The Student Room Group

Parametric equation - velocity

A curve is given by x=a(θsinθ),y=a(1+cosθ)x=a(\theta -sin\theta),y=a(1+cos\theta)

A small smooth bead is slides on the curve. Show that its velocity (dxdt,dydt)(\frac{dx}{dt},\frac{dy}{dt}) is 2adθdtcosθ2(cosθ2,sinθ2)2a\frac{d\theta}{dt}cos\frac{\theta}{2} (cos\frac{\theta}{2},sin\frac{\theta}{2})

When i differentiate x and y with respect to t, i don't get this. I seem to get 2adθdtsinθ2(sinθ2,cosθ2)2a\frac{d\theta}{dt}sin\frac{\theta}{2} (sin\frac{\theta}{2},-cos\frac{\theta}{2})

Could someone give me a hand with the question please
lilman91
A curve is given by x=a(θsinθ),y=a(1+cosθ)x=a(\theta -sin\theta),y=a(1+cos\theta)

A small smooth bead is slides on the curve. Show that its velocity (dxdt,dydt)(\frac{dx}{dt},\frac{dy}{dt}) is 2adθdtcosθ2(cosθ2,sinθ2)2a\frac{d\theta}{dt}cos\frac{\theta}{2} (cos\frac{\theta}{2},sin\frac{\theta}{2})

When i differentiate x and y with respect to t, i don't get this. I seem to get 2adθdtsinθ2(sinθ2,cosθ2)2a\frac{d\theta}{dt}sin\frac{\theta}{2} (sin\frac{\theta}{2},-cos\frac{\theta}{2})

Could someone give me a hand with the question please

With the information you have given, I agree with your answer.

So, we've both made the same mistake, or there is an error in the given question or answer.
Reply 2
ghostwalker
With the information you have given, I agree with your answer.

So, we've both made the same mistake, or there is an error in the given question or answer.

its from an introductory worksheet that cambridge sent me. Here's what the question is - i don't think i missed anything out when i posetd
I don't even agree with the answer to the first part as I get -cot(theta/2)
Reply 4
ghostwalker
I don't even agree with the answer to the first part as I get -cot(theta/2)

:no: I don't agree either.

I got down to dydx=sinθ1cosθ\dfrac{dy}{dx}=-\dfrac{sin\theta}{1-cos\theta}

Latest