The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You should probably pick a university based on things rather than ease of entry.

I'm a prospective children's nursing student too and have chosen universities I'd genuinely like to study at. I'll be disappointed but not surprised if I get no offers due to the competitiveness of the course but I'll be happier knowing that I chosen universities I wanted to go to.

Think about other factors affecting your choice of university too otherwise you might be unhappy when you get there :smile:

Good luck though - do you have anywhere in mind?
Reply 2
discombobulation

I'm a prospective children's nursing student too and have chosen universities I'd genuinely like to study at. I'll be disappointed but not surprised if I get no offers due to the competitiveness of the course but I'll be happier knowing that I chosen universities I wanted to go to.

eek I'm sorry to crash in but doesn't the prospect of not getting any offers terrify you? I'm just about to apply for child too and I'm getting all wobbly last minute about chosing this branch because I can't face another year of not starting training if I don't get it. Do we have any other options if we get no offers other than to take the feedback and try again another year? xx
Tilie
eek I'm sorry to crash in but doesn't the prospect of not getting any offers terrify you? I'm just about to apply for child too and I'm getting all wobbly last minute about chosing this branch because I can't face another year of not starting training if I don't get it. Do we have any other options if we get no offers other than to take the feedback and try again another year? xx

Well, I'm not too optimistic mainly because I don't have bags of experience / am coming in from a pretty weird angle (I'll have my first bachelor's). I also have no science or 'ology' A Levels so this may also put people off!
My plan if I get 5 rejections is to go through Extra for Adult or MH and possibly do further training later on to convert to paediatrics!

If you're set on Children's I guess if you miss all your offers you can reapply to different universities if there's spaces in Extra or you can reapply for January 2011 entry which isn't too much of a wait or yes, wait another year!

It depends really - are you applying straight out of college/school? Do you have experience - what sort? Where do you want to apply? What qualifications do you have :smile:?
Reply 4
discombobulation

It depends really - are you applying straight out of college/school? Do you have experience - what sort? Where do you want to apply? What qualifications do you have :smile:?

No not particularly, I'm 21 and on an access to HE course at the min which ends in Feb plus retaking maths GCSE in the evening. The only other qualifications I have is English GCSE. I left school when I was 14 due to bad health which doesn't look so good. I don't have particularly solid experience, a total of 9 months with kids and that was abroad so that doesn't make me very optimistic either.

I want to apply to Nottingham, Glasgow Caledonian, Napier, East Anglia and UWE Bristol :smile:
:o:
Tilie
No not particularly, I'm 21 and on an access to HE course at the min which ends in Feb plus retaking maths GCSE in the evening. The only other qualifications I have is English GCSE. I left school when I was 14 due to bad health which doesn't look so good. I don't have particularly solid experience, a total of 9 months with kids and that was abroad so that doesn't make me very optimistic either.

I want to apply to Nottingham, Glasgow Caledonian, Napier, East Anglia and UWE Bristol :smile:

Abroad is probably still great - any experience with kids will valued. Do you have any healthcare/social care experience? I have very little and have applied to all my local hospitals for voluntary placements - try doing this?
Have you prepared your UCAS form etc? I'm hopefully going to get mine in by October.
Where do you live? I really want to go to Glasgow Caledonian but I don't think I'll be able to move up there
Reply 6
How do we know you're not just a peado OP??
Reply 7
discombobulation
:o:

Abroad is probably still great - any experience with kids will valued. Do you have any healthcare/social care experience? I have very little and have applied to all my local hospitals for voluntary placements - try doing this?
Have you prepared your UCAS form etc? I'm hopefully going to get mine in by October.
Where do you live? I really want to go to Glasgow Caledonian but I don't think I'll be able to move up there

I've got a weeks nursing home experience but that was three years ago. I've applied for voluntary placements too. Yeah it is ready now but just trying to make a final decision on the branch before I ask college to send it.
I live in Lincolnshire, East Midlands. Nowhere near Scotland lol. I did wonder if I was wasting two choices by picking uni's so far away...especially since there is interviews and everything to consider but I'm trying to think where I would like to be long-term. My other choices are on my doorstep almost though so it would be nice if I had the option of chosing to go or stay!
Tilie
I've got a weeks nursing home experience but that was three years ago. I've applied for voluntary placements too. Yeah it is ready now but just trying to make a final decision on the branch before I ask college to send it.
I live in Lincolnshire, East Midlands. Nowhere near Scotland lol. I did wonder if I was wasting two choices by picking uni's so far away...especially since there is interviews and everything to consider but I'm trying to think where I would like to be long-term. My other choices are on my doorstep almost though so it would be nice if I had the option of chosing to go or stay!

I've written on my statement that I've applied for voluntary things so I'm hoping this'll help towards getting in! I'm sure you'll be fine though, with all your bits and pieces coming together!
Haha wow, that'll be a huge trek! My favourites are Keele and Glasgow Caley but we'll have to see!
Have a look round the cities if you get a chance - can maybe make your decision on that basis. Nottingham's dept is meant to be great :smile:
Reply 9
I'm applying for places closer to home which I think will let me down in the long run. I'm scared of being rejected, so far i've applied for Salford, Huddersfield, Sheffield Halam, York and Bradford anyone applied there?
Kitty_x
I'm applying for places closer to home which I think will let me down in the long run. I'm scared of being rejected, so far i've applied for Salford, Huddersfield, Sheffield Halam, York and Bradford anyone applied there?

I've applied to Sheffield Hallam and Salford too, for the same reason that I want to stay quite close to the region I'm in now (removals are gonna be so expensive for my whole house of stuff!)
discombobulation
I've written on my statement that I've applied for voluntary things so I'm hoping this'll help towards getting in! I'm sure you'll be fine though, with all your bits and pieces coming together!
Haha wow, that'll be a huge trek! My favourites are Keele and Glasgow Caley but we'll have to see!
Have a look round the cities if you get a chance - can maybe make your decision on that basis. Nottingham's dept is meant to be great :smile:

Sorry to butt in and maybe sound biased!!
But yeah Nottingham is great everything so well organised and the staff are sooo helpful - you can ask them anything and you always get an answer.
Also, the campus is awesome =)

Thats my little publicity thing over with =)
Good luck with wherever you choose to go.
Reply 12
discombobulation

So will you! Atleast your doing things to try and get the experience, if you can get through to an interview you can just take that opportunity to rock their socks off! Did you say you already have a degree? thats proof of study ability and commitment straight away.

Yeah I really want to get a chance to look around. I've seen Nottingham but I can't afford the others at the min. Good luck I hope you are successful!
Tilie
So will you! Atleast your doing things to try and get the experience, if you can get through to an interview you can just take that opportunity to rock their socks off! Did you say you already have a degree? thats proof of study ability and commitment straight away.

Yeah I really want to get a chance to look around. I've seen Nottingham but I can't afford the others at the min. Good luck I hope you are successful!

Haha thanks, I'm hoping to get to interview and completely show off haha! I've had so many job interviews I should be able to do OK in one of these!
Yeah well, I'm in my final year of a BA (Hons) English Literature at the moment - so will have a degree *I hope* by June!

I just can't wait to get my app off!! :smile:
Reply 14
discombobulation
I've applied to Sheffield Hallam and Salford too, for the same reason that I want to stay quite close to the region I'm in now (removals are gonna be so expensive for my whole house of stuff!)

Have you sent off your personal statement and everything yet?
I really hope I get into Salford it's the one I want to go to the most. Good luck :smile:
Kitty_x
Have you sent off your personal statement and everything yet?
I really hope I get into Salford it's the one I want to go to the most. Good luck :smile:

I haven't but only because my referee said he'll have my reference to me by mid-October - another reason for my pessimism!

Why are you so into Salford? It's definitely up there as one of my favourites :smile:
Reply 16
discombobulation
I haven't but only because my referee said he'll have my reference to me by mid-October - another reason for my pessimism!

Why are you so into Salford? It's definitely up there as one of my favourites :smile:

Because it's so close to me and the placements are hospitals right on my door step, Rochdale,Oldham,Bury etc :smile:
Kitty_x
Because it's so close to me and the placements are hospitals right on my door step, Rochdale,Oldham,Bury etc :smile:

Nice, I've just been into Chester today and enjoyed it so much I'm swapping it for UCLAN on my form - Preston's too expensive to live in!
discombobulation
Nice, I've just been into Chester today and enjoyed it so much I'm swapping it for UCLAN on my form - Preston's too expensive to live in!

It must have changed somewhat since i went to UCLAN many years ago discombobulation.I never found Preston to be expensive but then again it was many years ago.I still think UCLAN is a good university to go to.:yep:
Reply 19
discombobulation

Yeyy Chester :smile:
That's where i'm going. It is a lovely place! but it can also be expensive to live there too.