The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Unless you're outstanding in some other way, I don't think it's worth it. I read that the average Cambridge applicant has 9A*s and 96% average UMS at AS level.
Reply 61
Nobody in my college apparently got fewer than 9A* BUT if you have excellent module scores and get a good BMAT result, you're in with a good chance.
Reply 62
Personally, with your 4 choices being so precious, I think it would be silly wasting one on Oxbridge whith them GCSE's

Thats my opinion, but if you want to give it a shot, then apply
Benners
Birmingham, Bristol, + 2 BMAT unis (ie Ox/Cam/ICL/UCL)

would be fairly safe in my opinion.

Don't worry about the UKCAT, you're grades are great just make sure you have some Work exp. and good extra curriculars.

You forgot Liverpool.
RoadWarrior
Unless you're outstanding in some other way, I don't think it's worth it. I read that the average Cambridge applicant has 9A*s and 96% average UMS at AS level.

Was that from the thread last night, which you replied to saying as a joke you would be above average? Cos the person who wrote that post said those were the results for the average successful applicant at caius, not the average applicant at cambridge. :wink:
if you want to study there. apply. You have 3 other choices - all medicine is competitive you'll alwasy wonder if you don't' apply.
Jonty99
Was that from the thread last night, which you replied to saying as a joke you would be above average? Cos the person who wrote that post said those were the results for the average successful applicant at caius, not the average applicant at cambridge. :wink:

Ohh I presumed Caius' average would be the same as Cambridge's :o: Sorry I should've clarified about the "successful applicant" bit...and I wasn't joking lol :p:
RoadWarrior
Ohh I presumed Caius' average would be the same as Cambridge's :o: and I wasn't joking lol :p:

By "as a joke" I meant, presumably, you weren't trying to sound arrogant by saying you'd be better than most successful applicants. Caius' average would probably be a bit higher than the rest of Cambridge, and also, the vital thing was SUCCESSFUL applicants, not just applicants. That would make a huge difference.
Jonty99
By "as a joke" I meant, presumably, you weren't trying to sound arrogant by saying you'd be better than most successful applicants. Caius' average would probably be a bit higher than the rest of Cambridge, and also, the vital thing was SUCCESSFUL applicants, not just applicants. That would make a huge difference.

haha no way would I be better than them :p: ahh I understand - edited it :smile:
Reply 69
Woody.
I would love to study there and, bizarrely, I believe Oxbridge is one of the least subscribed to but obviously, one of the most stringent.

The reason they're less oversubscribed is because of the pre-selection that occurs: most Oxbridge applicants consider themselves to be very strong candidates and they mostly are. Even though they get fewer applicants per place, they're still the most competitive medical schools to get into.
Reply 70
Wow, I'm quite surprised by all the responses, thanks for them all.

So it appears it wouldn't be an entire flop, but I'm wondering whether I should apply to somewhere 'safer' but as you say, there is always the 'what if' factor. Any more input would be greatly appreciated
I heard that Oxford de-select applicants for interview based on the BMAT score and percentage of A*s at GCSE, but I know very little about medicine applicantions so I wouldn't take my word for it :dontknow:
Woody.
Wow, I'm quite surprised by all the responses, thanks for them all.

So it appears it wouldn't be an entire flop, but I'm wondering whether I should apply to somewhere 'safer' but as you say, there is always the 'what if' factor. Any more input would be greatly appreciated

To be honest, your success would be largely determined by your BMAT scores and interview, which nobody here can judge. I would say your current grades are below average, but you would still have a chance. Just my opinion.

EDIT: also, if you decide to apply to Oxbridge, I would STRONGLY advise Cambridge over Oxford, since to get an interview at Oxford, you would have to do insanely well in the BMAT. (Since they use percentage gcse A*s, and BMAT scores to select applicants for interview. only 40% get an interview)
Reply 73
Depends ENTIRELY on your BMAT, basically. With your GCSEs, you'd have to get a very very good BMAT score (I don't know how this works so can't quantify it I'm afraid). If you apply to Cambridge then your UMS scores will be taken into account as well on the SAQ.

If your BMAT score is high enough, you'll get an interview and then it's down to that. Obviously personal statement and reference come into it as well a little bit, but they're very much less significant.
Reply 74
Off topic: I'm wondering how people are scoring 96% on tests as an average? Could anyone link me to what these tests are like? o__o (Preferably in chemistry as that's my favourite subject.)

Thanks D:
Sunny1171
OK I AM CLUELESS AS TO WHICH UNIVERSITY I SHOULD APPLY.

UKCAT: 640
GCSE: 1A*6A4B
AS LEVEL: AAB (Predicted A*AA)
In my opinion a very good PS.

I hear that Kings will 'rape' my GCSE's. And barts will do the same thing but with my UKCAT.

Where would I have a better chance of getting in? I'm scared of the barts ukcat cut off and kings with gcse's+being over subscribed.

I think I have good work exp. and my ps is pretty goood.

HELP PLEASEEE :confused:

Hi
thanks for posting ur results.You got good As Levels and not bad GCSESs.Have u checked on both university websites what they looking for in a potential medical applicant? and UKAT i take it is the medical school admissions test? i take it testing u on verbal reasoning and other things.if u done some relevant work experience and have a exceptional personal statement you need to look at the medicial schools where u have a good chance of being shortlisted.But u mentioning these two particular medicals schools are ur fav ones to apply?
let me know
Thank you!
phen
Off topic: I'm wondering how people are scoring 96% on tests as an average? Could anyone link me to what these tests are like? o__o (Preferably in chemistry as that's my favourite subject.)

Thanks D:

You don't actually need to get 96% of questions right to score 96%. Raw marks are converted to a uniform mark scale, which often ends up sort of "adding marks on".
RoadWarrior
You forgot Liverpool.
and Lancaster (which is essentially a franchised course).
phen

Thanks D:

Its 96% UMS - for example, in Chemistry, you could get 71/80 and get 100% UMS.

Latest

Trending

Trending