The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Commercial software wise, probably not.
Reply 2
Reply 3
newman24x
I need to upload some files on a server but its 50MB and the server limits is 2MB. Is it possible for me to compress the 50MB files to just 2MB?

Can't you do it in smaller bits? Like splitting it down for example? Or it is just one file...
Compressing it as a single file is unlikely to shave more than a few megabytes off, unfortunately. You could, however, 'cut' it into 25 x 2mb folders using WinRAR (although this means the intended recipient would also need WinRAR installed on their computer).
Reply 5
Twenty-five 2MB files? Sure.
Reply 6
Try 7 zip
Profesh
Twenty-five 2MB files? Sure.

Although rather impractical in this situation, it's certainly possible to do so.
Reply 8
Well here's where i'm stuck with, when i went to the postgrad online application system (Imperial, Edinburgh, etc) they have a limit of 2mb for every upload e.g. CV, transcripts, etc and my transcripts itself is 1.7mb . If i want to upload all my certs e.g co curricular, post held, events, etc it will be 50mb! Dont think compress with zip will help?

Advice please..:o:
Reply 9
Open the file in Paint and scale it down (Image > Stretch/Skew). You can use any percentage as long as it's readable, but anything below 100% should give you a much smaller file size anyway once you save it :smile:
Reply 10
newman24x
Well here's where i'm stuck with, when i went to the postgrad online application system (Imperial, Edinburgh, etc) they have a limit of 2mb for every upload e.g. CV, transcripts, etc and my transcripts itself is 1.7mb . If i want to upload all my certs e.g co curricular, post held, events, etc it will be 50mb! Dont think compress with zip will help?

Advice please..:o:

Merged the two threads on this topic.
Reply 11
Images and text tends to compress quiet alot i'll add.
Reply 12
CV + transcripts should be under 2mb already, but if not, zipping them should reduce their size by quite a bit.

If you want to upload certificates, (I presume scans?) then they should also be under 2mb. If they are bigger than 2mb then your resolution is way too high and you should rescan them or resize them.
That's only possible if the files are sparse and you use bzip, not relevant to this thread.

You said 2MB for every upload. So just upload everything separately? I assume there's no total limit, just 2MB per file.
Smallest it will go is 10mb with http://kgbarchiver.net/
You are probably using super-large images. Reduce them using Paint, or better, IrfanView. That should drastically reduce the filesize. Also make sure all your images are in the .jpg format instead of .bmp format.
newman24x
I need to upload some files on a server but its 50MB and the server limits is 2MB. Is it possible for me to compress the 50MB files to just 2MB?

You must be taking the piss, right...

Why don't you just use a better web server/site?
andrewkeith5
You must be taking the piss, right...

Why don't you just use a better web server/site?

The OP needs to upload files to uni application system for postgrad admissions. The uni set the limit of 2MB.
That level of compression is not possible. However - use WinRAR to make many smaller files. :smile:
Use FTP?

Latest

Trending

Trending