The Student Room Group

No Funding For Students.

Okay, so, I have been quite excited over the past two months about starting this college course, but today my excitement turned into anger and resentment. Although mostly anger.

I wasn't even told that the course had been axed! I had to go in and ask them why I have had no correspondence from them regarding the status of the course. So yesterday I went into the college and enquired. It had been axed.

When I asked why they told me that they couldn't get the numbers. I asked how many have so far applied to the course. They said 10 people. I asked how many was needed to get the course up and runing. They said 15 people!

I don't know about you but those 10 people are now without a course and possibly will have to wait till next year.

Between 10 and 15 there is only 5 people less, and they say they couldn't get the numbers?

I do not understand this. If they couldn't get the funding for 10 people, what difference would it make for 15? It's only 5 peoples less, and the 10 people interested in the course - soon to start - would have been a worthy reason to start the course.

What's wrong with this system? And who are the "Lord's that be"? The "Lord's that be" decide what course is worthy of running or not? Who the **** decided it wasn't worthy of the funding for the sake of just 5 people not making up the 15 needed to make the target?

Is it about targets? That Labour government brought in targets and look at the state of things now!

:mad:
D&D isn't the place for rants, and I think your issues is easier to solve using simple common sense rather than "No Funding For Students". I've moved this to GD :h:
Reply 2
Magnum Opus
D&D isn't the place for rants, and I think your issues is easier to solve using simple common sense rather than "No Funding For Students". I've moved this to GD :h:

How would common sense solve my issue?
this happened to me last year just pick another college or course they cant have a class that small even if its only 5 less it wouldnt be fundable seriously just get over it and move on
Reply 4
Its not cost efficent to have a teacher for 10 people when they could be teaching 15.

Them not tellling you is bad, dropping the course isnt.
Reply 5
Yeah, 5 people is quite a lot.

It's 1/3 of the desired class size, after all.
Martyn*
How would common sense solve my issue?

Hypothetically:
A lecturer is paid, say, ÂŁ30,000pa
Now if you look at your numbers, say each student paid ÂŁ3000pa tuition, so 10 students make up the cost to hire the lecturer. However, there are also costs to run the course, administration etc. etc. so overall the course would be running at a substantial loss which cannot be maintained by the university. Why run it then? There's no compulsion to, there's no requirement. The university doesn't have to run a course if it chooses not to.
Reply 7
they should have told you that it had been axed - but they can't run a course at 2/3 minimum capacity. it's not feasible
Reply 8
Magnum Opus
Hypothetically:
A lecturer is paid, say, ÂŁ30,000pa
Now if you look at your numbers, say each student paid ÂŁ3000pa tuition, so 10 students make up the cost to hire the lecturer. However, there are also costs to run the course, administration etc. etc. so overall the course would be running at a substantial loss which cannot be maintained by the university. Why run it then? There's no compulsion to, there's no requirement. The university doesn't have to run a course if it chooses not to.

Not exactly "common sense". Besides, the course only runs 1 day a week.
Reply 9
I guess five people is a lot when the class is already so small. If it had been five people off their 100 target, it may have been a different story. 15 may be their minimum, but perhaps they usually have say, 20-25. Guess they hope you'll all go back next year and join in with the 2010 applicants.

Must be really disappointing though :{

Latest

Trending

Trending