The Student Room Group

No Expenses Shared - why MPs' expenses were leaked

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/6228694/MPs-expenses-how-fury-over-plight-of-our-soldiers-blew-lid-on-claims.html

"The Telegraph’s investigation into MPs’ expense claims earlier this year blew the lid off widespread abuse of the parliamentary allowance system, exposing the “flipping” of second homes, systematic tax avoidance, “phantom” mortgages and claims for fripperies such as moat cleaning, manure and a duck house.

No Expenses Spared, written by two members of the Telegraph’s investigation team, describes how employees at The Stationery Office where the MPs’ files were sent for censorship before their intended publication by parliament reacted when they first saw the MP’s claims for second homes, furniture and luxury goods.

The workers, who included parliamentary staff on secondment, became so agitated that they had to be told by managers to calm down."
Good article.
I like how at first the MP's claimed they were doing nothing wrong. It took a while to sink in that wouldn't work so the next tactic they tried was trying to justify it. Then they played the victim card and tried attacking the Telegraph for it's investigations.

Some apologised and paid it back, but what worries me is that if the information hadn't been leaked then no-one would have known and they would have carried on and still be doing it to this day.

One other thing that annoys me is that many of the guilty people were allowed to stay on and step down at the next election. Although not as practical politically It still would have been better to see them go straight away.

Latest

Trending

Trending