The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was thinking the same, hopefully its not too awkward. I know that at least for John Fosters you get a kitchen still. They are meant to be smaller as you are catered but still got yor oven, fridge etc...
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Eh, you'll just sit with randomers at first - it's a good way to make friends!

That's what I'm hoping at least ><
Reply 3
you will probably go to dinner with your flatmates rather than on your own so I wouldnt worry about it
just sit down next to the boy you fancy the most
Reply 5
The dining halls are JUST big enough, it's impossible you'll be far from anyone! even if you try!
Reply 6
Anyone know what the food is like? Edible? Nice? Not so edible? :tongue:
Seeing as you are all new it is acceptable to go sit next to people you don't know and start talking :yes: good way to get to know people in your area...
Reply 8
Yeah I also wanted to know about the food, heard some pretty bad rumours
Food is....alright.
Its like canteen food. I couldnt put up with it everyday to be honest- but then thats why I didnt go catered.

Some people think its fine, others hate it, most would probably say its ok.
hey i am already at the uni for the international student welcome programme ....i have a room in JOFO but now for the ISWP staying in beaumont. i have a catered room and we still do have a kitchen . during the lunch or the breakfast time the cafetaria is jam packed (if you dont go early) . the later you go the longer the line. just sit on any table you want and greet the others siting there , tell them your name , and stuff like course, course duration ....where you from etc etc and ask them the same stuff and thats it slowly but gradualy you`ll make good friends . the food is ok .. not bad at all ..... it really depends ... its not spicey or something like that but definately good edible food...
i am a fresher too ......sooooooooooooo any questions fell free to ask .... well i`ll try to answer them p.s. i am new here too =p
Reply 11
Coco.
Hi I'm in catered accommodation and I'm really worried about it! When you first start is it a bit awkward having to go to the dining hall on your own... and is there a kitchen you can make your own food in? I dont wanna be sitting in there on my own.

Don't worry about it, when i was catered in first year everyone went down with their flatmates ... everyone sticks together cos everyone has the same worries!
Reply 12
That's why I didn't choose catered accommodation. It's like being in a primary/secondary school canteen; eating what they tell you to eat, eating where they tell you to eat, possibly eating alone, or with friends if you're lucky. There's no freedom or independance in that whatsoever.

SELF-CATERED ACCOMMODATION ALL THE WAY
Reply 13
It might not seem it but in a lot of ways catered is cheaper plus you still get a kitchen so can still cook. No doubt I will be cooking a lot of my own meals anyway.
I can't wait to eat what 'THE MAN' tells me to eat.
At the end of the day, who wants freedom when you can't cook! Possibly William Wallace...
Reply 15
I was catered last year. I thought it was fine, the only complaingt I would really have is that there were not often enought vegetables and the ones that were there had the tendancey to be badly cooked. Ohh and I didn't like many of the puddings but they had an over fondness for coating everything in custard which I hate! Other than that it was fine, absoutely fine.

I always went down with my block people (about 10 of us!). Someone was in charge of going round knocking on all the doors and shouting 'dinner' down the hall!!!

Seriously, it woun't be half as bad as you think it is going to be.

I'm going self catered this year as I am moving into The Beeches with a friend who lived there last year. It's self catered and to be honest, if it wasn't for the fact of living with my friend, I would much prefer to go catered again. I'm a bit worried of having to do my cooking. Also, it's nice coming home from uni and not having to bother about cooking even if you are tired etc.
I was also in catered last year, the food wasn't bad, but it was instutitional food, so rather simular to school dinners although a tiny bit better. Vegatables as has being said tend to be overcooked or in the case of roast potato's always undercooked, or at least that's how it seemed. Also if you get in late, i.e. about 30 or 40 minutes before the end of service or later, the varity goes down significantly. Likewise depending on when you go the line would vary significantly the first 20 minutes or so where always very crowded, would die down a bit then increase again as people with lectures that ended at 5 started to come in.

As for the social side, in the first few weeks most people go in large groups with other people in their blocks, then over the weeks thease groups reduce down in size as people split into individual and smaller friendship groups.
Reply 17
Someone else who hates custard, woo. I can't stand it and everywhere always seems to coat deserts in it. (love the name btw QI Elf). Thanks for the replies. It sounds like it is going to be fine.

Was there enough food to eat, or were you still a bit hungry? I can easily eat for 2 people :tongue: (and yet stay skinny :smile: )
I would've thought that the easy way to deal with awkward dinner situations is to go down as a flat, floor or block to dinner for the first few weeks.
Reply 19
I'm taking the attitude that no one will know each other anyway so it really doesn't matter who you sit with ^^

Latest

Trending

Trending