The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

How To Get To Hertfordshire University

Basically I've only ever been on a train once in my life and I've never ventured outside Birmingham.
If there are people like me (God help you if you are :tongue:) then you might find (like me) getting to Herts troublesome. I've got nobody to help me, and family will not help either. I'm doing this all by myself and I feel odd asking for help, but I've no other choice.

I was hoping to get multiple routes of entry to Hertfordshire from those who know their way around. Not just 1 bus route but many, so this thread is able to help more than one person.

Now getting into London is the easy thing to do, more or less. I'm sure everyone can get to Kings Cross Station or on one of the main railway destinations in London.

What busses or trains (or magic carpet) take you to the university? Where will we need to get off and walk to?

I'm trying to use these 2 websites to help me but they're not helping out as much as I'd like them to. I hope they will help someone else getting to the London area:

Transport Direct

National Rail

I hope someone is able to guide me and in doing so help someone else looking for a way into Hertfordshire. I'll be carrying what seems like my entire life on my back and wouldn't like to get stranded or lost trying to find my way to the uni and be late, then again this might apply to just about anyone travelling alone.

Help would be appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you are going from birmingham to hatfield, then you will need to catch the train from Birmingham New Street to London Euston. From Euston you get the underground to London Kings Cross. From London Kings Cross you get the train to Hatfield. And when you get to Hatfield just ask anyone for the bus to the uni, it takes about 10-15 mins or less.
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
The bus you want from Hatfield station is the 603.
Reply 3
You could get a train to watford from kings cross...(jumo on the Metropolitan) and from there you can get the UNO bus straight to Hertfordshire uni...theres many routes..I myself dont know how to get to hatfield station :s so i usually take the buss from Edgware...ooo yh you could go to edgware from kings cross.
But are you going to be having loads of luggage on you?
Lolaarr
You could get a train to watford from kings cross...(jumo on the Metropolitan) and from there you can get the UNO bus straight to Hertfordshire uni...theres many routes..I myself dont know how to get to hatfield station :s so i usually take the buss from Edgware...ooo yh you could go to edgware from kings cross.
But are you going to be having loads of luggage on you?

Why on earth would anyone go to Kings Cross, travel by train to Watford and then get a bus to Hatfield, when they could just get the train straight there?!
You can go direct from Kings Cross to Hatfield... Can you even get to Watford from Kings Cross? I thought that was Euston :|
Get a cab. Thank me later.
Reply 7
thecurators
Why on earth would anyone go to Kings Cross, travel by train to Watford and then get a bus to Hatfield, when they could just get the train straight there?!

train straight to where?? Hatfield station? meh...i dont even know what trains go there...and i live right next to hertfordshire
Lolaarr
train straight to where?? Hatfield station? meh...i dont even know what trains go there...and i live right next to hertfordshire

Yes, to Hatfield Station... where else would I be talking about? Bristol Temple Meads?!

If you don't know what trains go there, why did you think to give out terrible advice that would probably take an extra hour and a half, and cost more?

Trains from Kings Cross which stop at Hatfield are usually the ones which terminate at Cambridge or Foxton, and typically depart from platform 11 (though not always).
Reply 9
thecurators
Trains from Kings Cross which stop at Hatfield are usually the ones which terminate at Cambridge or Foxton, and typically depart from platform 11 (though not always).

Yep, National rail says 6,7 or 11, there are some that terminate at Peterborough too IIRC
thecurators
Yes, to Hatfield Station... where else would I be talking about? Bristol Temple Meads?!

If you don't know what trains go there, why did you think to give out terrible advice that would probably take an extra hour and a half, and cost more?

Is that necessary...?
If you read the post properly, the OP asked for various routes. (To also help others)
And she gave one.
There really is no need to be rude about it.
Lilrascal19
Is that necessary...?
If you read the post properly, the OP asked for various routes. (To also help others)
And she gave one.
There really is no need to be rude about it.

I'm not going to apologise for criticising someone giving out terribly bad advice - either through naivety or otherwise.

How can you condone telling someone to travel through Kings Cross to Watford and then get a bus, when they can just go direct to Hatfield? When people are on a budget and don't know their way around, I don't think they should be told to add 1:30 onto their journey and at an extra cost.
thecurators
I'm not going to apologise for criticising someone giving out terribly bad advice - either through naivety or otherwise.

How can you condone telling someone to travel through Kings Cross to Watford and then get a bus, when they can just go direct to Hatfield? When people are on a budget and don't know their way around, I don't think they should be told to add 1:30 onto their journey and at an extra cost.

Ok, so you obviously didn't read my post either.
As I and the OP have mentioned, this thread is to also help others.

What if one day there isn't no trains from King's Cross to Hatfield?
What if there are people reading this thread that are commuting from places like Harrow? Going to Watford could be easier for them.

It is just an alternative route.
Lilrascal19
Ok, so you obviously didn't read my post either.
As I and the OP have mentioned, this thread is to also help others.

What if one day there isn't no trains from King's Cross to Hatfield?
What if there are people reading this thread that are commuting from places like Harrow? Going to Watford could be easier for them.

It is just an alternative route.

I read your post, but I had no intention of getting into an argument over something so silly. The advice is given from the point of view of travelling through Kings Cross - not Harrow - so you're making a moot point. If the advice given said something about starting from Harrow, or initially passing through Watford, then it would make sense.

I totally understand the OP's request for a variety of routes for those travelling from different locations, but why would you think that it would be sensible to travel through Kings Cross to get to Hatfield and then go in the opposite direction? Instead of accusing me of not reading your post, why not read mine instead? Like I said - if it made sense, then I wouldn't have said anything.

A helpful post showing a variety of routes from different directions would be:
If you are traveling by train from the West....
If you are traveling through central London....
If you are travelling from Cambridge...
If you are travelling from the North...

Not: if you are traveling through Kings Cross to Hatfield, go the wrong way and then take a bus back to a place you could have got to in less than 25 minutes.

I've yet to see your contribution. I was correcting an erroneous point.

And if there are no trains to Hatfield from Kings Cross, then do you not think it's more than likely that rail-replacement services will be running?

I don't know what you're trying to prove. Best move on as we're obviously not going to agree?
Reply 14
There's no need to argue over this, we're all old enough to just get over it lol. But i do agree with thecurators at the fact there's always bus replacements if trains aren't running :smile:
Reply 15
auriane6
There's no need to argue over this, we're all old enough to just get over it lol. But i do agree with thecurators at the fact there's always bus replacements if trains aren't running :smile:

They are slow as hell though, i caught one once and it took the best part of 2 hours to get to the station because it goes around all the back streets lol
Reply 16
loool! that is slow. I wonder how long it would take to get home by pubic transport from uni hmm
Reply 17
if you go to this page, there is a list of all the stations on the same line as hatfield http://www.visiteastofengland.info/

the pink and purple ones :-)
Reply 18
awesome :biggrin: Is the simpliest route to take for me to get to Waterloo, take train from Hatfield to Kings Cross and then the tube to waterloo?
Reply 19
auriane6
awesome :biggrin: Is the simpliest route to take for me to get to Waterloo, take train from Hatfield to Kings Cross and then the tube to waterloo?

Yeah sounds like it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending