The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
seaspray
Well what makes you think that just because someones parents earn 30k+ it means that they themselves couldn't do with the money?

BTW, I think that what you just said is BS. If people would prefer to work harder than get benefits they why the hell don't they? They should have thought about before leaving school with no qualifications.

well there has to be an f'in cut off point somewhere doesn't there!!!!

precisely why i think you're an absolute snob....many people dont just have grammar school educations or the chance to learn in places where they are taught properly....a friend of mine goes to an awful comprehensive near my house and hasn't even been taught GCSE maths A standard material because his tutor assumed none of them would grasp it anyway......

and many people aren't pushed at home to learn and study....without my parents guiding me i probably wouldn't have acheived what i have at GCSE and A-level.....if you did know more people or lower priveleged backgrounds....you;d realise that its not as clear cut as why didn't your parents get better qualifications then
seaspray
Well with all the benefits they probably get, yes, they probably can afford to pay her that much.

See, there you go again! For God's sake, try and get it into your head that NOT EVERYONE WHOSE CHILDREN GET EMA IS ON BENEFITS!!!
kellywood_5
How else would you suggest students are categorised? It's not just EMA that these categories are used for, it's the amount of student loan and whether any burasries etc are received at university, so there must be some merits to the system.

how about categorising students because of their abilitiy????/ ability takes into consideration factors inside education and outside ... including family incomne. therefore, categorisiations are more broad.
Since I've been browsing TSR, I've noticed that there are a lot of ignorant middle-class snobs around. Honestly, you people are disgusting with your "Oh, if you earn less than 30K you must be lazy". My parents own far less than 30k each, and they've done nothing but work hard all their lives. They're also two of the most intelligent people I know. I don't qualify for EMA because their combined income is a few thousand over, but this doesn't make me bitter about it. EMA was introduced at my college last September, and since we live in a fairly deprived area I'd say around 65-70% of students get EMA. I don't know anyone that has "abused" it. I also think that EMA isn't just about buying books and stationery. If it was about that, the Government wouldn't be giving out so much money. Poor families might be tempted to entice their children to leave school as soon as possible in order to get a wage to support themselves. £30 a week isn't as much as a full-time job would be, but I genuinely believe it has helped so many kids at my college not drop out.
*starry_eyed_*
how about categorising students because of their abilitiy????/ ability takes into consideration factors inside education and outside ... including family incomne. therefore, categorisiations are more broad.

Ability has nothing to do with money! That would result in a load of private school kids getting money over poorer kids who really need the money, but aren't doing as well because they don't go to a fancy school.

HOW exactly does ability take into account family income? There's no correlation between family income and innate ability.
Reply 86
yelwalkietalkie
Since I've been browsing TSR, I've noticed that there are a lot of ignorant middle-class snobs around. Honestly, you people are disgusting with your "Oh, if you earn less than 30K you must be lazy". My parents own far less than 30k each, and they've done nothing but work hard all their lives. They're also two of the most intelligent people I know. I don't qualify for EMA because their combined income is a few thousand over, but this doesn't make me bitter about it. EMA was introduced at my college last September, and since we live in a fairly deprived area I'd say around 65-70% of students get EMA. I don't know anyone that has "abused" it. I also think that EMA isn't just about buying books and stationery. If it was about that, the Government wouldn't be giving out so much money. Poor families might be tempted to entice their children to leave school as soon as possible in order to get a wage to support themselves. £30 a week isn't as much as a full-time job would be, but I genuinely believe it has helped so many kids at my college not drop out.

exactly right i agree with you....

...but what can you do when many of these people have never even associated with many underpriveleged people but still feel that they have the right to judge..

...and seaspray you haven;t commented at my post in reply to yours(top of page)
Reply 87
I dont agree with the EMA, i am not sugesting all those who receive it are lazy, however its purpose is questionable, it does inded act as a incendtive to stay on after 16, but this is not the right option for people who are not academically able, they are pursuaded to stay on at school, getting rubbish grades and then they will be sat at home watching TV in two years time. School, and university is not for everybody. They would be better doing vocational training.

Also nobody at my school who gets EMA 'needs' it to survive or but school books, that idea is absurd.
Reply 88
kellywood_5
See, there you go again! For God's sake, try and get it into your head that NOT EVERYONE WHOSE CHILDREN GET EMA IS ON BENEFITS!!!

Surely that just makes it MORE UNFAIR - no benefits? Then why do you need EMA?
Reply 89
jiggaman7
...and seaspray you haven;t commented at my post in reply to yours(top of page)

Give me a chance. I don't live on this forum.
Reply 90
jiggaman7
well there has to be an f'in cut off point somewhere doesn't there!!!!

precisely why i think you're an absolute snob....many people dont just have grammar school educations or the chance to learn in places where they are taught properly....a friend of mine goes to an awful comprehensive near my house and hasn't even been taught GCSE maths A standard material because his tutor assumed none of them would grasp it anyway......

and many people aren't pushed at home to learn and study....without my parents guiding me i probably wouldn't have acheived what i have at GCSE and A-level.....if you did know more people or lower priveleged backgrounds....you;d realise that its not as clear cut as why didn't your parents get better qualifications then

If people don't have the "chance" to study in an appropiate situation, then I sympathise. Perhaps the rest of the students in your friends Math class show no yearn to learn anything and show a lack of respect for the teacher, so the tutor has decided to generalise the class. This has little to do with EMA payments and is focused entirely on the state of some state schools.

People shouldn't need to be "pushed" into studying. If they want to go out and make themselves a decent living, the only person they need is themselves.
I see EMA as a form of bribary personaly and so do many people I know. Here have some money and stay in school even though you do not really want to but do not want to go and get a job so will take the money and carry on with school. Sorry that's my idea about it.

I do not understand why it is only for certain people. I mean people who get over £30,000 a year do not automatically have no money problems. They can still get in debt. They might not be able to give their child/ren money to go out and buy things that they need for school.

Also there are so many EMA people saying that it helped them so they could study more instead of going out and getting a job. Excuse me but those that do not get EMA most of the time have to go to school, do their study AND have a job aswell. It does not seem all that fair that just because they came from a low pay background that they should get more time to put towards their studies as those that can not get EMA can not cause they have to hold a job aswell.

EMA would be a good idea if it was for everyone but as it stands at the moment it does not really help.

Yes there are those who really need the money they get and I do know that. However I just see so many people that would not have stayed on at school and ONLY stay on because they can get money by staying on at school.
Reply 92
that doesnt at all defend "They should have thought about before leaving school with no qualifications.".......only a snob would say that and anybody else would realise it is never that black and white........and if nobody else in your class wants to learn and you cant afford to pay for private school then what do you do?
Reply 93
Doom_and_Gloom
Also there are so many EMA people saying that it helped them so they could study more instead of going out and getting a job. Excuse me but those that do not get EMA most of the time have to go to school, do their study AND have a job aswell. It does not seem all that fair that just because they came from a low pay background that they should get more time to put towards their studies as those that can not get EMA can not cause they have to hold a job aswell.

That is a perfect summary. I completely agree with you. :smile:
Reply 94
Well you guys want the view of the rich upper class snob, well here he is!

This EMA is a joke. The people who have it, while it may provide a nice boost, do not need it. Students have got by before and they could get by now. If you really want to learn you will, and encouraging more students to study in this way is a very bad idea, while many other jobs in the skills industry are shunned by the government, or at least are overshadowed, by the government drive for higher education. This is a further example of where this labour government is going. How long until they start paying people to not break the law?
Reply 95
jiggaman7
that doesnt at all defend "They should have thought about before leaving school with no qualifications.".......only a snob would say that and anybody else would realise it is never that black and white........and if nobody else in your class wants to learn and you cant afford to pay for private school then what do you do?

If you are really determined to learn despite your poor sorroundings? Teach yourself what the tutor is missing out. Alternatively, talk to the tutor about your determination for an A grade. Perhaps if they realised someone actually appreciated their teaching, they would make more of an effort. This is way off topic now.
Reply 96
Bottom line of this debate ~
Sami C
This is a further example of where this labour government is going. How long until they start paying people to not break the law?
Reply 97
Sami C
If you really want to learn you will, and encouraging more students to study in this way is a very bad idea, while many other jobs in the skills industry are shunned by the government, or at least are overshadowed, by the government drive for higher education.

Another good point. Who wil be "dustbin cleaners" or toilet cleaners in a few years time? Everyone is being persuaded to continue studying and aiming higher and higher.
Reply 98
seaspray
Another good point. Who wil be "dustbin cleaners" or toilet cleaners in a few years time? Everyone is being persuaded to continue studying and aiming higher and higher.

yeah thats the way forward....forget encouraging people to go to university, they should forget that and get a nice job picking up our rubbish :rolleyes:
Reply 99
Exactly. This false dream of everyone achieving success has got out of hand. The number of unemployed graduates, or those in jobs earning money they could have got without degrees is rising each year. How is this helping people? Congratulations, instead of going straight into a job, you can get a pointless degree and have a side order of debt to help start you up.

Latest