The Student Room Group

Cheap bikes from Argos

I need a cheap bike.
Nothing special really, just something to get from point A to point B :awesome:

Argos has some nice offers but I am not an expert so I would like to get your opinion about those bikes:

Challenge 26in Blizzard Comfort Mens Bike for £74.99

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3321401/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CSports+and+leisure%7C14419152/c_2/2%7Ccat_14419152%7CBikes%2C+cycling+and+accessories%7C14419153.htm

Challenge Atlantic 26in Mens Rigid Bike for £67.99

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3321195/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CSports+and+leisure%7C14419152/c_2/2%7Ccat_14419152%7CBikes%2C+cycling+and+accessories%7C14419153.htm?Price+Cut=1

Also do I need any special pump for them?

Thanks
Reply 1
Bump :awesome:
Reply 2
My honest opinion - Don't get one.

If you have to go for the cheapest.
Terrible bikes, but really, what do you expect for £100 or less?
They seem rather dangerous. Don't go over 10mph or it may fall apart.
Reply 5
jsoh?

Like I said I don't need anything special =)
Just something to use to get to my uni building.
Reply 6
Argos? :u
jsoh?

Pretty much, with cheap bikes you don't find much difference in terms of quality until you reach about the £200 mark.
Maybe you should try a second hand shop. From what I know, they usually try to bring the bike back up to scratch, and the bikes tend to be of a higher standard to start with.
Reply 8
ocelotrevs
Pretty much, with cheap bikes you don't find much difference in terms of quality until you reach about the £200 mark.
Maybe you should try a second hand shop. From what I know, they usually try to bring the bike back up to scratch, and the bikes tend to be of a higher standard to start with.

I don't know much about bikes and I wouldn't be able to judge which used bike is good and which isn't.
Get a used road bike, or even better, if you want to be really ******* cool, a fixie.

If you can see it's over ten years old, you know it's going to survive another ten.
Cheap bikes have a high infant mortality rate.
Reply 10
Go for the second one. Seems slightly better.

As others have pointed out you could get a second hand bike of better quality for about £100 but if you don't know how to inspect a bike properly don't do it alone. Perhaps have a friend with some cycling knowledge come with you.
Reply 11
theBOON
Go for the second one. Seems slightly better.

As others have pointed out you could get a second hand bike of better quality for about £100 but if you don't know how to inspect a bike properly don't do it alone. Perhaps have a friend with some cycling knowledge come with you.

The first one seems slightly better equipped.

Why would you say that the second one is better?
They're both crap, but they cheaper one seems marginally more sturdy.
you'd do better buying a nicer bike 2nd hand
Reply 14
dmae
The first one seems slightly better equipped.

Why would you say that the second one is better?

The first one is better equipped (especially the splash guard for rainy days) but in general I liked the second one better cause it seemed lighter. The splash guards are useful but the other stuff is just more weight!

Also haven't you considered going for a second hand bike. I mean, there's not much to inspect after all. Check the wheels to be aligned, the rim for and deformations, the brakes to be adjusted, the brake pads to be new, the frame to be solid and the welding/brazing joints, check the steering to be aligned and don't buy a heavy bike. The lighter the better. Also check the gear shifting to work. It's better to take it for a ride before buying.
Reply 15
theBOON
The first one is better equipped (especially the splash guard for rainy days) but in general I liked the second one better cause it seemed lighter. The splash guards are useful but the other stuff is just more weight!

Also haven't you considered going for a second hand bike. I mean, there's not much to inspect after all. Check the wheels to be aligned, the rim for and deformations, the brakes to be adjusted, the brake pads to be new, the frame to be solid and the welding/brazing joints, check the steering to be aligned and don't buy a heavy bike. The lighter the better. Also check the gear shifting to work. It's better to take it for a ride before buying.

I don't really know any second hand shops around and I don't have any bike-experienced mates. I know that Argos bikes are **** but I don't really care since I will just drive it to uni and back :smile:
I will buy the second one. Thanks for help.

Latest