The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
vavavoom
Could anyone tell me the pros and cons of Nottingham? I hear all these good things about it, but to make my final judge as to where i'm going to go I need to know the negative points as well...these are the things I know:

Pros

Beautiful Campus
Great education
Fun social life

Cons

Queues

Thanx!

There seem to be many people applying to it this year, so it will be difficult to get in... Having said that, it's the same because there are so many applicants this year...
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hehe, I got in! I was so happy. Now I just want to know the pros and cons.
Reply 3
Cool cool! Could anyone tell me more about the city or the campus?
Reply 4
vavavoom
Could anyone tell me the pros and cons of Nottingham? I hear all these good things about it, but to make my final judgement as to where i'm going to go I need to know the negative points as well...these are the things I know:

Pros

Beautiful Campus
Great education
Fun social life

Cons

Queues

Thanx!

hi,just want to ask you which other uni you have applied?for which course?
in my view,i had a day in Nottingham to have the interview for my course,the campus is big,but not a lot of things going on in the centre,generally speaking,it is quite good to live in Nottingham,but it is not cheap to live there.....
buy the way,are you going to put Nottingham 4 your firm choice?
Reply 5
I can't think of much you can't do in Nottingham.........possibly skiing but other than that it really does have everything. I've just started and I totally love it. Everyday I walk into campus and am taken back by how stunning it is. The view actually cheers me up most days. Annoying thing is the hills. Campus is a bit too hilly for my liking and the geese near the lake are really irritating. But those are pretty insignificant things. People are pretty friendly though there are quite a few rich gits. Most of them are really nice but sometimes i can barely stop myself laughing when talking to people about their ponies or school trips to Nepal. The cities got really good public transport and the shopping is fantastic...which is a bad thing if u like shopping and have no self control like myself. Nightlife is great. There's so many places that i probably won't get round to them by the time I leave. There does seem to a bit of a problem with crime but if you're sensible and don't wonder around at night on your own and never go to Hyson Green or Radford if you can avoid it . Its the same everywhere really. I reckon Nottingham's pretty cheap, well reasonable anyway. I live in a nice house right next to campus and the rents just under £50 including water which isn't bad. Drink's totally reasonable most places, just don't go to Hockley, unless you like paying a £5 for vodka lime and lemonade. Can't really think of much else. Oh wait, word of warning. If you don't make Nott your firm choice and you get in as your insurance odds are you won't get housing and you'll have to go private. The accommodation office there is a bit crap but i'm not better. Even if you do make it your firm you might not end up where you wanna live. Halls are completely oversubscribed and lots of people end up living in Raleigh and St. Peters court which are a bit of a walk away. Send your accommodation form off very very quickly.
Reply 6
You can even ski - my friend ski's (although admittedly in Derby) approx 20 mins away :smile:
Reply 7
Accommo isn't cheap - admittedly cheaper than London, but average weekly rent off campus is probably £65ish this year. I pay £266 a month.

Raleigh Park is only 20 mins walk from the medschool. Probably about 35 from the centre of campus
Reply 8
zero101
i used 2 say nottingham was the best uni...well the city is gd ne way
but i got rejected
so nottingham can F*** off

Sorry to hear that. I used to say that UCL was the best, till I got rejected. Now I love Nottingham. Point is I bet you love wherever you end up even if it wasn't your first choice.
Reply 9
I got an offer from Nottingham, but I have no idea why everybody wants to go there. I would take the place for the sheer fact that people tell me I'm so lucky to get an offer from them, but I'd love a decent recent for going.
Reply 10
fishpaste
I got an offer from Nottingham, but I have no idea why everybody wants to go there. I would take the place for the sheer fact that people tell me I'm so lucky to get an offer from them, but I'd love a decent recent for going.

Everything!! Great social life, great campus, great academia, next to great city. What more can you ask for? If your a guy Nottingham is reputed to have the best women in the UK too :P (i'm a girl so it doesn't matter but....).

I like it especially coz i'm going on a scholarship teehee.
fishpaste

Its probably the best/most attractive uni in the country, combines social life and academia very well, a large student city, *always* something to do, most big bands play at rock city

in terms of repuation/nightlife its third after london and manchester

and its insanely over subscribed, people who are here usually have it as their first choice, i haven't met anyone for whom it was their insurance/through clearing

i dunno..i just love the place, much prefer it to london
when i visited Nottingham, i was absolutely amazed by it's campus. i instantly knew that Nottingham was the Uni that i wanted yo go to. and i was so happy when i got my offer in, which i have accepted as my firm.

however i was disappointed to read some other threads that completely slagged of Nottingam for being a dump and stuff, and i was slightly confused about Nottingham (also as Nott trent is my insurance). but after reading this thread, i am glad to know that there are many good things about Nottingham.
Reply 13
shing_a_ding
when i visited Nottingham, i was absolutely amazed by it's campus. i instantly knew that Nottingham was the Uni that i wanted yo go to. and i was so happy when i got my offer in, which i have accepted as my firm.

however i was disappointed to read some other threads that completely slagged of Nottingam for being a dump and stuff, and i was slightly confused about Nottingham (also as Nott trent is my insurance). but after reading this thread, i am glad to know that there are many good things about Nottingham.

People slag nottingham trent mainly. Cus its a bit naff!
Reply 14
Ladyluck
People slag nottingham trent mainly. Cus its a bit naff!

shut up you snob,just cos you live in a dump,dont mean you have to get snobby over other unis
Reply 15
andyreid
shut up you snob,just cos you live in a dump,dont mean you have to get snobby over other unis

OOOH bitter are we! How can you possibly say i am a snob...as for saying *i live in a dump* you dont even know where i live, so thats quite brainless not to mention childish to retort with that.

Im not being snobby over unis, i jsut mentioned Trent, i have actually been and stayed on a number of occasions with a few friends who are there so am entitled to a fair comment. I didnt like it. End of story.
Well it's difficult to call it a historic city. But it's not that bad as far as big cities go. Very good shops + pubs.
Reply 17
happysunshine
Well it's difficult to call it a historic city. But it's not that bad as far as big cities go. Very good shops + pubs.

FInally someone's got back to the point of this thread.

i suppose its historic if you think about robin hood! lolz. Birmingham is better for shopping, but since nottingham has an ice rink it can be let off.

The clubbing scene in Nottingham is given bad press, there are loads of police documentaries on TV about nottingham, showing the drunkards coming out of Ocean and such. I dont think its any worse than any other city though.
Reply 18
Ladyluck
FInally someone's got back to the point of this thread.

i suppose its historic if you think about robin hood! lolz. Birmingham is better for shopping, but since nottingham has an ice rink it can be let off.

The clubbing scene in Nottingham is given bad press, there are loads of police documentaries on TV about nottingham, showing the drunkards coming out of Ocean and such. I dont think its any worse than any other city though.

lmao look at my crime thread,it stastically proven,all do thjose people and police force make those stats up

i saw in the evening post by the way the other day a NOTTINGHAM UNIVERSITY STUDENT being robbed in his own house at gun point on the victoria embankment

im sorry but that does not happen in york
god you are such a pointless little man :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending