Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University..Colleges?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by .Theory
Which colleges would be convenient for an engineer?

They would all be equally convenient, unless your maximum walking time get to places is more than about 15 minutes.

Also, do any colleges have special facilities for athletics? Which one is nearest to an athletics track? Is there much of a sprinting scene at Durham?

This one I don't know about, though I think Maiden Castle is the only place with any real athletics facilities (that's the uni sports centre for all students).

Also, how is the social life? I heard it can be pretty boring... How much does it cost to get to Newcastle? Is it feasible having a night out there?

Some people sometimes go to Newcastle for a night out and manage fine. Some people think Durham has a good enough night life on its own (just not with all the big clubs of a big city). Some people think it's not got nearly enough for them.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hi, I'll apply for sports at Durham, but I don't know which college I want to go to. I like sports, beer, quiz, music etc. - which college should I apply for? Maybe St. Cuths?
Reply 122
Original post by Martin the Viking
Hi, I'll apply for sports at Durham, but I don't know which college I want to go to. I like sports, beer, quiz, music etc. - which college should I apply for? Maybe St. Cuths?

Have you tried, say, reading about them on the university website to find ones you particularly like the sound of?

All the colleges have sports, beer, quiz (or access to quizzes) and music. Some do more than others.
Original post by Martin the Viking

Haha you're definitely Cuth's.
If you want modern, cushty accommodation then Josephine Butler.

Otherwise the heavily over-subscribed University College.
Hi-

I just got an offer and don't really feel like cluttering up the board with my own thread, so I thought I might just post in this one. I don't know much about a collegiate system, but it does sound enjoyable. However, without a Sorting Hat, picking a college is going to be difficult on me. So I'm going to write a little paragraph about me and if you could help point me in the right direction, it would be great. I'm thinking of the Baileys right now~

I was accepted into a postgraduate masters program for paleopathology, which is in the archaeology department. I'm an international student (USA.) I'm not into the whole sport or drinking scene, but also wouldn't mind a bit of a social scene, since I won't know anyone. Also, I loooove old building and architecture and things steeped in tradition. It might just be the archaeologist in me, but stilllll ahhhhh-mayyyy-zziiiing. I don't really mind sharing/not-sharing, size, or catered/not-catered; either one is fine with me! I anticipate spending a lot of time on coursework as well, so something low-key is great.

From what I've read, Hatfield or Castle looks like something I should apply to, but I'm also not sure how posh I am :wink: Any help you can give me would be awesome!

tl;dr-- I don't know which college to apply for. ; ;
Reply 126
Original post by foxonstilts

Original post by foxonstilts
Hi-

I just got an offer and don't really feel like cluttering up the board with my own thread, so I thought I might just post in this one. I don't know much about a collegiate system, but it does sound enjoyable. However, without a Sorting Hat, picking a college is going to be difficult on me. So I'm going to write a little paragraph about me and if you could help point me in the right direction, it would be great. I'm thinking of the Baileys right now~

I was accepted into a postgraduate masters program for paleopathology, which is in the archaeology department. I'm an international student (USA.) I'm not into the whole sport or drinking scene, but also wouldn't mind a bit of a social scene, since I won't know anyone. Also, I loooove old building and architecture and things steeped in tradition. It might just be the archaeologist in me, but stilllll ahhhhh-mayyyy-zziiiing. I don't really mind sharing/not-sharing, size, or catered/not-catered; either one is fine with me! I anticipate spending a lot of time on coursework as well, so something low-key is great.

From what I've read, Hatfield or Castle looks like something I should apply to, but I'm also not sure how posh I am :wink: Any help you can give me would be awesome!

tl;dr-- I don't know which college to apply for. ; ;

It depends partly on whether you're planning to live in or out. Most postgrad students live in rented accommodation, and therefore really can just chose whatever college they want (more or less). If you're planning to live in college accommodation, however, I'd suggest looking at the postgrad accommodation they offer to help you make your choice.

Enjoy the course! The archaeology dept is lovely.

Quick Reply

Latest