The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Well, if it's the same one they do at magd., some people come round and plug everything that has a plug into their PAT tester. Then they put a sticker on it. And that's it.
My laptop got tested in first year, but not in second because it was in the lecture hall with me..
Reply 2
bubbles50
At Peterhouse you have to pay £2/£2.50 per item :s so I'm having mine done before I go :smile:

Will I have to get my toothbrush charger tested, or the adapter that is used to fit it into a three prong UK plug socket? :s Or just bring both to the electrician lol

They make you pay for the electric safety testing/PAT at Peterhouse? That is very stingy!

At my college, a couple of men barge in to your room and test the appliances, then slam a sticker on them to show they are safe.
bubbles50
Will I have to get my toothbrush charger tested, or the adapter that is used to fit it into a three prong UK plug socket? :s Or just bring both to the electrician lol

Bring both - the toothbrush charger will need to be tested, and as the testing machine will have a 13A socket the adapter will be needed.

I have helped with PAT testing (of lights at the ADC theatre) and I can confirm it first involves giving it a quick visual check to look for obvious exposed live wires, opening the plug (if it's the fit-it-yourself kind, they just assume it's ok if it's a moulded one) to make sure it's wired properly with a suitable fuse. They then plug it into a mysterious machine. If it's double insulated (ie. has a plastic outer) they press "go" on the machine, if it's not (ie. metal on the outside) they clip it with a large clip that is wired to the machine (this may involve scratching the paint on your thing so the clip can connect properly). The machine does things like ensure the live isn't directly conected to the earth pins, make sure there's something connected between the live and neutral on the plug (ie. that there isn't a short-circuit somewhere), and make sure that if the outside of the appliance is metal it's properly earthed.

Basically it's a basic safety check related to some silly H&S rule that the college is a "public building" and if your appliance is reasonably modern and well looked after you have nothing to worry about. The appliance won't get switched on so they won't be going through your computer etc, and nothing will get in any way damaged. So nothing to worry about :smile:
Reply 4
I see, the test isn't that scary then. I think Peterhouse is quite stingy as well, at Pembroke they pay for the test, apparently.
Reply 5
the test takes like 10 seconds for each item (and since everything is either brand new or has been used extensively at home everything passes) so peterhouse is incredibly stingy

at churchill you have to take your stuff to be PAT tested, so people just don't bother
Reply 6
I would have to pay so much money if I went to Peterhouse. Do you have to get it done every year as well? If so that's just wrong, really wrong.
Reply 7
magdalene is also stingy then... it costs so much per item, until a certain number where it just costs £10 for everything. And it gets done every year.. I think we're charged because they get some expensive company to do it, rather than college-based people.
Reply 8
Maybe someone should add this whole PAT thing into college wiki @ TSR?
Reply 9
http://www.pat-testing.info/

basically they do a quick test of the appliance using standard equipment to test that it poses no immediate danger. you will then be certificated for 12 months. It's a standard thing alot of companies do now to make sure you don't blow up their entire dwiring system or burn down their building - also helps from an insurance perspective.
The Portable Appliance Test is more important than A levels. I had a conditional offer, but when I couldn't build a microwave oven out of spare parts I had to go to Leeds.
We pay £8 to cover all our items :frown:
Reply 12
Wow, i can't believe some colleges make you pay! Mine was done without me even realising.. came back one day and there were little green stickers on everything..

Latest

Trending

Trending