The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hi, i'm so nervous, I completed my application for midwifery in October but due to my referee being unwell my college didn't send the application of until jan 8th. I've been rejected from two choices already and have an interview on tha 16th at Brighton but still haven't heard anything from Plymouth or Birmingham, it's getting so stressful now. Plymouth and birmingham would be my two choices if I got in but at the moment it doesn't seem likely :frown:
Reply 81
chin up! you only need one place to accept you xx
Reply 82
I found out yesterday that I've been rejected for midwifery, child nursing and adult nursing by Nottingham, now I have no where to go in September :frown: Can't believe it took them 4 months from when I sent my application off just to tell me I havnt even got an interview. Find out 2 days before exam results day aswell! However I'm still determined to become a midwife, this isnt going to stop me. I will reapply next year and this time apply to Derby for nursing, as I will get a guaranteed interview as they do the progression scheme thing.
zoe1992
I found out yesterday that I've been rejected for midwifery, child nursing and adult nursing by Nottingham, now I have no where to go in September :frown: Can't believe it took them 4 months from when I sent my application off just to tell me I havnt even got an interview. Find out 2 days before exam results day aswell! However I'm still determined to become a midwife, this isnt going to stop me. I will reapply next year and this time apply to Derby for nursing, as I will get a guaranteed interview as they do the progression scheme thing.

I dont mean to sound mean, but I know that some unis are put off applicants who apply for more than one branch of nursing. I know a few people who have applied for Adult and Child branch at the same University and have been rejected, and when they asked for feedback they were told it was because they hadnt shown commitment to a particular branch of nursing. I even know one person who applied for all four branched of nursing (Adult, Child, mental Health and Learning Disability) and needless to say way rejected.
I applied for Midwifery and Adult Nursing at Northumbria and was rejected without interview for Midwifery, but got an offer for Nursing and I am more than happy to go for Nursing as I was always torn between that and midwifery.
Im really sorry to hear about your rejections. Chin up; theres always clearing in the summer. And if that isnt an option then use the next year to gain some experience in the healthcare profession and work out which field you really want to go into :smile:

Good Luck :biggrin:

xxx
Reply 84
Thanks for the feedback, I was worried that applying for child and adult nursing would let me down because it might seem that I'm unsure what I want to do. However, I had 2 choices left on my ucas application so I've reapplied to nottingham for adult nursing and midwifery for jan/march 2011 respectively and this time I've got my application in a lot earlier. If I get rejected again I'll probably have to apply for midwifery at 5 different uni's and tailor my personal statement to suit midwifery. I was thinking of applying to sheffield hallam but they say they like to see evidence of volunteer work in a healthcare setting, which is kind of difficult when you're spending all week at college studying for A-levels.
Reply 85
I'm going to wait and see if Nottingham will have me for 2011. If I get rejected again I should be able to change my personal statement in september and then just focus on midwifery rather than adapt the personal statement to both midwifery and nursing. I only applied to nottingham as I really wanted to stay at home but I'll probably have to accept that I need to apply to other universities. I want to apply to universities as close to nottingham as possible. I was thinking of Leicester de Montfort and birmingham city university but not many people on here seem to have applied to these. Does anyone know how good they are for midwifery/how easy it is to get an interview there etc?
Reply 86
go to www.studentmidwife.net
is has so much information and will answer all your questions x
Hey, i am in my first year studying Midwifery at Southampton. It is a fantastic university and thoroughly recommend considering it as a first choice. They were very quick to respond to me, so i guess it won't be long till you hear from them. Best of luck x
Looking at the date of your post, i am hoping you have already heard from them! x
Reply 89
its easy to get an interview at BCU but you do have to apply early to get an interview. good luck with what ever you decide.
Reply 90
Hey guys, I'm 19 and I've firmed my place at University of Leeds for Bsc Midwifery so Im definatley going woooooo well happy.

I actually havent had any formal experience although it may help your application, however I got my place without so I guess it just depends on which Uni you've applied to.

Hows everyones application going?
Reply 91
Hey =] Im 21 (22 in 2 weeks, woo!) and im in the first year studying Orthoptics at Liverpool. I previously did a Physiology degree here and graduated in summer 2009 with a 2:1.

I was wondering if any of you had any advice because, i feel like ive chosen then wrong thing. Orthoptics is interesting but it doesn't feel hands on enough for me and part of me really believes id be much happier in Midwifery. Im just not sure what to do! Im really considering applying for midwifery (2011 entry) but i dont know where to start with work experience and whether i would be ok applying just on the merits of my degree as my GCSE's and A levels are pretty mediocre due to a really long running illness throughout school and college years. Ive looked at Southampton, Plymouth, Bristol, Cardiff. Does anyone have any advice about which unis are the more highly competed for? I've noticed also, that some unis offer a BSc a Bmid or a BA... Im guessing unis offering a BA are not quite the same thing seeing as thats a bachelor or arts?!

Sorry for the super long post =/

Good luck to all those of you going this year! =]
Reply 92
Hello Kiyoko!

The most 'well respected' unis for midwifery are Kings College london, Southampton, Nottingham, and then probably Cardiff and Leeds. Generally, if they are a redbrick uni, offer a BSC they are 'higher'....while those offered at less good universities in the big league table, ones at ex-polys and B.A degrees are less so. B.MID degreeds are the other type offered and i get the feeling that these are inbetween BSC and BA. However, where ever you end up you do all get the same qualification...but, if you go to a well respected university you have more chance of getting a job you want and often are headhunted in year 2/3 to work at a hospital.

In general, London hospitals have the best teaching hospitals and the ones most commonly heard of eg St Guys and St thomas, kensington and chelsea, kings hospital etc

While the grades for midwifery are not that hard to get, getting accepted by the university is. Especially now with the credit crunch, people wanted vocational degrees and with programmes such as 'one born every minute', 2011 entry will be very competitive. For 2010 entry it was aroud 12-20 people applying PER PLACE. This i assume will increase for 2011!!!

You therefore need something to set you apart from the crowd. It is a vocational degree, you need to show that you are passionate about the job at the end of it. Good grades therefore show nothing....the amount of A*s you have does not convey that you have any of the skills needed to be a midwife or that you understand what the job entails. You need to research the job furthur, a good website for this is studentmidwife.net - its full of information.

I would deffo try and get work experience, it doesnt have to be in a maternity ward etc. It could be helping at an old peoples home to illustrate that you have empathy etc which is easy to get experience doing.

The selection day is also very tough. At kings i had to do a maths test, an english test, a group activity - (then the people who 'failed' any one of these three got sent home...those who passed made it through to the second round), this second round included talking to a pregnany woman for 5minutes and a 2 to one interview!

Message me with any more questions and best of luck! xxx
Reply 93
Hi, Thanks for replying, thats all really usefull info! I dont think im good enough to apply to any top unis tbh. I got B-C grades at GCSE and BCC at A level so they dont stand me very well. BUt my degree was a high 2:1 so im hoping that gets me further really.

I worked for a year and a half in an nursing home as an auxillary nurse during my college years so ive got that as experience if that counts. But I thought i'd need some experience with newborns or babies at least? But i've no idea how to go about that seeing as its so tough with vetting and CRB chcks these days. Some people mentioned antenatal classes as a good bit of W/E so i think im going to have a look into that also.

I think im just really torn at the moment, i dont want to quit this course because i dont really like to give up on things but if you really believe that your going to be unhappy in this career thats what you should do isnt it? its such a hard decision. Thank you for all your advice though, it was really helpful. Ive emailed round a couple of unis to get some information and hopefully i'll hear back from them pretty soon.

Thanks again =]
Reply 94
Hi all Ive firm my place at Leeds Uni for Midwifery after getting an unconditional offer :smile: so excited xx

Hope you all got the places u wanted x
Reply 95
Hey Kiyoko, the only experience i had with new born babies was at a gp surgery doing the 8week checkup (so not even that newborn!). It is hard to get work exp with babies and also, a lot of the job is dealing with pregnant women. A small part is dealing with babies, you hardly even get to see them at all. You mentioned before you were ill a lot during your exam years at school, so i think your grades would be fine. For kings i have to get BBC, but places such as nottingham and east anglia i know are BCC so your grades will be perfect. Are they in science subjects?

It is a hard decision, but as you said - if you wont be happy in it there isnt much point. I do believe midwifery is a really rewarding career.

You sound like your on the right track - best of luck :smile: xxxxxxx

Aylana - well done again! xxxxx
Reply 96
letia
Hey Kiyoko, the only experience i had with new born babies was at a gp surgery doing the 8week checkup (so not even that newborn!). It is hard to get work exp with babies and also, a lot of the job is dealing with pregnant women. A small part is dealing with babies, you hardly even get to see them at all. You mentioned before you were ill a lot during your exam years at school, so i think your grades would be fine. For kings i have to get BBC, but places such as nottingham and east anglia i know are BCC so your grades will be perfect. Are they in science subjects?

It is a hard decision, but as you said - if you wont be happy in it there isnt much point. I do believe midwifery is a really rewarding career.

You sound like your on the right track - best of luck :smile: xxxxxxx

Aylana - well done again! xxxxx

Hi Letia,

My A levels were B (psychology) C (biology) C (photography) and B (As chemistry) but my degree is Physiology which really couldn't get more sciency so i hope that makes up for the lack of science A levels.

I think im going to look in to W/E at antenatal classes and then maybe what you did with the 8 week clinic as well. I think i've made my mind up today that im going to complete the year and then suspend my studies for a year whilst i apply and work for the year, then hopefully i will get a place somewhere and i can cancel my place here on orthoptics.

Thanks for all the advice =] Good luck with your studies and such! x
Hey people..
New to this whole forum thingy so if im doing this wrong can someone please help me......
I applied for the midifery course for Stirling Uni for Sep this year, just had an offer via Ucas on Wednesday night..... Cant believe it as there was only something like 12 places :woo: lol

Any1 else got a place for sep? B great 2 know a few people b4 starting as il b coming from clydebank, so wont know any1 .....

xmissytaylorx
x x x x
Reply 98
hatz_9000
Heyya everyone :smile:

Im applying for midwifery this year as well (2010 entry), the majority of applicants who get in seem to be mature students with "life experience", have any of you managed to get any sort of work experience?

what area do you live in?
Reply 99
Yay, im going chester in sept :biggrin: cant wait xx

Latest