The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
bristol is about 4000 applicants to 200 places. Just as competitive as BSMS in my opinion.
RollerBall
I wondered if anyone else would pick up on that lol. Don't you study in Manchester? Forgive me if I got the wrong idea, not sure where I even got it from just thought you did.

It did seem rather a ridiculous response.

No I'm going to be studying at Oxford, so I'm probably not the best person to talk to you about PBL. :p:
figure-it-out
Thought about glasgow? not sure what it's like but my friend's there atm doing medicine and loving it! He got modest gcse results but straight A's at A levels and loads of work experience. his offer was only AAB too, without interview! worth a look? How about southampton? that's campus and is a gooden =]

I'm considering soton but I'm put off by the only PS and apparently random distribution of offers. I don't want to apply to Glasgow as I don't want to live so far up north, so Scottish unis are more or less out for me.
Phalanges
I am on your to rep list. :teeth:

Although apparently you repped me only three days ago (for this rather lengthy post). :p:

ohh that's what I repped you for! Yeah, that guy was annoying me and spouting all kinds of rubbish, so it was nice to see him actually shut up for once :p: and the next one is for calming my BMAT nerves :rolleyes:
Phalanges
It did seem rather a ridiculous response.

No I'm going to be studying at Oxford, so I'm probably not the best person to talk to you about PBL. :p:

Lol yeah, you're probably right on that. Congrats on getting into Oxford anyway mate.
RoadWarrior
ohh that's what I repped you for! Yeah, that guy was annoying me and spouting all kinds of rubbish, so it was nice to see him actually shut up for once :p: and the next one is for calming my BMAT nerves :rolleyes:

He never responded to my post. :sad: I've never argued with someone so convincingly before that they just left. :biggrin:

Ah right, I see. Well you might have trouble finding a post of mine in 25 days, I don't plan to be using this site still then. :p:

RollerBall
Lol yeah, you're probably right on that. Congrats on getting into Oxford anyway mate.

Thanks. :top2:

In order to keep this thread vaguely on track, here's Degausser to talk about BSMS:

Degausser
OHAI
You called?

Choose BSMS, you'll live by the seaside and be at the joint first medical school for Student satisfaction :cool:
Degausser
You called?

Choose BSMS, you'll live by the seaside and be at the joint first medical school for Student satisfaction :cool:

Since I was unable to go to the open day, what sort of things do they look for in their PS/Application process? Is there anything glaringly obviously about my application that might set me back there?

Otherwise I'm up to BSMS, Leeds and Leicester for choices.
Phalanges
He never responded to my post. :sad: I've never argued with someone so convincingly before that they just left. :biggrin:

Ah right, I see. Well you might have trouble finding a post of mine in 25 days, I don't plan to be using this site still then. :p:

haha congratulations :wink: You'll never be able to quit :colone: When does uni start for you?
RollerBall
Since I was unable to go to the open day, what sort of things do they look for in their PS/Application process? Is there anything glaringly obviously about my application that might set me back there?

Otherwise I'm up to BSMS, Leeds and Leicester for choices.

Personality, realistic attitudes, how you deal with stress, whether you have a lifelong ambition to learn etc.

Personality is a big one, so be sure your personal statement doesn't sound like a robot spouting out what you think they want to hear.
Degausser
You called?

Here is an example of a perfectly balanced answer :rolleyes:
Degausser
You called?

You should do adverts with a tagline like that. :p:

RoadWarrior
haha congratulations :wink: You'll never be able to quit :colone: When does uni start for you?

Well I imagine I'll be too busy at Uni to devote much time for the internet - dare say I'll be back on in December though when I get bored. I start on the 5th October. :biggrin:
RoadWarrior
Here is an example of a perfectly balanced answer :rolleyes:

Sorry, I forgot to add that the small year sizes make teaching more personal and thus better :biggrin:
Degausser
Sorry, I forgot to add that the small year sizes make teaching more personal and thus better :biggrin:

haha you've persuaded me! :woo: BSMS ftw :gah:
Phalanges
Well I imagine I'll be too busy at Uni to devote much time for the internet - dare say I'll be back on in December though when I get bored. I start on the 5th October. :biggrin:

Medicine at Oxford? pfffft you'll have plenty of free time :rolleyes: dam right you'll be back :yep: grrr all you freshers are making me very jealous :hmpf:
Degausser

Small hey?

I think Oxford has about 170 students in a year, around 5 per college and tutorials with on average 2 per tutor.

Your move. :h:
RoadWarrior
Medicine at Oxford? pfffft you'll have plenty of free time :rolleyes: dam right you'll be back :yep: grrr all you freshers are making me very jealous :hmpf:

My free time shall be spent with cider, sports and fancy dress. :ninja:

Ha, I know what it feels like. With a bit of luck you'll be excitedly getting ready to leave home in a year's time. :biggrin:
Phalanges
Small hey?

I think Oxford has about 170 students in a year, around 5 per college and tutorials with on average 2 per tutor.

Your move. :h:

138 students :proud:. I don't know how big tutorials are though.

Randdom
attention grab

Sorry :colondollar: How big are tutorials if you don't mind me asking? :p:
Degausser
138 students :proud:. I don't know how big tutorials are though.

Darn, that is small.
lostphotobooth
Bristol are GCSE whores from what I have heard so am not sure that is a wise choice? Though, someone else might be more useful with regards to Bristol as I don't know much about them :pinch:

Leeds and Leicester should be okay for you. Last year, a friend of mine got offers from both and her GCSEs weren't as good as yours, and neither were her AS Levels.

If your UKCAT goes well, maybe consider Newcastle? IIRC, their course has PBL as well as an integrated curriculum.

I don't think Bristol is GCSE whores

I have 4A* 3A 2B (and 3C's and short course rs A*)

know someone else on here with similar... act fewer A* etc.

Latest