The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Dick Valentine
Guilty.

Beat me to it.
shon3n jump
Although myself I wouldn't rate Ali as a genius, Kinesthetically he may be defined as one I just consider Boxing brutally pointless.

By that logic you may as well declare all sporting events pointless, then.
Reply 62

"British geniuses feature heavily in a 2007 list that notes the greatest living thinkers of our time - proportionately more than any other country"

"The company emailed 4,000 Britons in the summer of 2007 and asked them to nominate up to 10 living people who they considered geniuses. "

Holy ****, you mean British people vote for a disproportionately high number of British people to be in a list of genius people.

Who'd have thunk it.
danny111
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see

You're a genius.
Reply 64
TheWakeUpCall
You're a genius.

if only.
Reply 65
no ones a genius. its all just relative.

which just isnt good enough.
Who the **** decided that JK Rowling was a genius?!?

She wrote a few books, for ***** sake! Jeez, I must've read HUNDREDS of books better than what she wrote. Alright, her books aren't bad, but come on, they hardly match up to some other authors! I will name some when I'm less tired... :wink:

The guy who wrote Of Mice And Men is definitely in there though. As is Arthur Miller (I think that's what his name was. Death Of a Salesman and View From A Bridge? Ok fine, those were plays, but I read them in book form :p: )
Tolkien is probably under-rated in his genius. Very smart bloke.

Going off that list from the telegraph clearly Nelson Mandela as well and Matt Groening are very over-rated.

Nice to see Hans Zimmer and Philip Glass in the top 100.
JohnnytheFox
Russell Brand.

A lot of people (pre-pubescent schoolgirls, mostly) seem to think he's a genius because he has a slightly above average vocabulary.

He actually is a comedy genius though.

ponderland and his lives shows are amazing.

I really need to dload his best bits from radio, anyone got any links that I can do this with?
Reply 69
I think we've come to the conclusion that 'genius' is relative. In today's world the word's meaning has broadened to mean anything from someone of high intellect to someone with an IQ above a certain level. I mean, there are freakin' Playboy Bunnys considered geniuses:
http://www.jonholato.com/2007/09/25/dorota-rabczewska-doda-elektroda-the-worlds-most-beautiful-genius/
shon3n jump
Heres a definition of genius, those in the top .01% for IQ in a gaussian bell curve distribution.

So anyone with an IQ of greater than about 150

Following that I doubt many people on the list are at genius level although IQ is an inherently flawed system, failing to take into account the myriad of different allotropes of intelligence. Social, Emotional, Creative, Musical, Linguistic, Logical-Mathematic, Interpersonal, Intropersonal, Spatial and Kinaesthetic are all types of intelligence

A system which only takes into account Logical-Mathematic intelligence and is biased towards whit middle class americans is inherently flawed,

Yes it's inheritently flawed, it just so happens that every person that has made major science and mathematics break-throughs have incredible high IQ's.

People saying IQ mean nothing are usually black!
tbh if success is part of being a genius arnie is up there.

Conquered the bodybuilding world, conquered the movie world, now probably doing the best he can in the political world. They may change the law so he may be able to get in power in the US.

Even if I didn't agree with any of his policies I'd still vote for him because he's Arnie, the Americans would be worse than me.
Hugh-Jackman
Yes it's inheritently flawed, it just so happens that every person that has made major science and mathematics break-throughs have incredible high IQ's.

His point is that intelligence, and thus genius, doesnt have to be a purely intellectual thing. Nelson Mandela for instance had great sensitivity and interpersonal skills as well as inner strength. He would like to call this a less tangible form of genius.
Reply 73
Hugh-Jackman

xD i ****** love you!
Reply 74
AshMcD
"British geniuses feature heavily in a 2007 list that notes the greatest living thinkers of our time - proportionately more than any other country"

"The company emailed 4,000 Britons in the summer of 2007 and asked them to nominate up to 10 living people who they considered geniuses. "

Holy ****, you mean British people vote for a disproportionately high number of British people to be in a list of genius people.

Who'd have thunk it.

Shut up you don't argue with the article written by a genius!
Reply 75
AsphyxiateD
By that logic you may as well declare all sporting events pointless, then.

they kinda are... not much of a greater purpose to them really...

but they're fun so whatcha gonna do?
Reply 76
Sgrafitti
1) Stephen Fry
2) David Mitchell
3) J K Rowling
4) Stephenie Meyer

Anyone else :teeth:

Ouch... that made me sad :frown:
Why on earth would Stephanie Meyer be considered a genius ever?
A lot of people are forgetting that to be funny (well, actually funny) you need to be very intelligent. Wit is a type of intelligence.

There is one person that people always call a genius and it really gets my goat. And that is Andrew Lloyd Webber.

The reason for this is, when I compare the musicals he has composed to others, they seem really pants in comparison. I wanted to kill myself in Joseph and don't even get me started on Starlight Express. And then I remembered that 'Oh wait, he did do Phantom, you know, credit where its due . . . ' and then I found out that he didn't write any of the good songs.

And now everyone thinks he wrote other musicals like 'Oliver' and 'Sound Of Music' because he is involved with programmes to do with them (clever thinking, mate) and they're like 'Oh, hes such a genius', when really, hes not that amazing.

Rant over.
danny111
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see

****'s deep. (You should have put quotation marks though...)