The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
FutureMedic!
well i'll give you what i got in my GCSE's compared to my AS levels...
Math - i got an A* at GCSE and an A at AS level
Biology - I got A, A* in dual award science and an A at AS Level
Chemistry - same as biology
Psychology - A* at GCSE and an A at AS level

v. useful! thanks :biggrin:
Reply 21
English Literature- GCSE - A
AS Level - A
Science - GCSE - A/A
AS Level Biology/Chemistry - B/C

I refuse to put general studies

Hoping to get A*/A/A/(b) history as
Most likely get A/A/B
Reply 22
ily_em
11.5 A* 1 A at GCSE

French GCSE: A*
AS: B
A2: B. I think I would have done better if I hadn't done it early, but I'm happy with a B.

My AS subjects this year: AAAA

Hoping for A*A*A*A next year in A2 :smile:

V nice. How much/ what sort of daily work did you need to do to get those sort of grades?
6 A*s, 4 As, 1 B (+ 1 A at AS taken alongside GCSEs in Philosophy) and I got AAAA in my ASs, undeservedly.

Geography GCSE: A*
Geography AS: A
English Language GCSE: A*

Didn't take the other two at GCSE.
GCSE: A*A*AAABBBC
AS: AABB
A-level including 1 AS: ABbC

Do really well in your AS year to bring your grades up because A2 is horrible ):
Reply 25
AAABBBBBBB at GCSE

AAAa at A level
Reply 26
graveydave
V nice. How much/ what sort of daily work did you need to do to get those sort of grades?

Um, I didn't really do any extra work other than was set as homework tbh. Though I think if I had actually put in more work in French I would have done better, so if you're doing a language, make sure you're reading websites in that language, watching the news in it (normally available on the channel's site), revising grammar etc, every chance you can!

For my other subjects (maths, physics, English language and critical thinking), I think I'm naturally ok at them, so understood everything, but if you're not sure on a topic make sure you revise them and ask your teacher for help. Before the exams make sure you do lots of past papers, especially in maths, as the maths papers are pretty similar each year. And start revising early, but if you're not that good at revising, you could just read your notes at the end of each day, then it will stick in your mind come exam time.

Also, from my experience in French, A2 gets a lot harder than AS, so make sure your grades are as high as you can achieve in the AS year, so you don't have too worry too much in A2. For example, I've worked out that to get an A in maths, all I need is 201/300 in the A2 modules, which is a C. But obviously if you're aiming for an A* you'll need to work hard all the way through as you need 90% in the A2 modules.

Another bit of advice not related to A levels: start thinking about university early, planning/ writing your personal statement before the summer hols, and visiting all the open days then too, so you will be sorted before the deadline and it will be a weight off your shoulders!
GCSE - FUDGE
AS - DUDE
A2 - Predicted BABE
Much better than everyone else on TSR, clearly :awesome:
xmarilynx
GCSE - FUDGE
AS - DUDE
A2 - Predicted BABE
Much better than everyone else on TSR, clearly :awesome:

:nah: , I got my FUDGECAFE at GCSE :awesome:
Reply 29
ily_em
Um, I didn't really do any extra work other than was set as homework tbh. Though I think if I had actually put in more work in French I would have done better, so if you're doing a language, make sure you're reading websites in that language, watching the news in it (normally available on the channel's site), revising grammar etc, every chance you can!

For my other subjects (maths, physics, English language and critical thinking), I think I'm naturally ok at them, so understood everything, but if you're not sure on a topic make sure you revise them and ask your teacher for help. Before the exams make sure you do lots of past papers, especially in maths, as the maths papers are pretty similar each year. And start revising early, but if you're not that good at revising, you could just read your notes at the end of each day, then it will stick in your mind come exam time.

Also, from my experience in French, A2 gets a lot harder than AS, so make sure your grades are as high as you can achieve in the AS year, so you don't have too worry too much in A2. For example, I've worked out that to get an A in maths, all I need is 201/300 in the A2 modules, which is a C. But obviously if you're aiming for an A* you'll need to work hard all the way through as you need 90% in the A2 modules.

Another bit of advice not related to A levels: start thinking about university early, planning/ writing your personal statement before the summer hols, and visiting all the open days then too, so you will be sorted before the deadline and it will be a weight off your shoulders!

Thank you so much! :biggrin: really helpful advice :smile:

relating to personal statements, atm I have written a few basic paragraphs and every time i get an idea i write it down. But because I am thinking of applying to Oxford, it will need to be superb. Do you have any tips relating to Oxbridge personal statements? because I noticed that you are applying for Cambridge :smile:
Revolution is my Name

Impressive! :yep:
Reply 31
Revolution is my Name

I noticed that your GCSE results are epic. May I be so impertinent as to enquire as to what 'type' of school you attended was?
i.e. state, grammar, public etc
graveydave
I noticed that your GCSE results are epic. May I be so impertinent as to enquire as to what 'type' of school you attended was?
i.e. state, grammar, public etc

State Comprehensive
Reply 33
graveydave
Thank you so much! :biggrin: really helpful advice :smile:

relating to personal statements, atm I have written a few basic paragraphs and every time i get an idea i write it down. But because I am thinking of applying to Oxford, it will need to be superb. Do you have any tips relating to Oxbridge personal statements? because I noticed that you are applying for Cambridge :smile:

You've started already?? I didn't mean you needed to do it that early, I've never seen anyone that dedicated! (I'm assuming you're applying next year?)

The general consensus on TSR seems to be that personal statements are actually a bit less important for Oxbridge than at other uni's, because they have the interview to differentiate candidates. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be good, because other universities will be reading it too! My best advice to you is to read this, the TSR personal statement advice, it's pretty useful. And also definitely post your statement to the PS helper forum, the people who work on it give really good advice, my helpers were really useful. Also show your statement to everyone, your family, teachers, etc, because a fresh pair of eyes may be able to spot something you didn't!

What subjects are you doing at AS? And what do you want to do at uni? :smile:
graveydave
Wow! May I ask as what subjects you took at As level and what you are taking for A2? :smile:

As in English Lit, English Language, Geography, Politics and General Studies. B in Critical Thinking.

A2, is all of the above, except critical thinking.
Reply 35
2A* 5A 3B 1C at GCSEs
AAAAAB (+D in general studies) at A2
Reply 36
Revolution is my Name
State Comprehensive

Woah, even more impressive.:wink:
OVER 9000 A*s at GCSE, OVER 9000 A's at AS Level (100% in every module).
A*AAAABBBBBBBCC @ GCSES
AAAB @ AS
hopefully AAAA AT A2 :smile:
Reply 39
ily_em
You've started already?? I didn't mean you needed to do it that early, I've never seen anyone that dedicated! (I'm assuming you're applying next year?)

The general consensus on TSR seems to be that personal statements are actually a bit less important for Oxbridge than at other uni's, because they have the interview to differentiate candidates. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be good, because other universities will be reading it too! My best advice to you is to read this, the TSR personal statement advice, it's pretty useful. And also definitely post your statement to the PS helper forum, the people who work on it give really good advice, my helpers were really useful. Also show your statement to everyone, your family, teachers, etc, because a fresh pair of eyes may be able to spot something you didn't!

What subjects are you doing at AS? And what do you want to do at uni? :smile:

Yes, considering that around 90% of Oxbridge applicants get an interview.

I am taking (at As):
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Maths
Further Maths

We were asked to use this online database to try to set ourselves target grades, based on our GCSE results. Mine all came out as 5As :s-smilie: which just seems so unachievable :s-smilie:

The link is really helpful, thanks loads :smile:

And I would loooove to study medicine :smile::smile::smile:

Latest