The Student Room Group

Scholarships for International students in the USA

Is it a lot harder to get scholarships if you are an international student enrolled in a US university?

I've looked through some scholarships at various US universities, and most of them always say "open to US citizens or permanent residents only."

Considering how much more international students need to pay, it doesn't look promising. =|
For intl students, there are 8 need-blind colleges in the USA who give international students FA corresponding to their financial need : MIT, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Williams College, Dartmouth College, Amherst Colleges.
Others like Columbia or Brown are not need-blind but try as much as possible to give you FA corresponding to your financial need.
Some Tier 2 or Tier 3 uni with a large endowment would also be happy to give you FA, if you are above their average students or hooked. So would uni who don't attract that many international students like to be able to say we got students from X countries (well but I see that you are from Canada).
In Peterson's Guide for International Students, each US accredited uni is listed, and you can see how many intl students they helped and what was the average FA package. If you want a specific data you can PM me. I personally just got Peterson's Guide at fulbright for free, maybe you could try to get it too.
In your reseach, be aware that sometimes it looks like the uni is very generous because the average FA package looks huge, but actually it's like a lot of loans and a small scholarship.

Latest

Trending

Trending