
Reply 5
[if it is the wrong uni and course...you don't have to go

i don't want to put you off cos everything happens for a reason, but don't waste your money on the wrong course and expensive accom if you really aren't happy

]
No choice, cant exactly take a third gap year:yep: no jobs around:frown: , parents will be like :mad: , maybe i will tranfer, fingers crossed
:frown: I feel sorry for you guys because I remember feeling exactly the same when I started two years ago.

Don't worry too much about the 'last...' things. It's easy to forget that you're only at uni for about half the year and assuming you and your friends are planning on moving back home for the holidays, you'll still see them then! Because it'll be boring when you go home.. and people will be keen to catch up. So just forget the whole 'last night out' thing altogether! If you come home twice a time that only a month - more like a long holiday!

If you're worried it's the wrong course/uni.. well, you can either not go, or go and see how the first couple of weeks go. There are things to be aware of though -

- The first few weeks will be the hardest and it will probably get better.
- It'll be harder to drop out once you've started because you're surrounded by people who think you should stay (tutors, most other students etc).
- There might be financial repercussions - e.g. you'll have to pay for your accommodation until you find a new person (although shouldn't be too hard in the first few weeks) and will probably lose your deposit.
- A LOT of people at uni have done gap years, dropped out once before, worked for a few years first etc - and it's not stigmatized or anything. No-one will judge you for not coming straight from school and you'll be better prepared for uni if you've done something else first.
- There are good alternatives to university. It's not right for everyone (including a lot of intelligent people who've done well at school) so do investigate other options, although obviously we are in a recession and you might have trouble finding work at first.

Hope this helps and good luck :smile:

PS - Starting uni IS scary. I'm going back for my third year this week and even I'm a bit nervous cus I've been home for so long! The fact that you probably don't know anyone wherever you're going makes it ten times worse, but as soon as you make a few friends you'll feel much happier.
Reply 7
I feel kind of crap about going uni too, but for other reasons. I mean I'm really not thinking about it. For me personally, I just am not bothered about going. I was really looking forward to it at the beginning of the year, but as times gone on I'm just not stressed out or excited or anything abiut it anymore. It doesn't even feel like I'm going.
Its my fourth day at uni and i feel like i've made the wrong decision in deciding to come. I feel like dropping out already. Can anyone give me some advice?
Reply 9
What's wrong? give it a few months atleast.
Reply 10
What's made it that bad? You can't be into normal lectures yet- give it a while, and then if it's still not right you can leave but you may as well give it a go!

I had an awful start in my first year and am still here so if you want to talk you can PM me x
I feel like i've taken on too big of a commitment. The course i'm doing is a 4 year one, and i just don't feel at home here.
I know the feeling, it took me 2 days to realise it wasn't for me. My sollution was to move back home and commute.

Are you living on campus? have you thought of moving off campus? it doesn't feel as stressful
Reply 13
tea_or_coffee?
I feel like i've taken on too big of a commitment. The course i'm doing is a 4 year one, and i just don't feel at home here.

Until you have a better option how is commitment a problem? When you find something better to do, drop out then. The commitment is an illusion.
tea_or_coffee?

If you're anything like me, all you're hear is "give it a while longer" it may be worth it
does anyone know if i drop out a few months into the course if i'd still have to pay a full years tuition fees?
Reply 16
tea_or_coffee?

I can understand the instant feeling of not feeling at home- but give it a while. You might, in a few days, meet some people who change it all for you and all of a sudden you can see the future there. That didn't happen for me until about halfway through first year.

Mine's a 4 year course, it will fly by I promise you.

Where are you if you don't mind me asking?
You are my friend.
Reply 18
Don't stop believing
tea_or_coffee?
does anyone know if i drop out a few months into the course if i'd still have to pay a full years tuition fees?

You wont have to pay full years fees

Latest

Trending

Trending