The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Congratulations to all you cats who have got offers already, kind of jealous! The college I went to have a policy of waiting until after the Oxbridge deadline has closed for non-Oxbridge candidates so I'll be here twiddling my thumbs.

Oh, and someone I know applied last year in November and got her offer back within a week, so it's a quick turnaround. SOAS, on the other hand, like to wait until Febuary. So if you've applied there, take a seat, a coffee, some biscuits and read a book. It's a loooooooong wait.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 41
tstar-x

I will be applying for Japanese and Business Management this year. I really liked the place when I went to an open day, so I hope I can get an offer too!

Awesome. I actually met someone a few weeks ago who said they were applying for that :smile: Good luck

Barbear
hey guys! Im also applying and got an offer from sheffield already! :biggrin: nice to meet u all

Congrats! Is that a conditional offer?

dale_cooper

Oh, and someone I know applied last year in November and got her offer back within a week, so it's a quick turnaround. SOAS, on the other hand, like to wait until Febuary. So if you've applied there, take a seat, a coffee, some biscuits and read a book. It's a loooooooong wait.

Yeah, Sheffield do tend to be super fast which is great. I do know some people who've got SOAS offers rather quickly but yeah, in general, they can take a long, long time. Disorganisation + high number of applicants mustn't be working out too well for them :p: Good luck with your application. :smile:
Reply 42
hakone88

Congrats! Is that a conditional offer?

its unconditional :smile: except for proof of qualifications but I got them a year ago.

I never took any japanese lessons before so I guess I better learn a few of the basics before I go? Im thinking of learning at least the kana and some basic vocabulary.
Reply 43
KursedEG
If I got an offer from Sheffield.. I don't know if I'd risk it to be honest..

For the record, I'm a manga fanatic. I'll admit it. I'm not ashamed in the slightest.

Top of the page-->Societies-->Anime Society we're all lovely there :smile:
also you'll see anime planet in a lot of our sigs...check it out :smile:
Reply 44
Barbear
its unconditional :smile: except for proof of qualifications but I got them a year ago.

I never took any japanese lessons before so I guess I better learn a few of the basics before I go? Im thinking of learning at least the kana and some basic vocabulary.

Oh, awesome. :smile:

Yeah, the bare minimum is having a good grasp of kana but learning a bit of basic grammar and vocabulary wouldn't go amiss :yes: There are still people that turn up for this course having not learned a single thing... not advisable hah!
hi everyone!!
I am a first year doing japanese at Sheffield Uni!
I hope you all get into your first choices and if you are coming to sheffield i am super excited to meetin ya!! :smile:

okay let me say somthing first: pls plsplsplsplspl PLEASEEEEEEEE do not get dragged down or disheartened by people saying ''oh its soo hard'' or ''you will only pass if you have previous experiance'' because that is rubbish!!

they wouldnt offer the course to freshstarters of japanese if it wasn't do able!! the only requirements are that you can read and write hiragana and katakana!! sure anything more is a plus, however, the knowledge you may know will quickly be covered in the first semester!! so those who are a bit scared do not worry!!

where there is a will there is a way! aslong as you have a passion for the subject you will be able to do well in it! I myself started with little prior knowledge but I am loving my time here!!
the teachers at SEAS are seriously some of the best!! we came out top of the score board for japanese this previous year and now i know why!!!

of course there is alot of work but aslong as you do it you will be fine! and of course you WILL have a social life too!! I have been having a great time in and outside the class!!
if anyone wants to make a facebook group for this pls tell me !! :smile:
I have a tonne of VERY usefull links and downloads for you guys to have!! they will help you before and threw out your course!!!! :smile:

good luck to all of you and hopefully see you all soon :smile:!!!!!!
ducksforthewin

Thanks for that! quite a relief, thought id have my face in books 24/7 just to keep up!
In hindsight, first year is a piece of piss to be fair. You think its hard then they crank up the levels for next year. It tends to be less structured and rigorous with regards to kanji and vocab for example.

The only good thing about the YA is that its good for improving your spoken Japanese, if you choose the right uni. I see some of my friends just surrounding themselves in that international bubble and/or eigo bandits. A terrible situation I think. Most of the people I've met here don't speak any English, and those that do, especially the girls, feel a bit shy when it comes to speaking it with a handsome stud like myself.
ducksforthewin
hi everyone!!
I am a first year doing japanese at Sheffield Uni!
I hope you all get into your first choices and if you are coming to sheffield i am super excited to meetin ya!! :smile:

okay let me say somthing first: pls plsplsplsplspl PLEASEEEEEEEE do not get dragged down or disheartened by people saying ''oh its soo hard'' or ''you will only pass if you have previous experiance'' because that is rubbish!!

The people who cane you in exams and will be top of the class are mostly the really intelligent people (I'm not naming names) and those that work their ass off day after day (again I'm not naming names.) There are the few though that seem to know a retarded amount of kanji and have been to Japan for a year, which puts them on a higher arc than others and don't really fall into either category.

All the higher percentiles who did work really hard in our year though got scholarships so I ain't complaining about the current system.

Its mostly down to if you lose the passion for it, like me right now. I have heard that they have made the course a bit easier from previous years though. I would have liked another speaking exam, considering I got a stupidly high score for my one and only one in Sheffield. :mad:
Reply 49
guy_incognito
In hindsight, first year is a piece of piss to be fair. You think its hard then they crank up the levels for next year. It tends to be less structured and rigorous with regards to kanji and vocab for example.

The only good thing about the YA is that its good for improving your spoken Japanese, if you choose the right uni. I see some of my friends just surrounding themselves in that international bubble and/or eigo bandits. A terrible situation I think. Most of the people I've met here don't speak any English, and those that do, especially the girls, feel a bit shy when it comes to speaking it with a handsome stud like myself.

Yeah. I've been thinking about that too. Is the only solution to go to a relatively remote university?

Is the range of universities that you can choose from based on your first year grades or is there more to it?
hakone88
Yeah. I've been thinking about that too. Is the only solution to go to a relatively remote university?

Is the range of universities that you can choose from based on your first year grades or is there more to it?

Get crap grades and you'll go to Doshisha. Do really well and you'll go to a top uni like Waseda, Kyodai or Keio. This is to ensure the best students get (supposedly) the best unis to go to and well the weaker students get some sort of kick up the arse. I think I just got placed at Seijo because I asked for Tokyo and it was either here or ICU and I didn't fancy ICU too much. You can pretty much choose what uni you want to go to, bar the top ones which demand high grades from you.

No doubt if you go somewhere where they will speak English for you, especially the bigger unis, your spoken Japanese will never improve but being here where I am now and having to pay the rent, bills and get info from the academic staff etc in Japanese is certainly something that some of compatriots will not be facing.

It depends on you though and how willing you are to either make the most of your environment or simply break free from it.
guy_incognito
. I would have liked another speaking exam, considering I got a stupidly high score for my one and only one in Sheffield. :mad:

You only got one oral exam in two years? :confused:
Reply 52
Hey everyone, I just sent my application off >.< I was wondering: those who already got offers from Sheffield... how soon did they arrive after your application went off?
Im_a_cyborg
You only got one oral exam in two years? :confused:

I think so...
guy_incognito
The people who cane you in exams and will be top of the class are mostly the really intelligent people (I'm not naming names) and those that work their ass off day after day (again I'm not naming names.) There are the few though that seem to know a retarded amount of kanji and have been to Japan for a year, which puts them on a higher arc than others and don't really fall into either category.

All the higher percentiles who did work really hard in our year though got scholarships so I ain't complaining about the current system.

Its mostly down to if you lose the passion for it, like me right now. I have heard that they have made the course a bit easier from previous years though. I would have liked another speaking exam, considering I got a stupidly high score for my one and only one in Sheffield. :mad:

i never said it was easy, obviously you have to work to get anywhere. But studying japanese isn't somthing i see as a subject or a task to do, i gladly do it everday as apart of my life for fun.

if people think they are better or above the rest of a year they are wrong for if they were better then they would be put into the second year.

aslong as you take it as fun and just use japanese in everyday life as much as you can its fun! on weekends have a speaking japanese party and stuff haha!

its just people who get loads of new years down and depressed about it being hard and stuff..they wouldnt offer it as a course for people with NO prior knowledge if it wasnt do able!! And it isnt hard if you just stay ontop of the work load! if it was soo hard and people are dropping out all over we wouldnt be top of the board for Japanese!
people also are like AHH kanji kanji kanji rah rah rah...just DO THE FRIGGIN work!! dont just go lesson and thats it!! go speak and use as much japanese as you can outside class!! I have parties on weekends with alot of the year abroad japanese students and second years ect, speaking only japanese all night just submerge yourself and you will be fine!! :P
JUST dont spend your friday nights in the IC till 2am studying like me hahahaha thats a bit too much but as i said if you love doing that stuff then you can join me haha!!
also you can have a friggin social life haha wow the amount of fun i have had here is great and it's all rolled into one :smile:

when i went to the office to drop my english module there was alot of people dropping out BUT they are the people doing a dual with a very difficult and demanding major/minor such as chemistry or economics ect..but even then you can still do it!

if people get you down just ignore them! its you and you alone who will get your degree so who cares what people say cos its not their degree! its yours!

also there are tonnes of nice people in each year to be friends with :smile:
oh and yer apparantly this year is easier BUT we have no kanji class...
we have an optional kanji class as there is a lack of teachers....
so most of the kanji we have to do on our own

sooo when saying its easier.....umm not in all areas haha !

but nothing a big big new nelson kanji dictionary and wakan wont solve :biggrin:!!
also using previous years anki card decks is good !!
Yeah, I really hated those kanji classes at Sheffield. Once you know how to write kanji it defeats the purpose for the rest of the year.

Heh, just bought a Nelson dictionary in Shinjuku this morning actually. Bloody expensive it was too. 3200 yen. :s-smilie:
amazon wasnt that much better for it!! but it is the bad boy of kanji dictionaries!!
myexodus
Hey everyone, I just sent my application off >.< I was wondering: those who already got offers from Sheffield... how soon did they arrive after your application went off?

My application was processed by UCAS on the 2nd October, and sheffield gave me an offer on the 7th October. :smile:
Reply 59
myexodus

Sent away on 27/28th Sept and got my (conditional) offer on 8th October. Good luck :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending