The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Electronic Engineering Reputation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Nitrogen
By any chance would you know about the chemical engineering dept at ucl?

I know a few people there. It is one of the better UCL Engineering departments; I don't know enough to talk specifics, but again it has all of the UCL perks. It also has lot of industry reps giving talks and explaining opportunites.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 41
Original post by FranticMind
I know a few people there. It is one of the better UCL Engineering departments; I don't know enough to talk specifics, but again it has all of the UCL perks. It also has lot of industry reps giving talks and explaining opportunites.

Thanks for the info! Do you think that there is an advantage of studying engineering at UCL as opposed to other unis? Is it true that the engineering industry like take people with Meng over people with Beng? Sorry for so many questions :tongue:
Reply 42
Original post by Nitrogen
Thanks for the info! Do you think that there is an advantage of studying engineering at UCL as opposed to other unis? Is it true that the engineering industry like take people with Meng over people with Beng? Sorry for so many questions :tongue:

Yes I believe the advantage comes through opportunity. We constantly have talks and trips to IBM, CISCO, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, GSK, Shell, BP, all of the (investment and retail) banks, insurance companies and city law firms, not to mention a whole host of companies from movie FX to app companies to engineering and energy companies (nuclear grads also). Proctor and Gamble, British Sugar, Thales, Astrium, PwC, Deloitte, Accenture.

Pretty much every big name is represented in every industry; we have so many chances to talk to and participate with them. Not to mention all the one off campus events; sometimes they just turn up and give away free breakfasts, or run competitions. This does happen at other top universities, but UCL is exceptionally well placed so sometimes their HQ is like a 20mins cycle away.

The MEng is a good choice if you are pursuing chartership; in order to get the CEng or chartered engineer status you need either an MEng or a BEng with a accredited masters. So just to be able to keep your options open it is a good choice. It is also an undergraduate masters, so for the price it is the highest undergraduate qualification you can obtain. A BEng + MSc is considered better on the international basis, but an MEng is equivalent to this in the UK; once you get chartership this no longer matters.

Hope that answers your question!
Reply 43
Yes I believe the advantage comes through opportunity. We constantly have talks and trips to IBM, CISCO, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, GSK, Shell, BP, all of the (investment and retail) banks, insurance companies and city law firms, not to mention a whole host of companies from movie FX to app companies to engineering and energy companies (nuclear grads also). Proctor and Gamble, British Sugar, Thales, Astrium, PwC, Deloitte, Accenture.

Pretty much every big name is represented in every industry; we have so many chances to talk to and participate with them. Not to mention all the one off campus events; sometimes they just turn up and give away free breakfasts, or run competitions. This does happen at other top universities, but UCL is exceptionally well placed so sometimes their HQ is like a 20mins cycle away.

The MEng is a good choice if you are pursuing chartership; in order to get the CEng or chartered engineer status you need either an MEng or a BEng with a accredited masters. So just to be able to keep your options open it is a good choice. It is also an undergraduate masters, so for the price it is the highest undergraduate qualification you can obtain. A BEng + MSc is considered better on the international basis, but an MEng is equivalent to this in the UK; once you get chartership this no longer matters.

Its a very a detailed answer thank you :biggrin:
Reply 44

Is this specifically for chemical engineering or all types of engineering in general?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by shayanc
Is this specifically for chemical engineering or all types of engineering in general?

Posted from TSR Mobile

All degrees to be honest. But engineering especially; the university seems to be a hub for employers. The only problem is there are so many you can spend hours (I have) just looking at a fraction of the stalls. UCL runs multiple career fairs with different themes; such as Engineering, Finance, Law, Investment Banking, IT and Technology.

Seems to be endless.
Reply 46
All degrees to be honest. But engineering especially; the university seems to be a hub for employers. The only problem is there are so many you can spend hours (I have) just looking at a fraction of the stalls. UCL runs multiple career fairs with different themes; such as Engineering, Finance, Law, Investment Banking, IT and Technology.

Seems to be endless.

Ahh that's good to hear I'm planning to start mechanical engineering at UCL from this October hopefully it's turns out to be good. The prospects for mechanical engineering looks good also!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by shayanc
Ahh that's good to hear I'm planning to start mechanical engineering at UCL from this October hopefully it's turns out to be good. The prospects for mechanical engineering looks good also!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good Luck!! I hope you enjoy it!
Reply 48
FranticMind, could please say something more about the UCL eee course? Im starting it this september. Having read syllabus I am a bit worried that there is not much programming and practical knowledge. Did you study computer architecture during classes? Do you enjoy the course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending