The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Rucklo
There's a difference between 1 person and many.

If there was 3 with knives and one went for me i would block it and run faster than Bolt. However if there was 1 i think ( I don't know because not been in the situation.) I would want to try put up a fight.

And yup if it didn't work it would be goodbye life. However i don't believe I should give these people the idea they can go around with a knife and everyone will back down.

Ok, well good luck with that. I hope you don't get stabbed :top:
Libtolu
yea but by having a weapon you are giving the criminals withut weapons a chance to gain weapons. and seriously knife or no knife unless you're trained you will still get owned by a 6'2 man mountain.

This is only true of the sort of weapons that British people are allowed to carry - generally ones that aren't incapacitating, are short ranged and require strength. Blunt objects for instance. Even knives to a large extent. This is the big advantage of a gun: it requires minimal training and physical strength. In a fist fight people who are physically strong and mentally imbalanced invariably have an enormous advantage. An old lady has pretty much zero chance of winning against a burly mugger or a drug addict in this country. But if she might be concealed carrying a gun, the chances are pretty much 50-50 even if the mugger also has a gun. This tends to make it a lot less worthwhile attacking people, and in, for instance, the US, violent crime does tend to decrease where gun laws are more liberal.
Reply 62
Rucklo
There's a difference between 1 person and many.

If there was 3 with knives and one went for me i would block it and run faster than Bolt. However if there was 1 i think ( I don't know because not been in the situation.) I would want to try put up a fight.

And yup if it didn't work it would be goodbye life. However i don't believe I should give these people the idea they can go around with a knife and everyone will back down.

LEts put it this way, many professional martial artists have stated in as many interviews that they would give up their possesions regardless of their training, these people train hours upon hours day in day out, you sir are ****** when you meet someone who can fight.

Ohh and knife disarms never work the way they're shown, best to control wrist or arm and use ur free limbs to hit to the nuts, disarms are too risky and even a successful one will likely leave you with some degree of injury.

Best not to provoke an attack imo.
Reply 63
Libtolu
Hey feel free to fight back it's your death sentence. idiot.

Most of the people who die from muggings resist.

If someone wants your wallet not your life give it to them, most muggers do not want to cause you harm they just want your possesions if your phone means that much to you then go for it but personally i would rather give up my wallet and phone than be stabbed to death, if they were going to hurt you they would stab you first and loot the corpse.

And if you have a knife up against you how do you intend to draw your knife and stab before he has sunk his knife in you up to the hilt?

No expert here but if his knife is already against you you have about a 5% chance of winning and in a knife fight no one leaves uninjured.

They want my possesions? Ok well i'm not going to hand over my hard earned things without a fight.

And awhh isn't that nice of them to not stab me but threaten me with one instead.

And how would i? Depends on the situation, what was around me, how many, the positon of the knife, how close i was. To what actions i would take.

And no a fight 1 on 1 against someone with no martial arts experience with a knife I proably have a 85% chance, might have some cuts on my arms from blocking but meh.
You have 2 options if you're going to legalise guns:

1: Legalise guns and any schmuck can carry a weapon.
2: Legalise guns and only allow use through tough tests > too expensive and laborious.

Allowing to carry knifes will make it much more easier for people to be threatened and bullied in the streets.

If you really want to feel protected, learn to kick like this girl
http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/1253147377/Russian_Blonde_Kicks_Fat_Chick_In_the_Face
Reply 65
FiveFiveSix
I don't need one. I've got a black belt in grammar, a 2nd Dan in spelling, and I train regularly at the vocabulary Dojo.

You need to learn how to take a post in context though :rolleyes: .
Reply 66
Libtolu
LEts put it this way, many professional martial artists have stated in as many interviews that they would give up their possesions regardless of their training, these people train hours upon hours day in day out, you sir are ****** when you meet someone who can fight.

Ohh and knife disarms never work the way they're shown, best to control wrist or arm and use ur free limbs to hit to the nuts, disarms are too risky and even a successful one will likely leave you with some degree of injury.

Best not to provoke an attack imo.

Yeah because while they are capable they don't want to take that small risk. I do, problem with that?

And yeah generally most leave you with cuts to your arms. There are plenty more tools you can use except for dis-arms but they are always in an option if situation is right.

And what you mean someone who can fight?
The best weapon are you hands feet and brain.
Reply 68
Collingwood
This is only true of the sort of weapons that British people are allowed to carry - generally ones that aren't incapacitating, are short ranged and require strength. Blunt objects for instance. Even knives to a large extent. This is the big advantage of a gun: it requires minimal training and physical strength. In a fist fight people who are physically strong and mentally imbalanced invariably have an enormous advantage. An old lady has pretty much zero chance of winning against a burly mugger or a drug addict in this country. But if she might be concealed carrying a gun, the chances are pretty much 50-50 even if the mugger also has a gun. This tends to make it a lot less worthwhile attacking people, and in, for instance, the US, violent crime does tend to decrease where gun laws are more liberal.

I disagree simply because i have read so many threads where americans some ex services have said that drawing and firing a gun at close range is much harder than using a knife.

You need to train constnatly to perfect reactive shooting senses, otherwise your accuracy is shot and a lot of people can't even draw it properly let alone hit an attacker, now at range a gun is definately useful because you have the time to draw and aim etc however if someone is withing grappling range it is surprising(even to me when i read into this) how much strength and concentration needed to fire off that gun.

And even if the lady could do that, would she have sense enough in her frantic state fo mind to be sure their are no other people around who she might inadvertently hit?

No if anything knives and blunt weapons should be the most allowed, the only people who should be allowed guns are ex forces/police or those that undergo vigorous tests and training to insure they can infact use it properly in any situation, this rules out most of the high risk people like old etc.
Rucklo
They want my possesions? Ok well i'm not going to hand over my hard earned things without a fight.

And awhh isn't that nice of them to not stab me but threaten me with one instead.

And how would i? Depends on the situation, what was around me, how many, the positon of the knife, how close i was. To what actions i would take.

And no a fight 1 on 1 against someone with no martial arts experience with a knife I proably have a 85% chance, might have some cuts on my arms from blocking but meh.

Ok, I really can't restrain myself any longer...

I'm sick and tired of martial arts knuckleheads thinking they're some kind of Jackie Chan ninja because they can connect with a few punches in a controlled, safe environment, against an opponent who is using the same fighting style, and obeying the same rules and regulations. In reality, you may have a slight advantage if your opponent is smaller, weaker or less experienced at fighting. Anyone bigger, stronger or with a weapon, or has got a few real fights under his belt, unless you're very lucky, is going to leave you bleeding on the floor.

You can talk about 'how many opponents... position of knife' etc all you want, but I can practically guarantee you that you'll be hard pushed to have such a condor moment in real life. When your blood is pumping, the adrenaline is going and there's actually someone trying to hurt you for real, it's very different than facing someone in your same weight class or approximate skill level.

85%? Where the hell did you pluck that from? Dreamer.
Charzhino
The best weapon are you hands feet and brain.

Says someone who's never picked up a firearm :p:
Reply 71
FiveFiveSix
Ok, I really can't restrain myself any longer...

I'm sick and tired of martial arts knuckleheads thinking they're some kind of Jackie Chan ninja because they can connect with a few punches in a controlled, safe environment, against an opponent who is using the same fighting style, and obeying the same rules and regulations. In reality, you may have a slight advantage if your opponent is smaller, weaker or less experienced at fighting. Anyone bigger, stronger or with a weapon, or has got a few real fights under his belt, unless you're very lucky, is going to leave you bleeding on the floor.

You can talk about 'how many opponents... position of knife' etc all you want, but I can practically guarantee you that you'll be hard pushed to have such a condor moment in real life. When your blood is pumping, the adrenaline is going and there's actually someone trying to hurt you for real, it's very different than facing someone in your same weight class or approximate skill level.

85%? Where the hell did you pluck that from? Dreamer.

Wheyyyy. Yeahhh that is why at 5ft 10 and about 12 stone I have been able to tackle people 6ft2-3 who i'm guessing weighted more. Ok thats your one theory flawed.

And i've been in the situation and I still analyzed it like your trained to do. How many am i facing, do they have weapons, where is my escape, is there objects around i can use. So again theory flawed.

And 85% is a guess from the experience I have, its an approximation, you know.
Reply 72
Rucklo
Yeah because while they are capable they don't want to take that small risk. I do, problem with that?

And yeah generally most leave you with cuts to your arms. There are plenty more tools you can use except for dis-arms but they are always in an option if situation is right.

And what you mean someone who can fight?

As in not these pussies that back down, i mean a mean **** who will actually stab you.

a big mean trained **** who doesn't give a **** and can take you.

Personally i think it is foolish if you take that risk and you obviously do not have a family otherwise you would be quicker to take care of yourself.

Young and reckless = death or serious injury unless you get real.
Libtolu

No if anything knives and blunt weapons should be the most allowed, the only people who should be allowed guns are ex forces/police or those that undergo vigorous tests and training to insure they can infact use it properly in any situation, this rules out most of the high risk people like old etc.

E.g. the people who would most benefit from having a firearm in the first place? :p:

At least ex-Forces/Police will have REAL LIFE (aimed at any Jackie Chan wannabes) and stress-tested experience in fighting, so they probably have less need for them.

In theory though, it's a good idea.
FiveFiveSix
Says someone who's never picked up a firearm :p:

Well maybe not a firearm, but as a Sikh I think I'am allowed to carry a certain sized knife around, but I'm not sure on the exact rule.
Reply 75
1) Legalising knives would make it much tougher on police investigations.
2) Go get a police issued taser if you're one of them helpless girly types.
3) If knives were legal then what's stopping criminals from upping their game to guns?
Rucklo
Wheyyyy. Yeahhh that is why at 5ft 10 and about 12 stone I have been able to tackle people 6ft2-3 who i'm guessing weighted more. Ok thats your one theory flawed.

And i've been in the situation and I still analyzed it like your trained to do. How many am i facing, do they have weapons, where is my escape, is there objects around i can use. So again theory flawed.

And 85% is a guess from the experience I have, its an approximation, you know.

Well, if we're making up arbitrary percentages, from my experience I'm 92.5% sure you're talking complete crap. So you've chinned a few blokes who were bigger than you. Hooray for you.
Libtolu
I disagree simply because i have read so many threads where americans some ex services have said that drawing and firing a gun at close range is much harder than using a knife.

You need to train constnatly to perfect reactive shooting senses, otherwise your accuracy is shot and a lot of people can't even draw it properly let alone hit an attacker, now at range a gun is definitely useful because you have the time to draw and aim etc however if someone is withing grappling range it is surprising(even to me when i read into this) how much strength and concentration needed to fire off that gun.

If someone jumps on you by surprise there isn't a lot you can do regardless of how you're armed, but training for a basic level of defensive shooting is not something that requires constant work from what I read from the US. A lot of it is a deterrent effect - it doesn't matter so much if everyone is terribly competent, so long as there's a good chance that they are, and you don't know, it makes it seem a lot less worthwhile attacking them for money or whathaveyou.

And even if the lady could do that, would she have sense enough in her frantic state fo mind to be sure their are no other people around who she might inadvertently hit?

This sort of thing sounds a lot more of a problem than it really is. It's not a trivial matter to hit something you're aiming at, let alone a random by-stander if you're not aiming at anything in particular, or at someone else.

I don't think it's terribly unreasonable for competence requirements to concealed carry (that's what they do in the US). But why would old people not be ex-forces or unable to train to use guns? As I said, it's really not the physical strength that it is important past a minimal, pretty low level, it is the mental conditioning and practice.
Reply 78
Bubbles*de*Milo
Well they'll have knives anyway cause theyre idiots. This way you get to be like bitch plz :hand:

I reckon crime will go down cause if everyone's got a knife, no one would attack you.

Or criminals who don't follow the law will carry guns.

And i would rather be unarmed vs an illegal knife.

Than with knife vs gun.

At least you have a chance against a knife if someone stands 10ft and blasts off a round you're ******.
Charzhino
Well maybe not a firearm, but as a Sikh I think I'am allowed to carry a certain sized knife around, but I'm not sure on the exact rule.

Ooh, that's true... Religious reasons is definitely entrenched in law. Go get yourself a BFOK, my man! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending