The Student Room Group

What masters can I take with a Bachelor of Arts?

Hello there, what I would like to know is what kind of masters could I take after I finish my current Media, Culture and Society BA, is there any place I could see like a list of courses I could choose? I was looking for something like Music Business for example but I'm afraid that with this BA I can only do sociology, criminology and that kind of stuff which I wouldn't like at all. Sorry about asking such a lame question but I really need an answer :frown:

Thanks in advance!
There are quite a few courses you can take with a Bachelor of Arts, some not necessarily requiring you to have a BA in that subject area.

So long as you have a 2:1 or higher, you'll be fine to study other areas.

Re:Music Business, I haven't seen many unis that offer this. Westminster does, though, and you can find its requirements here.
Reply 2
tigermoth99
There are quite a few courses you can take with a Bachelor of Arts, some not necessarily requiring you to have a BA in that subject area.

So long as you have a 2:1 or higher, you'll be fine to study other areas.

Re:Music Business, I haven't seen many unis that offer this. Westminster does, though, and you can find its requirements here.

Well to be honest I am not looking for a uni in the UK in particular, I'm actually very interested in spending my masters on Canada or the USA.

The problem is that all the university pages I went to all say something like: "Entry to the MA MBM programme is based on either a combination of formal qualifications and experience or significant indutry experience". What I would like to know is what formal qualifications are they exactly talking about, is it indifferent if my BA is in Media, Culture and Society or in anything else?

Thanks for the help my friend! :smile:
PauloG.
Well to be honest I am not looking for a uni in the UK in particular, I'm actually very interested in spending my masters on Canada or the USA.

The problem is that all the university pages I went to all say something like: "Entry to the MA MBM programme is based on either a combination of formal qualifications and experience or significant indutry experience". What I would like to know is what formal qualifications are they exactly talking about, is it indifferent if my BA is in Media, Culture and Society or in anything else?

Thanks for the help my friend! :smile:

Well yes. The next part of that page states;

"Applicants with formal qualifications should have a good first degree in any subject as well as a minimum of two year's experience in music or related industries."

You need some experience and a good first degree, that's all. I'm starting a Masters there, but in Audio Production, next week. The MBM itself looks very good.
Dunno, I always planned do do one from around part way through first year. But the basic answer to the OPs question is that most Masters tend not to stipulate specific degree requirements aside from what overall result you got. That's not to say the subjects won't influence the choice, but you could apply for most of the things you're thinking about.

Get some experience and see where you are in 2 years time :smile:
arkbar
Come back in 2 years, you've not even really started yet. What difference would it make if we either said 'nothing!' and then danced around you laughing or 'you can do aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanything you want'? You really shouldn't think about postgrad for another two years, in all statistical likelihood you won't do one.

I agree no point planning THAT far ahead. You never know what might happen......

(Post Grad is for Graduates lol)
Reply 6
Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it! I guess you are all right but I was just afraid that by picking this undergraduate course in the sociology department I would have to do a masters very close related to this course which apparently I don't. I'm starting to see that the best thing to do is to work after my undergraduate course and only when I already have some work experience I start thinking about the masters...but what can I do with my Media, Culture and Society BA? Time will tell I guess :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending