The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Phalanges
Darn, that is small.

which college are you going to may I ask?
(Random I know:p:)
bob9001
which college are you going to may I ask?
(Random I know:p:)

I'd rather not say, if it's all the same to you (I like to have an air of mystery :p:).

It's not Wadham though. :biggrin:
Reply 42
RollerBall
Are there any students who would have a few spew minutes to chat about PBL and their experiences of it? I don't really want to make a thread about it and havn't managed to speak to anyone about it properly.

I'm on a PBL course so could answer some questions. Otherwise, use the search function as I remember several threads where people discussed their experiences of PBL (good and bad)
Phalanges
I'd rather not say, if it's all the same to you (I like to have an air of mystery :p:).

It's not Wadham though. :biggrin:

aha no worries :biggrin: :p:
I'm reapplying for 2010 Medicine as I got four rejections the last time.
However, my A-levels aren't great ABBC (math, chem, phy, bio) where B is in Chemistry. I missed my Chemistry exam this summer cos I was sick, so AQA 'gave' me that grade (but I was predicted an A initially).

I'm going to take those missed exams in January, but I was thinking of retaking few modules in other subjects e.g. a module in biology, in which I got U (but my overall biology grade is C -- I'm hoping to grade it up to a B)
I'm probably classified as re-taker with extenuatin circ. but will taking those other modules affect the way unis look at my application?

I've got pretty good work experience inc. voluntary work abroad at a hospital for 3 months. I just feel like all hope is lost for me getting into Medicine so I wanted to know what you would do in my shoes.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 45
Find out which medical schools accept candidates for resits with extenuating circumstances and check that yours would count. Gather your evidence after you've chosed where to apply and submit it as soon as possible.
You need to do some quick research on what uni will accept your mitigating circumstance and if possible give the appropriate uni a ring to check all is ok before you apply.

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=78

also what about a foundation year

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=79
Reply 47
My GCSEs are SHOCKING if you look at the average for Oxbridge and I personally feel certain it is a waste applying there. However, some people have said that it could still be worth applying. ASs were 4As (But one was PE which they don't like) and predictions are 3A*s. GCSEs were: 1.5A*s, 5As, 6Bs, 1C. I just want to know if I absolutely trump A levels if they will look at the GCSEs as much. I'd just like it cleared up, I think it's entirely ridiculous but I'd like it to be set straight, thanks
Reply 48
OK I AM CLUELESS AS TO WHICH UNIVERSITY I SHOULD APPLY.

UKCAT: 640
GCSE: 1A*6A4B
AS LEVEL: AABB (Predicted A*AA)
In my opinion a very good PS.

I hear that Kings will 'rape' my GCSE's. And barts will do the same thing but with my UKCAT.

Where would I have a better chance of getting in? I'm scared of the barts ukcat cut off and kings with gcse's+being over subscribed.

I think I have good work exp. and my ps is pretty goood.

HELP PLEASEEE :confused:
I did my UKCAT today and didn't do as well as I'd hoped (582.5 Average)

GCSEs : 8A*s, 1A, and an "OCR Level 2 National Diploma in ICT (Distinction)" :rolleyes:

AS: AAAAB (Chem, Bio, Phys, Gen Stud & Maths respectively).

A2: A*AA (predicted: Chem/Bio/Phys).

I have done some research into what I could do, but I was looking for some general advice as to where it would be best to apply based on past entrants and stuff.

Thanks in advance guys.
no harm in trying in my opinion, 5 choices is plenty and the other 4 are enough even if you are unsuccessful. Better than wondering what if
well no. she only has 4 choices.... and medicine is so over competitive, you shouldn't waste a choice if you aren't too sure :no:
oh and, I have recently got a job as a HCA after 1 year volunteering in A&E, shadowed Vascular Surgeon, 3 GPs .... so ok on that front.
Reply 53
Birmingham, Bristol, + 2 BMAT unis (ie Ox/Cam/ICL/UCL)

would be fairly safe in my opinion.

Don't worry about the UKCAT, you're grades are great just make sure you have some Work exp. and good extra curriculars.
Reply 54
I'd just like to know either way. I would love to study there and, bizarrely, I believe Oxbridge is one of the least subscribed to but obviously, one of the most stringent.
Reply 55
You've got a chance.
sorry but I just don't think that your GCSEs re good enough, especially for such a competitive course
Oxbridge will be hideously competitive, as I'm sure you know. But hey, everyone's got a chance, so if you really want to go, you might as well apply, as long as you are OK with your other 3 choices.
it doesn't look good when you can't spell the place you want to apply to :no:

but yes I'd say give it a go anyway :yep:
Reply 59
helpp appreciated...i want to apply next week

Latest

Trending

Trending