The Student Room Group

What do you think it takes to get an A*A*A* at A-level?

What do you think it takes to get A*A*A* at A-level? I actually believe it can't be achieved through solely hard work, to get a 90 UMS average across all papers, you need more than your hardest work to be put in. Do you think natural ability mainly comes to this and a very good schooling/conditioning? I think you need all these factors on your side. Basically, the sort of people getting these grades will be mainly at the top end of the elite sort of prep/boarding schools really where you can get conditioned/focus all the time. Hard work may be not enough. This is my opinion anyway, what is yours?
Thanks. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Natural apitude for the subject, hard work and excellent exam technique are all very important. Isn't that just obvious?
I think you need to be relatively intelligent, dedicated to achieving that target, and incredibly hard-working.

Or very intelligent, and pretty hard-working. But most will fall into the first category.
£1,000,000
90% in A2.
Joy Division
90% in A2.

There's always one. (and you're wrong for maths :p:)
Reply 6
90% average in A2 modules, 80% overall average, except in Maths which is a little odd. Simples!
Reply 7
It takes hard work :smile:

Well, not solely. But that is a major part of it. :h:
Reply 8
A sado who doesnt have a life and studies all te freaking time....:P
Reply 9
Dedication, motivation, technique and natural ability.
Practice makes perfect.
Reply 10
If thats the case, then won't it be easier to get the lower grades?
Just maybe hard work and a lot of revision . I did a-levels last year. Got 90% UMS at A2 and at AS for Psychology.
Of course it takes an ounce of common sense.
Reply 12
cruciform
What do you think it takes to get A*A*A* at A-level? I actually believe it can't be achieved through solely hard work, to get a 90 UMS average across all papers, you need more than your hardest work to be put in. Do you think natural ability mainly comes to this and a very good schooling/conditioning? I think you need all these factors on your side. Basically, the sort of people getting these grades will be mainly at the top end of the elite sort of prep/boarding schools really where you can get conditioned/focus all the time. Hard work may be not enough. This is my opinion anyway, what is yours?
Thanks. :smile:

not to ask questions like this..
£500.
Tbh...You can be very intelligent, dedicated, focused/conditioned and might not get an A/A* grade (e.g like being a few marks off an A or A*) at the end the day it kinda comes to luck. As it does depend on the exam paper, a person may have learnt the whole syllabus and yet a question they do not feel confident on may come up.
a mixture of hard work, natural ability (understanding of the subject), strong exam technique and a good memory

i have feeling i have missed something out, but ah well :rolleyes:
It can take either a lot or not all thaaaat much.

I mean, if you're doing 3 mathematical subjects, it won't take that much to get.
Maths, further maths and additional further maths wouldn't be desperately hard to get 3 A*s.

If you're doing 3 essayish subjects, again it wouldn't take all that much to get, in my opinion.
General studies, critical thinking and English wouldn't be amazingly hard to get 3 A*s in, as far as I see it.

Though you're welcome to disagree! XD
Either:

Someone with a decent IQ who works a crazy amount.

Or

Someone with a high IQ who works a decent amount.
Reply 18
you have to like the subject, hardwork and lastly luck
caroline147
Either:

Someone with a high IQ who works a decent amount.

How high is the IQ we are talking here?:biggrin:

Latest