The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
ennC
Do you dress like a cow? :woo:

Made me LOL
i walked down the street in london and some guy like snoop doggy dog said when he was walking by ''woah nice girl '' then he called me back and shook my hand, another day this person was walking on the footpath on the other side of the street when i was walking to the shop ''hello beautiful girl'' , but never anything negative, but then again you cant tell im irish by looking at me/
Because the UK is a **** hole.

Kevin J
A smooth sea never made a good sailor.

Woah. Will rep soon :biggrin:
panglossian
Except, the girl shouted at the guy I was with "I heard you have a small dick!" and he shouted back "I heard the same about you!" She froze and everyone with her burst out laughing at her. :biggrin:

LMAO!!!!
Reply 84
Hey sexy.
Reply 85
Rubgish
Its not a positive thing. Its making a negative thing seem ok. I'll explain my previous post in more detail incase you didn't understand it.

Your saying suggests that while you may be insulted (rough sea), you may become a better person for it (good sailor). What I am suggesting, is that we should never have this situation in the first place. If there wasn't any insulting or rude comments, then the world would be a better place. If you just accept that you are going to get insulted, then it won't change. Not everyone can bounce back stronger, some people get hurt/annoyed by being shouted at or insulted all the time. It'd be better for everyone if it didn't happen in the first place. Hence why its a bad comment, because its encouraging people to carry on with how things are now.

I'm just putting a positive spin on something she can't control. She can't stop people shouting abuse at her.
erica123
Hey all,

sorry if this is posted in the wrong bit of tsr. anyways, i just wanted to ask other people, do you get comments like everyday whilst walking along the street?

i have lived out of the UK for a while, and recently moved back...and while i was away i never got a single negative comment. since moving back, i'll be out exercising and get lots of negative comments. so, yesterday i was just walking along the side walk and some guy yells out his car window 'mooooo' - this kinda thing happens a lot. im not sure why exactly i attract this attention because im usually just keeping myself to myself..i guess i do look kinda different cuz i am half japanese/half english..and some of the comments are racial.

i just don't understand why this only seems to happen when im living in the UK. :frown:

any comments/thoughts would be appreciated. guess i just needed to put this out somewhere. thank you, erica xxx

LOL! Sorry i found that funny. :biggrin:
i normally get guys staring at me and turning their head as i walk past, often accompanied by 'alrite sexy' 'fancy some' 'i'd tap that' etc... or honk/whistles from cars... its horrible cos i just feel so self-concious and i dont know how to explain but you feel like you're just some object :frown:
"get yer rat oot" has been one the neds have been using more often here. Really quite charming...
i'm a guy but i get some girls especially making comments as i go past. i'm a model so i'm used to be objectified as a piece of meat and i have to admit i actually like it. Once a chav girl walked past whilst i was in a shop and stopped at the window and make a 'licking-out gesture' with her tongue in between a v-shape made by her fore-finger and middle finger (that's a rubbish explanation but you know what i mean.) At least 20 times in total a chav girl would walk past a make comments like 'alright there stud' or something to that effect. i also bring it upon myself sometimes running without my shirt on in the summertime. what can i say - i like the attention. the only negative thing someone's said to me is when i was running a girl turned round and said 'run, fat boy, run' (which actually made me lol) - i'm not actually fat though.
I don't get that many comments in the uk, but anytime I'm in spain on holiday, random people on the street always mention me and my sister's paleness. I remember one wee spanish girl of about 5 saying to her friends ':eek: That girl is white, so white!!' haha. Other tourists mention it to, but not really negatively, just things like 'Nice to see I'm not the palest around here after all!' :lol: But we blend right in in Ireland. :smile:

At home, I just get those really cheesy chatup lines once in a while like most girls. I normally just laugh, but one time I was with my dad and a boy shouted out really loudly 'I've lost my phone number, can I have yours?', then hefollowed us to the end of the road with the rest of his group trying to get me to turn round. My dad was like :mad: and didn't stop swearing until they'd gone even though it was only a joke :p: :o:
Reply 91
ArcadiaHouse
Because the UK is a **** hole.

Woah. Will rep soon :biggrin:

:smile:

A very fitting saying to a thread like this. :yep:
I get "attention" of sorts when I'm out most days. It really does annoy me. Most of it is, I think, their attempts at paying me a compliment but it just irritates me instead. I get men leaning out of their windows to stare at me (especially van and lorry drivers, grrr!), I get beeped at, wolf whistles, "alright sexy", "alright love" etc. Sometimes I'll just get random abuse as well. I don't dress slutty in the slightest, I don't stand out that much in what I wear or how I look or anything so I really don't get what I do to get comments all the time.
I've definitely noticed it's an English thing as well. I've had eye contact in other countries and smiles or whatever but in England, generally, I just find most people so bloody rude and lecherous.
It seems we don't really have the respect a lot of other cultures do and it's a shame.

This is better at summing it up actually:

ReachForTheStars
i normally get guys staring at me and turning their head as i walk past, often accompanied by 'alrite sexy' 'fancy some' 'i'd tap that' etc... or honk/whistles from cars... its horrible cos i just feel so self-concious and i dont know how to explain but you feel like you're just some object :frown:

But, I have to admit, I did laugh a bit at the original post... "mooooooo" hahaha could they not think of something that made any sense? Obviously not. :p: I just find its randomness very funny. Not saying it was pleasant, but just lol.
malleablegrace
I get "attention" of sorts when I'm out most days. It really does annoy me. Most of it is, I think, their attempts at paying me a compliment but it just irritates me instead. I get men leaning out of their windows to stare at me (especially van and lorry drivers, grrr!), I get beeped at, wolf whistles, "alright sexy", "alright love" etc. Sometimes I'll just get random abuse as well. I don't dress slutty in the slightest, I don't stand out that much in what I wear or how I look or anything so I really don't get what I do to get comments all the time.
I've definitely noticed it's an English thing as well. I've had eye contact in other countries and smiles or whatever but in England, generally, I just find most people so bloody rude and lecherous.
It seems we don't really have the respect a lot of other cultures do and it's a shame.

This is better at summing it up actually:

But, I have to admit, I did laugh a bit at the original post... "mooooooo" hahaha could they not think of something that made any sense? Obviously not. I just find its randomness very funny. Not saying it was pleasant, but just lol.

So sorry :console: :hugs:
sil3nt_cha0s
So sorry :console: :hugs:

Don't you apologise, it's not you doing it :p:

Unless it is, in which case :eviltongue: haha. But I don't think you'd do that... it is good to know that there are actually nice people out there who make up for the crappy ones :smile:
malleablegrace
Don't you apologise, it's not you doing it

Unless it is, in which case haha. But I don't think you'd do that... it is good to know that there are actually nice people out there who make up for the crappy ones :smile:

I don't remember ever whistling at someone who looks like you, ever :s-smilie:

You're too kind :blush:
Reply 96
WoWZa
I was with a really attractive Norwegian girl, and she was like "People here shout out across the road to me". I asked if this happened in Norway to which she declined. I was like lawl.

It's considered strange to randomly talk to strangers on the street in Norway (and even more so in Sweden and Finland). You do get people staring at you on the street in Norway, but it's a lot easier to get use to than chavs spouting insults.
Paul PTS
Cпасибо,хорошая шишка!

шишка is not pineapple, шишка means pine cone.... how do i know? I am Russian, pineapple for English people to read is ananas or in russian ананас
Not really. Although I did a few times when I was at college. There was/is a high population of Blacks, Asians and other ethnic minorities and sometimes when I was walking with a few Asian friends of mine I would get a few moronic comments shot my way by some lads in a group.
Anyone ever been called a 'bus ******'?

It seems like it's the new cool thing to do now.

Latest

Trending

Trending